Are you excited?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

kika

Reactions
I have (had, a while ago) a good deal of experience designing electronics and talking to Chinese factories. But it never ceases to amaze me how expensive is something stupid when produced as a single item. "The USB cable for the price of Mavic" (tm) (well, not exactly, but catchy phrase).

Anyway, it finally arrived and it works. It has an MFI chip, so it's "MFI certified". I failed so far to manufacture this in black color, but it will be fixed.
Now I have two questions:
1) Is anyone interested in buying this for approximately $20 shipped within CONUS?
2) What's the ideal length? For Mavic and my own iPad mount I measured 10". Seems to me that Phantom pilots would prefer 12" (1ft). Is that correct? I never held the Phantom RC in my hands, so I'm just judging from Youtube videos.

IMG_4519.jpg IMG_4518.jpg IMG_4517.jpg

Reactions: GPilot and deansta
I actually prefer the "side-exiting" 90° ones, this blocks some thickness and seems more likely to get snatched and damage either the cable or worse the iPad's port.

Reactions: Granthamh
Seems to me that Phantom pilots would prefer 12" (1ft). Is that correct?
12" is a good size for the Phantom remote controller.

Reactions: kika
I actually prefer the "side-exiting" 90° ones, this blocks some thickness and seems more likely to get snatched and damage either the cable or worse the iPad's port.

I tried "side-exiting," if I understand correctly what you mean (like this one: Amazon.com : Inspire 2 Part 23 LIGHTNING TO USB CABLE C1 Remote Controller(PHANTOM 3 ADVANCE, PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL, PHANTOM 4, PHANTOM 4 PROFESSIONAL, Inspire Series AND MAVIC) : Camera & Photo )

The likelihood of snatching the cable off depends on the length of the "lever," i.e. how far the cable protrudes from the iDevice. My cable is the shortest in this department from what I tried. And probably the shortest possible that accommodates the MFI chip in the connector. Yes, it routes the cable under the iDevice, but the Mavic RC is thicker anyway. I can make it less "thick," but that would come at the price of much lesser reliability of the cable itself. Or I'd need to switch to much more expensive cable, which will drive the cost beyond the clouds.

$20 for a single cable? Or is it determined by length? I have been looking for this exact 90 degree cable but have always seen the side exiting one. Pricing for 6", 10", 12", 3ft., 6ft, and 10ft. actually PM me. I'll be out to SF to attend a wedding but PM me regardless. I want to know cost in bulk please.

Oh and can they go shorter? Like 2" and 3" but with thinner shield and smaller usb surround just like the USB the MB1 provides? PM me the details. I'll PM you why.

Whats the advantage
8ed07d1d9a6bb63ba42547913f1e1364.jpg

Whats the advantage
8ed07d1d9a6bb63ba42547913f1e1364.jpg

"Advantage" being that it's an Apple cable. Apple altruistically charges money for the MFI license, and to the best of my knowledge (though I wasn't looking into it much) nobody broke the encryption in this chip, so there is no cheap counterfeit alternatives. Micro USB could be as cheap as dirt. We, Apple slaves, have to pay for the privilege.

But I can get same above in apple.

Well, good for you. I didn't like these "side" cables, that's why I bothered.
Do they mention MFI in the description? If not, i wouldn't risk flying with it. The last thing i want to encounter 5 minutes into the flight is the lovely message on the iPad saying "this accessory is not supported" and disconnected app. Just not my favorite source of adrenaline.

Reactions: Mcdonas
I'm interested. Two thoughts I had that probably wouldn't pan out, just spit balling:

1) I wonder if it would be handy to have the USB side go 90 degrees "up" towards where the tablet would be mounted, rather than straight out like normal? Maybe that makes it less universal though depending on what type of mount you use.

2) any benefit to instead of regular USB out, gave it be micro USB to connect to the side of the controller? I assume not, but just throwing that idea out there.

Thanks for working on this!

I'm interested. Two thoughts I had that probably wouldn't pan out, just spit balling:
1) I wonder if it would be handy to have the USB side go 90 degrees "up" towards where the tablet would be mounted, rather than straight out like normal? Maybe that makes it less universal though depending on what type of mount you use.

Hm, what for? It will definitely interfere with the mounts like Mavmount, with lanyard attachment devices and whatnot. What are the benefits? Similar "flat angular" connector for standard USB A-type will be very bulky because connector protrudes deeply into the sleeve for stability reasons.

2) any benefit to instead of regular USB out, gave it be micro USB to connect to the side of the controller? I assume not but just throwing that idea out there.

Well, the whole point of this cable is to hide the cable and as much of the connector as possible _under_ the iPad. So the natural connection point for this cable is the bottom full size USB connector.

Reactions: Pp09nlk2n
Kika, one thing I forgot to ask is what would be the price sans MFI?

Hm, what for? It will definitely interfere with the mounts like Mavmount, with lanyard attachment devices and whatnot. What are the benefits? Similar "flat angular" connector for standard USB A-type will be very bulky because connector protrudes deeply into the sleeve for stability reasons.

Well, the whole point of this cable is to hide the cable and as much of the connector as possible _under_ the iPad. So the natural connection point for this cable is the bottom full size USB connector.

With a 90deg bend to the left of the usb and cable length 4 to 5 inches would be good for mini users

I have (had, a while ago) a good deal of experience designing electronics and talking to Chinese factories. But it never ceases to amaze me how expensive is something stupid when produced as a single item. "The USB cable for the price of Mavic" (tm) (well, not exactly, but catchy phrase).

Anyway, it finally arrived and it works. It has an MFI chip, so it's "MFI certified". I failed so far to manufacture this in black color, but it will be fixed.
Now I have two questions:
1) Is anyone interested in buying this for approximately $20 shipped within CONUS?
2) What's the ideal length? For Mavic and my own iPad mount I measured 10". Seems to me that Phantom pilots would prefer 12" (1ft). Is that correct? I never held the Phantom RC in my hands, so I'm just judging from Youtube videos.

View attachment 10776 View attachment 10775 View attachment 10774

YES absolutely interested! I have been looking for a lightning cable like this. Sign me up! If you need testing, let me know, I'd be glad to test also.

There is absolutely a demand for this.

Reactions: kika
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+