DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unsafe Mavic 2 Parallel Charging Hub

I returned my initial FStop Labs (version "6 in 1" labeled SunnyLife) unit. The USB ports on it was recessed so deeply that I was unable to fully insert my USB cables. The FStop representative was very cordial and sent me another unit. The latest one has the USB ports almost flush with the exterior of the case but unfortunatley the ports do not work when I have all four batts, my controller and iPad connected simulteanously. The iPad and controller keep turning on and off every few seconds. The M2Pro batteries all charged properly in about 1 hr and 10 minutes however. My guess is that someone at FStop removed the end cover exposing the USB ports, repositioned them and then rescrewed the unit back together. In doing so, perhaps they may have compromised the internal wiring. I don't want to open the unit myself and am going to wait for a RMA from them; hopefully tomorrow. I had no excessive heat issues and the unit seems well designed apart from the USB port issue. I agree with mavicn00b that the issue may be overloading because it works with my iPad connected by itself and no other devices.

I agree with mavicn00b that the issue may be overloading because it works with my iPad connected by itself and no other devices.
Looking back at it, I tried with just the 2 USB devices and the same issue occurs with mine, so unsure whats causing it. Are you able to test the voltages for each charging port with a multimeter ?

My Yx blue charger for Mavic 2 has stopped after less than 5 uses. Output voltage measured at 17.6V. Green led turns red, fan starts, the within a few seconds it stops charging with the red led returning to green and then the fan stops.

Have put in a returns claim with Amazon UK.
Update on my Yx Mavic 2 charger, full refund, without having to return faulty unit, so that saved me postage. I was pleasantly surprised as this was from Amazon market place, absolutely no issue, money refunded in less than three days.

Really disappointed that the Mavic 2 Yx charger did not last long, my Mavic 1 Yx charger still working after 12 months. I will hold fire before purchasing again in the hope the Yx Mavic 2 charger is uprated.

In the mean time I will just have to patiently wait for my four batteries to charge using the DJI hub. It's winter so not so bothered to fly more than a couple hours in a day.

I intend to take the Yx charger apart and se if anything obvious, some have a blown resistor. Interested if any others having problems ?

This charger gets really HOT, 146 deg F during full load, ie 3 Mavic 2 batteries + RC + 10" Samsung tablet. Too hot to touch. Worst is that it starts to cycle on/off during charging of the batteries. It's overheating, unsafe and bad for the batteries.

I also have the same charger for my Mavic Pro, it does get hot but not this hot and it's not cycling on/off on the batteries.
na.

Update to my original post - I recently purchased and tested the SunnyLife 4+2 Mavic 2 parallel charger. It DOES NOT get hot(93 deg F) and it doesn't have the issue of cycling on/off during charging.

Here is the link from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQWFRPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• SunnyLife Charger.jpg
    SunnyLife Charger.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 33
I too have bought a sunny life and experience a general wonkiness with it. Batteries don't fully charge and sometimes the indicator light on the battery keeps blinking even though the battery is practically full. Seems which charging plugs are used creates different outcomes.

I also have this charger from Fstoppers. The 6-1 charger is wonky alright. I have tested the charger with 4 batteries. I have it hooked up to a watt meter. with some simple calculations, the charger only puts out 3.5 amps per battery when 4 are charging. Worst, it does not fully charge the batteries because it doesn’t output 17.6 volts. Mine only gets to 17.3 volts. Checking the voltage of the batteries, each cell only gets to 4.31-4.32 versus 4.38-4.39 with the DJI charger. The batteries register 100% but the voltage suggest otherwise.

My original 5-1 charger performs much better with full 4.5 amp output at 17.6 volts. It gets warm but not hot. I think I’m going to keep the original until they make a better 6-1 with full 4.5 amp, 17.6 volt output

Reactions: fire124
Thanks, SteveCA for the metered info. I'm going to take your lead and wait for a 4.5 amp full 17.6 volts. Please post if anyone discovers 6-1 charger with the battery output of 17.6 same as the DJI charger.

Reactions: SteveCA
Great info. I really appreciate it. I guess I have no choice but to return it? Such a shame.

my original 5-1 charger is a keeper. it only gets to 110 degrees and fully charged my batteries with a full 4.5 amp output. I think they over did it on the new 6-1 to keep it cool. it doesn’t even get warm which may be overkill on the conservative side

I'm running a few more tests. I really want to keep it.
The 17.6 volts is only important to me because I do a lot of long hyperlapses. If i werent doing long hyperlapses, I would not notice the slight difference, which is healthier for the batteries in general (not charging to full voltage)

I'm surprised F-stop hasn't commented on these recent posts.
We are working on a fix to this issue! The 5 in 1 - we changed the internals as well as added a power switch (released) - for the 6 in 1, we are going through the process of updating the internals as well!

Reactions: dv8ed
I returned my initial FStop Labs (version "6 in 1" labeled SunnyLife) unit. The USB ports on it was recessed so deeply that I was unable to fully insert my USB cables. The FStop representative was very cordial and sent me another unit. The latest one has the USB ports almost flush with the exterior of the case but unfortunatley the ports do not work when I have all four batts, my controller and iPad connected simulteanously. The iPad and controller keep turning on and off every few seconds. The M2Pro batteries all charged properly in about 1 hr and 10 minutes however. My guess is that someone at FStop removed the end cover exposing the USB ports, repositioned them and then rescrewed the unit back together. In doing so, perhaps they may have compromised the internal wiring. I don't want to open the unit myself and am going to wait for a RMA from them; hopefully tomorrow. I had no excessive heat issues and the unit seems well designed apart from the USB port issue. I agree with mavicn00b that the issue may be overloading because it works with my iPad connected by itself and no other devices.
The circuit will be changed a little - the Ipad + Charger + 4 batteries pulls more current than the Mavic 1 series chargers hence these issues! We will keep you updated!

Reactions: dv8ed and SkySight
The circuit will be changed a little - the Ipad + Charger + 4 batteries pulls more current than the Mavic 1 series chargers hence these issues! We will keep you updated!
I wish more companies were as customer focused as FStop! I look forward to the updated unit. Thank you.

We are working on a fix to this issue! The 5 in 1 - we changed the internals as well as added a power switch (released) - for the 6 in 1, we are going through the process of updating the internals as well!
Well that is all fine and good, but I bought the 5 in 1 and the shipping to return is too expensive. Now I have ordered the 6 in 1 and it is on its way.

So now I have two chargers that are faulty and it is prohibitive to return due to shipping costs.

Not impressed at all!

Reactions: fire124
Here are my suggestions for a top notch charger:

1. 4.5 amp output
2. be sure that each port has full 17.60 volt output
3. add a charge to 50% for storage
4. include a discharge function to bring batteries to 50% storage voltage
5. make it reliable
6. Must have an on/off switch

All my higher end Lipo chargers (for my RC Heli's) have these functions. No reason why this cant be done for this charger. I am willing to pay more for such a charger. Alternatively, I may have to buy/make connectors and use the RC chargers I already own.

Reactions: FiShBuRn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329