DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB Driver Will Not Install on Windows 10

kyoung

Reactions
I flew my Mavic for the first time yesterday and took pictures. I wanted to download the pictures from the Mavic to my Windows 10 PC. I didn't have my micro SD card holder with me, thus I couldn't simply pull the SD card from the Mavic and plug the SD card into my PC.

I tried to download directly from the Mavic to the PC with a USB cable. However, the drivers would not install. I got a message from the PC saying the USB drivers where not "Signed" and for my protection Windows 10 would not installed them.

I searched the DJI website looking for different drivers, but could not find them.

Has anyone else had trouble downloading pictures from the Mavic via a USB cable. If so, how did you resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Keith

I think your searching for the wrong thing. Try searching for "How to install unsigned driver in windows 10".
But before you do this because it does out your computer at a higher risk with security, I recommend the following.

I was able to see my SD card for the mavic and the inky DJI software I installed was DJI Assitant. It did warn me about one thing during the install and the instructions from DJI state you have to say YES on this one warning pop up messages.
But after that it seems to work fine. I don't even see why it would need drivers, it should just see it as a mass storage device.
Did you turn the mavic on before plugging in the USB cord. I would turn it on, let it boot all he way then plug in the usb cord. Then check under "My Computer" and see if it shows up. I will warm you when using the mavic to copy files off the SD card for me it was really really slow on windows machine and my Mac.

I hope some of this helps, good luck,
Scott

I think your searching for the wrong thing. Try searching for "How to install unsigned driver in windows 10".
But before you do this because it does out your computer at a higher risk with security, I recommend the following.

I was able to see my SD card for the mavic and the inky DJI software I installed was DJI Assitant. It did warn me about one thing during the install and the instructions from DJI state you have to say YES on this one warning pop up messages.
But after that it seems to work fine. I don't even see why it would need drivers, it should just see it as a mass storage device.
Did you turn the mavic on before plugging in the USB cord. I would turn it on, let it boot all he way then plug in the usb cord. Then check under "My Computer" and see if it shows up. I will warm you when using the mavic to copy files off the SD card for me it was really really slow on windows machine and my Mac.

I hope some of this helps, good luck,
Scott

Scott,

I started the mavic as follows:

1. Turned on transmitter
2. Start the DJI Go app
3. Turned on the Mavic
4. Let the Mavic initialize
5. Plugged in the USB cable
6. {The PC does not seem to recognize I plugged in the Mavic)
7. I started DJI Assistant program and it does detect the Mavic

Where do I go in the DJI Assistant program to see the SD card

There are several options the choose from in the Assistant Program such as:
Firmware update
Data Upload
Flight Data
Black Box
Calibration
Simulator

Which one do I ‘Click’ to see the pictures? I tried the Flight Data link, but I don’t see anything there.

Thanks,
Keith

Just turn on the mavic, leave everything else off and plug in the usb cable to the Mavic on the side

You don't need the DJI assistant app to pull the videos off. I just recommended installing it because it should install any drivers needed. But technically you shouldn't need any drivers for this, I can't say for sure since I did install the DJI assistance before I tried to pull video from the mavic with the USB cable.

Turn in the mavic
Plug in the micro USB cable to the mavic
Plug it into the computer USB port
Open "My Computer" to see your drives and you will see one called "removable drive", or maybe something else if you labeled the SD card when you formatted it.
Basically look at the same place you would see any other USB drive show up, and a new drive should show up when you plug it in. This should be the SD card on the mavic.
Open removable drive
Open the DCIM folder
Inside this folder will be the videos, photos and some other files that are for the flight data.

If this isn't working the first thing I would suggest is making sure you use the micro USB cable that came with the mavic. Now I bought the fly more kit, mine came with a cable. I don't know if the standard kit had a cable with it or not?

I guess the point is try another micro USB cable. Some cheaper cables only support power for charging and don't support the wires needed for data transfer.so if one cable doesn't work, use another one.

Side Note:
It's good to have the DJI assistant installed anyway, firmware updates are faster to download on your home computer on wifi then using a cell phone. And the firmware seems to update faster, I never have the 80% pausing others complain about. You can also update the mavic separate from the controller, or both at the same time. Refer to the manual for how to update both at the same time. I don't remdner what one needs plugged in to the computer, the controller or the mavic for updating both. But I update them them separate anyway.
I plug in the mavic first and update the firmware, reboot the mavic, confirm the firmware version then turn off then mavic.
Then plug in the controller and turn it on, then update the controller separate. Confirm the firmware version after it's done and you reboot it.
In the app click on the firmware menu for this.

Using the DJI assistant and powering on and plugging in each device separate you can also confirm the firmware currently installed.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanksf for the suggestions. I have tried your suggestions and a few more, but still am having problems. The closest I've come is hacking the registry files to allow unsigned drivers to install. However, this only works until you re-boot your computer and I still can't download the photos on the registry files. At least I can download the log files and re-calibrate the vision sensors. If I reboot the computer I then have to again hack the registry files and re-install the Assistant 2 program.

