DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used Drone

minipro3

Reactions
I was just given a used drone. It is registered to the old owner. Do I just register it for myself, does old owner have to do anything to remove name or their register from it ?

Yes, if it is bound to their DJI Account, They need to go into the Fly App and unbind it from their account before you can bind it to your's.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't describe problem correctly. It's not a DJI drone. I just want to know about registering it, nothing about binding it or pairing it

Sorry, my bad. I didn't describe problem correctly. It's not a DJI drone. I just want to know about registering it, nothing about binding it or pairing it
Where to you want to register it? Where is t currently registered?

currently registered in New Hampshire, I live in Florida, would register it there
Florida doesn't require drone registration, so with what agency or business do you plan to register it?

Finally, so you are talking about registering with the FAA. Go to FAADroneZone.FAA.gov to register it, either as a recreational owner or FAA part 107 certificate holder.
The previous owner will need to remove the registration from his/her FAA account.

@minipro3 are you a recreational flyer ,if so then if you are already registered with the FAA ,then you just put the same number on any drone you own, its you who is registered not the drone itself
but if you are flying commercially under part 107 then each drone has to have its own reg number displayed on it

So when we talk about registering a drone, isn't it assumed we are talking about the FAA ? Just wondering
Well, no. No presumptions. It could be registered with DJI.

currently registered in New Hampshire, I live in Florida, would register it there
As has been stated by OMM, if you have never had the need to register a drone in the past with the FAA, then you should start a new account for yourself with the FAA. Be sure that you use the real FAA site which will cost you $5 for 2 years.

There are a few fake but real looking sites that charge you $100 or more to register. However all they are doing is registering for you with the real FAA site and paying the $5 for you but charging you a handling fee of up to $100 or more to do what you could easily do yourself for that $5, directly with the FAA.

If you are not registering for commercial use, such as a Part 107 pilot, then you are registering as a recreational user and when you do that, you are doing it as yourself, not as a drone. Therefore, you can fly as many other drones as you wish, but the registration number is on you and not on the drone.

When registering there may be a section asking you for the drone's serial number, if you are a recreational only flyer, then simply ignore that part and do not enter any drone serial number.

The previous owner does not have to unregister their drone for you to register it. If your registration is recreational, it is for you, not the drone. You just put your registration number on it. If Part 107, then the number applies to each individual drone.

Reactions: minipro3
If the news drone has RID in it I would assume it would have to be registered on the drone zone regardless if it was recreational or part 107.

Reactions: minipro3
As has been stated by OMM, if you have never had the need to register a drone in the past with the FAA, then you should start a new account for yourself with the FAA. Be sure that you use the real FAA site which will cost you $5 for 2 years.

There are a few fake but real looking sites that charge you $100 or more to register. However all they are doing is registering for you with the real FAA site and paying the $5 for you but charging you a handling fee of up to $100 or more to do what you could easily do yourself for that $5, directly with the FAA.

If you are not registering for commercial use, such as a Part 107 pilot, then you are registering as a recreational user and when you do that, you are doing it as yourself, not as a drone. Therefore, you can fly as many other drones as you wish, but the registration number is on you and not on the drone.

When registering there may be a section asking you for the drone's serial number, if you are a recreational only flyer, then simply ignore that part and do not enter any drone serial number.
Thanks much !

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming