DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the note lower left above the numbers.... Confirms that for drones only 1 number is needed, not a unique number for each drone. FAA really just wants to be able to find you.

Easy there.... you need to be a bit more specific:

Hobby/Recreational ~ 1 Registration # (operator is registered not aircraft) and the same one can go on ALL of your hobby aircraft

Commercial/P107/Public Use ~ 1 unique FAA registration # per aircraft. Each aircraft is registered.

Easy there.... you need to be a bit more specific:

Hobby/Recreational ~ 1 Registration # (operator is registered not aircraft) and the same one can go on ALL of your hobby aircraft

Commercial/P107/Public Use ~ 1 unique FAA registration # per aircraft. Each aircraft is registered.

You are correct! I have added this info to my earlier post.

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Ok probably a dumb question but I bought my drone used on ebay and have no idea if I need to register or it has already been registered. Do I need to register it and will it come up already registered if the previous owner did register it.

Forgot to add that I am a teacher that registered the drones we fly outside so I have a registration number that is assigned to me for the classroom drones (RubiQ's)

Forgot to add that I am a teacher that registered the drones we fly outside so I have a registration number that is assigned to me for the classroom drones (RubiQ's)
As far as the school drones, you must have registered them under Part 336 and as you point out it is actually your number even though you must post it on the aircraft.

As far as your personal drone, just register it. Again if you are a “recreational” user use FAA part 336. They just want to know who is piloting.

hello if you are flying as a recreational use and you have already been registered with the FAA that same number can be used in all your drones, but you say you are a teacher, and the drones are used in a school, you may need another type of registration ( commercial license ). maybe you should look at this link. User Identification Tool it can be said that the drones under a commercial registration can be flown as recreational use but each drone will need to be registered individually with the FAA and to fly under commercial use you will have to apply for a commercial license consisting of an aeronautical knowledge test ( called part 107 )

Reactions: Thomas B
Just for ideas, this is where I've installed my registration numbers using our decals.
faam2p1 Small.jpg
faam2p2 Small.jpg
faama Small.jpg
faamp Small.jpgfaap4 Small.jpg
faai1p Small.jpg

my certificate number at the school starts with FA so I'm sure
it is a 336 certification.

my certificate number at the school starts with FA so I'm sure
it is a 336 certification.

I've got several Commercial (Part 107) aircraft registered and they all start with FA so that's not how you determine one from the other. Go to FAADroneZone and look it up directly.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I've got several Commercial (Part 107) aircraft registered and they all start with FA so that's not how you determine one from the other. Go to FAADroneZone and look it up directly.
So I went to the website and tried to log in with the school email and couldn't so I used my personal email and set up an account made a password and was told I needed a character so did everything got my new number 336 registration. Then went back tried my school email with the same special character in the same password and Bazinga I did have a 336 account for the school. So now I have 2 different accounts with numbers. I'll put the new number on my mavic and leave the school ones alone.

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Another alternative is ReclaimDrone.com — Reclaim Your Lost Drone. They sell professional looking labels with a registration service that provides the information needed by the finder to return it. Reasonably priced.
They also will let you put their website on the tag. Either way their website will bring up your name, phone, email, and a custom message (mine reiterated contact info and offers a reward) if the finder goes to the website. This last part is a free service.

Reactions: tleedom
Lucky to have a plotter at home, was able to create some decals of my registration number in Gold for my Mavic Pro, placed the on the front section of the rear arm

Here is a picture of mine, can make these for anyone interested for a small fee USA only.IMG_8413.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see the point of this new rule. Supposedly for "safety" of first responders, etc. from a booby trapped drone, but really. Who seriously thinks that a criminal, terrorist, etc. is going to actually put self-identifying information on their drone ANYWHERE? Not that I personally care one way or the other, but this new rule is just plain stupid.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I don't see the point of this new rule. Supposedly for "safety" of first responders, etc. from a booby trapped drone, but really. Who seriously thinks that a criminal, terrorist, etc. is going to actually put self-identifying information on their drone ANYWHERE? Not that I personally care one way or the other, but this new rule is just plain stupid.

Except it's not in order to be able to positively identify terrorist drones - it's in order to be able to positively identify non-terrorist drones without handling them which, hopefully, will make up the majority of those found.

It’s like most feel good laws, they don’t deter Actual criminal behavior, just another law, lack of enforcement and then the ability to add new laws... it’s the US we are talking about. Everyone wants to add a new law yet ignore the thousands of laws on the books already.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lucky to have a plotter at home, was able to create some decals of my registration number in Gold for my Mavic Pro, placed the on the front section of the rear arm

Here is a picture of mine, can make these for anyone interested for a small fee USA only.View attachment 63887
Am I the only one who sees the word FART in the registration.

These are inexpensive, adhere to skins if you have one, and come in an array of colors so you can have it clearly seen or blended with drone color. I also still use a different type internally under the battery that has my phone number on it.

It’s the law. If we comply now drone pilots and aircraft hopefully will pass from the recent increased scrutiny before some really onerous rules are made.

It's a great product. You get several sizes and colors. You simply cut the number size you want out of the sheet (which has several different sizes) Peel off the back, center it (the whole number), rub your finger or a plastic tool on it to secure it and finally pull off the clear transfer tape. looks better than a marker.

Depending on location etc there could be a delay of several minutes.

If you happen to be in Europe your odds are greatly increased but in the US of A those numbers are significantly diminished.
Flightradar24 - Wikipedia

Just a portion:
Currently, about 65% of aircraft in Europe are equipped with ADS-B but only 35% in the US.

Here's a great link on FlightRadar24 with most likely more current information than my other link above:
How it works - Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker![/QUOTE

I used to be put down when I recommend Flight Radar 24.

My thought was having SOME information of what's around me is better than NO information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803