I contacted DJI and hopefully they will have a permanent solution.

If they do I'll post it.

I flew my Mavic for the first time yesterday and took pictures. I wanted to download the pictures from the Mavic to my Windows 10 PC. I didn't have my micro SD card holder with me, thus I couldn't simply pull the SD card from the Mavic and plug the SD card into my PC.

I tried to download directly from the Mavic to the PC with a USB cable. However, the drivers would not install. I got a message from the PC saying the USB drivers where not "Signed" and for my protection Windows 10 would not installed them.

I searched the DJI website looking for different drivers, but could not find them.

Has anyone else had trouble downloading pictures from the Mavic via a USB cable. If so, how did you resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Keith
if you hit shift +restart it will restart and open with a window that allows you to click "allow installation of unsigned drivers (or something like that)" then allow contact from your drone and you should be good.
Regards,
-d.
This thread will walk you through it. Sensor calibration

Yea, at this point it shouldn't be that hard to do. No need to hack the register and stuff.
Troubleshooting rule number one, try a different computer. If the same thing happens on multiple computers it may be a mavic issue and then you can at least prove it to DJI that way.

Did anyone mention to turn off the antivirus temporarily and then try it? Some antivirus programs try to scan the content on USB mass storage devices that are plugged in, and the Mavic me not like that. Also if you're using USB port 3.0 (usually blue ports) try one that's a 2.0 or not blue. I know it sounds weird, but trouble shooting is sometimes about thinking outside the box and I've seen weirder stuff happened.

But it could be a software issue on the mavic not properly mounting the SD card as a mass storage sharing over USB.
Since your USB seem to be part of the possible issue, I would try to do a reset to stock settings and update the firmware on the mavic.

If it still does the same stuff on more then one computer after a clean install of the firmware and reset the odd call it a mavic hardware problem.

Man, I don't miss tech support anymore, or PC desktop platform engineering. Wait, I don't miss windows, yea that's it.
Unfortunately I bought a Windows PC last year for some video editing software and portability, but when it screws up I go back to the trustee Mac And Linux.

The key is you do NOT need any driver, it appears as a standard USB drive - As long as you DON'T install the assistant. Once you do it seems to intercept the functionality and you can't access the card anymore.

Errr, I forgot to ask one question. Is this a work computer or laptop? Some companies, ok a lot of companies for security reasons install software that can block USB mass storage to prevent data leakage and theft. Just figured I would throw that last part in the mix. But if it is a work computer they won't disable this security software or policy for you, but then trying another computer should work.
Keep us posted and good luck.

The key is you do NOT need any driver, it appears as a standard USB drive - As long as you DON'T install the assistant. Once you do it seems to intercept the functionality and you can't access the card anymore.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong, their are so many unknowns when dealing with a computer and not being in front of it to see what other software could be causing a conflict. He originally tried without DJI assistant installed first and it didn't work on the beginning of the thread.
I'm almost sure I can access the SD card with the mavic and I have DJI assistant installed. But I find it easier to also pull the SD card and copy the data off.

Let me confirm this, I'll go brand my Surface Pro 4 with DJI assistant and see if I can access the SD card on the mavic.

I just tried on 2 computers that have assistant installed, no card. Third one that never had assistant installed, card's there.
The entries in the device manager that appear for the card reader on the "clean" PC aren't even there on the others, seems if the DJI drivers are found it switches to a completely different mode (a composite device with multiple subdevices but no disk drive).

EDIT: scratch that, the 3rd PC also had assistant installed once, but an old version (1.0.4). With that if assistant is launched the card disappears, when it isn't the card is there.
Could be a bug with newer assistant/drivers.

OK, managed to get the drive back on both PCs. Seems the drivers indeed got borked at some point along the update path. Will try to put a quick write up after eating.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your findings. this is what I just tried and tested on both windows and Mac with DJI assistant installed and latest firmware on the mavic and controller.

Since the Mavic is my first DJI drone I have the following version of "DJI Assistant 2" installed, version 1.0.9 on both MAC and Windows 10

I still see the SD card when the app is NOT running.
Once you run assistance it does change the mode and does a soft reboot on the mavic to basically have access to system logs on internal inboard storage and control for the boot loader for firmware uodates. When I close the assistant app the SD card comes back. This acts the same on Mac and Windows 10 with latest OS updates.

This also gave me a chance to confirm something else. I was using a SanDisk extreme 64GB card with a U1 rating. Specs on the card claim to be write 80 and read 20.
Recently decided to get a faster card since I needed the SanDisk hack for my GoPro hero 4 silver. GoPro's are picky with SD cards and my other cards had SD errors since I moved my 64GB to the Mavic

When reading from the USB cable of the mavic SD card mass storage to the computer using the micr USB cable it was slow, really slow and I thought it was because the read spread of the SanDisk card.

So I bought a Samsung pro U3 64GB SD with the write of 90 and read of 80. What a difference when using the USB 3.0 card reader or putting the SD card directly into the SDXC card reader on the computer. I can now pull my 4K video at about 85, copy it faster to the computer for editing.

