DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Mavic 3 for wildlife sequence

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Had a go this week at telling a story of a fire threatening a black-footed rock wallaby colony in outback Australia. You'll notice I also used the optical 7X on a few occasions, would love to know your thoughts on how it matches up with the rest as well. I wont leave this online for too long, best viewed in 4K.

Looks great to me!
The crows sure were annoying, though!
Thanks Gadget, but they ain't crows. They are black kites and are unique for a couple of reasons. They are nicknamed firehawks as they are supposed to pick up firesticks and drop them to start new fires, although nobody has captured this yet (I'm trying!) The other is that they can snatch things in mid air and feed them into their mouths as they fly, which is much more efficient than landing to do that.

Looked fine for sure.
Those birds included a lot of different species, busy looking for roasted insects and small reptiles.
The rock wallabies are pretty well protected up in the rock faces, lots of hiding places deep into the caves up there.
yep, but you have to add the perceived drama and threats, a bit like reality shows!

Thanks Gadget, but they ain't crows. They are black kites and are unique for a couple of reasons. They are nicknamed firehawks as they are supposed to pick up firesticks and drop them to start new fires, although nobody has captured this yet (I'm trying!) The other is that they can snatch things in mid air and feed them into their mouths as they fly, which is much more efficient than landing to do that.
Cool! Firehawks it is!
Wasn't sure if they were just harassing your drone, or going about their own fire starting business! They sure were everywhere!

Reactions: christangey
Cool! Firehawks it is!
Wasn't sure if they were just harassing your drone, or going about their own fire starting business! They sure were everywhere!
No they totally ignored me and kept chasing the flying insects, small mammals and reptiles disturbed by the fire

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Very well done. You did a fantastic job with the music. The intensity of the music matched the increasing drama of the shots. Great work on scene variety and selection.
I would like to have seen some tele work on the wallabies (sp?), to better see their anxiety. It almost looked like they were spooked by the aircraft.

Very well done. You did a fantastic job with the music. The intensity of the music matched the increasing drama of the shots. Great work on scene variety and selection.
I would like to have seen some tele work on the wallabies (sp?), to better see their anxiety. It almost looked like they were spooked by the aircraft.
thank you, the irony with the rock wallabies is that they are spooked by their own shadow anyway but I have minutes and minutes of footage of them completely relaxed. I had to look really hard to find the split seconds when they retreated... for the drama of the edit ...but they always came back less than a minute later. I may come back one day to get some 7X on them but I am concerned about matching the 8 bit with the 10 bit color space.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Great work as usual Chris, I could see in some of the fire scenes it looked a little softer. I would guess those were shot with the telephoto lens (I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to get that close to the fire). The color really didn't seem to be affected too much from 10 to 8 bit that I could tell. Are you shooting 24fps or 50/60fps (or a mixture of both?). Well done as usual and if you hadn't mentioned the zoom, I probably wouldn't even have noticed to be honest.

Some great shots and editing. Agree with the comments on the music adding to the drama. Wouldn’t look out of place in a David Attenborough documentary - well done!

Had a go this week at telling a story of a fire threatening a black-footed rock wallaby colony in outback Australia. You'll notice I also used the optical 7X on a few occasions, would love to know your thoughts on how it matches up with the rest as well. I wont leave this online for too long, best viewed in 4K.
Beautiful coverage of the ‘event’. Thought at one stage that your drone might have been endangered, but then I realised what the Kites were really interested in.

Great work. Only thing that got me was the excess slow motion at the start, or at least it felt that way. Super work though.
Agreed, and on the total re-cut coming (I tend to do that) I’ve replaced it with the normal speed version
I always enjoy your work. Please keep them coming. Cheers.
Thanks PHZ

Beautiful coverage of the ‘event’. Thought at one stage that your drone might have been endangered, but then I realised what the Kites were really interested in.
yes flying bugs and escaping mice and reptiles made them completely ignore the drone!

Some great shots and editing. Agree with the comments on the music adding to the drama. Wouldn’t look out of place in a David Attenborough documentary - well done!
Interesting you say that...😉

I think this is the singularly best drone video I have ever seen. The videography, color grading, music selection, and editing are, to my taste, makes this simply my favorite video of any of the many videos I have seen. Incredible subject matter doesn’t hurt but your cutting and choice of camera angles and slow movements were truly impressive.

I think this is the singularly best drone video I have ever seen. The videography, color grading, music selection, and editing are, to my taste, makes this simply my favorite video of any of the many videos I have seen. Incredible subject matter doesn’t hurt but your cutting and choice of camera angles and slow movements were truly impressive.
That's a tough one to respond to AK but appreciate your kind words. I think I just try to get slightly better each time. I think if you aim too high, literally and figuratively, that's when things start to go wrong!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78