But again, when I tried the USB 3.0 port with the micro USB cable to the mavic it reads at 10 to 11. I also tried multiple quality Micro USB cables in case it was a problem with the cable that came with the mavic. Something in the mavic firmware is not taking advantage of the full read speed for using a Micro SDXC card hardware reader. We know it writes fast, but read speed is horrible. Even a USB 2.0 SD card reads faster then using the Mavic with a micro USB cable.

I think DJI has some work to do with the drivers in the firmware OS on the mavic or decided to leave high speed SDXC high speed card reading support out of the firmware because they wanted the space for other things?

Either way, I won't be using the MicroUSB cable to the mavic for pulling videos or photos from the SD card. I will only use the micro USB port on the mavic for updating firmware with DJI assistant since that's faster then using the cell phone, and I can update the mavic and controller separately and confirmeach device is done. Plus I never get the 80% wait hold people complain about when using a phone to do the update.

It's way to slow, the mavic heats up sitting on the desk and ultrasonic sensors clicking away bother my dog. People forget to sometimes remove the gimbal lock since they are not thinking Pre Flight Check, and just wanting to copy video off the card so this strains the motors when they forget and don't see the error since they don't turn in the controller sometimes for coping videos from the mavic. So many negatives to even bother with the mavics internal SDXC card reader port on the mavic as a reader to your computer.

My personal suggestion, buy a USB 3.0 card reader, mine was a generic from microcenter for $10.

Scott

But again, when I tried the USB 3.0 port with the micro USB cable to the mavic it reads at 10 to 11
That's pretty much to be expected, fast speeds need direct hardware bridges. Since the Mavic is made of several separate subsystems the SD card's direct tie is likely to the camera's SoC (what really needs it), and the USB port is likely connected to a separate "system management" processor, the data having to go through whatever less than ideal interface there is between the 2 systems.

Cameras never make good card readers, good to have the functionality if you're stuck but it's never the best way to get the data out.

Yea, I know it has to do a lot with the processors onboard, bus speeds, memory speeds, and other hardware factors.
It's just a shame that is has a Micro SDXC card hardware support (even though they won't admit it or officially support it) since it can read 128GB and 256GB size cards with eXFAT formatted partitions and still run so slow.

Most camera make made card readers because they use older chipset hardware SD card readers like SDHC and only support up to a 32GB card. I don't own many things that has support for SDXC, but my one cannon camera does and it pulls files fairly fast.
And my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 does also support SDXC and now that I bought the Samsung Pro SD card I was surprised to see a cheap USB 3.0 $10 generic card reader pull files faster then the built in SDCX card port on my Surface Pro 4, lol.

But the mavic has some fast memory if you look at iFixit tear down and some of the chips identified. Still waiting for the full detailed teardown from iFixit, but they did identify the following
1GB of LPDDR2 SD RAM
The main board seems to run a Arm Cortex A7 1.5Ghz SoC
Samsung eMMC MCP
For video and imaging it uses the Ambearella ARM A9-A1 processor so the main A7 doesn't need to handle that part when running everything else.

So hardware specs are defiantly faster then any of my cameras.
I figured with these specs to see faster read speed when the drone isn't flying wouldn't be timmich to expect. I kind of wish you could put the mavic into a card read mode only and turn off all the other sensors and job processing when it's just sitting on the desk with a USB cable plugged in. I think they leave it all running for the simulator since the simulator is on the mavic?
Scott

Thanks for all the input.

To answer some of the questions/comments made.

1. This is a personal computer, not a work computer.

2. I tried rebooting the system using the Shift/Restart method and the disabling 'signed' driver requirement. This allowed me to re-install Assisstant 2 v1.05. With this I was able calibrate the vision senors and firmware, but did not allow me to access the SD card. When I reboot the system you lose the functionality of firmware updates and vision calibration. To regain it you have to uninstall Assistant 2, reboot the computer with the Shift/Restart, etc. proceed and re-install Assistant 2.

3. Before I even downloaded Assistant 2 I tried simply plugging in the Mavic to access the SD card and it didn't work. I then followed one of the suggestions above and downloaded Assistant 2 hoping updated drivers would be included in Assistant 2, but they apparently were not.

4. I tried this version of Assistant 2 on two different Windows 10 machines with the same negative results.

I've contacted DJI and will again to let them know that this not a single problem that only I have, but in fact has caused problems for others as well.

Interestingly, I was in a drone store on Friday and they were running Assistant 2 v1.0.9-2 on a PC and it worked fine. I'm believing the problem is with the newer version(s) of Assistant 2.

I'll wait for DJI's response before I try Kilrah's suggestion.

Does anyone know where I can get an earlier version of Assistant 2. I have search for it on the web and can't find it.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks,

Keith
try this it works. step by step

Average Dad,

Thanks for your video. I had tried this approach already, but it only worked the first time. I would lose the functionality each time I re-booted the computer and would have to go through all your steps again to get it working.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21