DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical photos?

rikbrown

Reactions
From the FAQ,

6.Why can't the Mavic 2's gimbal shoot vertically as the Mavic Pro does?

The Mavic 2's gimbal structure is optimized for increased stiffness, meaning that the camera is unable to rotate the full 90° needed to shoot vertically. However, you can choose the Vertical Mode in Panorama to get a stitched vertical photo.
Does this mean no more of the unique top down photos? As in the gimbal can’t be rotated to point directly down? Or is it referring to something else?

Huge fail.

Instagram is vertical, so they just tossed out a huge chunk of their potential buyers.

I just saw this. Its the mode i use more than any other as i make a lot of panoramic shots.
And for panoramic shots you need vertical...
That could be a huge problem for me. They may have just wiped out the panorama option.

Edit:- you can look directly down but it cant flip horizontal to vertical as the other ones do.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I agree it would have been nice to see that feature carried forward.

On MPP I don’t believe the gimbal moves to 90 degrees. Just the sensor rotates. I have watched mine on the ground a few times.

Paul C.

Rotating sensor would be fine if it still allows vertical images. At least for panoramas.
It also wouldnt screw up your circular polariser if fitted.

I agree it would have been nice to see that feature carried forward.

On MPP I don’t believe the gimbal moves to 90 degrees. Just the sensor rotates. I have watched mine on the ground a few times.

Paul C.

The entire camera rotates (along with any filter on the front)

The entire camera rotates (along with any filter on the front)
Thanks for the correction

I thought I had watched this once on the ground and was impressed that it seemed to be a internal rotation.

Feature will be missed by me.

Paul C

Does anyone know if the Mavic Air can shoot totaly vertical at 90 degrees to the ground?

I just purchased the Mavic 2 Pro but I just canceled the order. As discussed, Neither new Mavic drone can shoot totally vertically at 90 degrees. That's the most important feature for me. I am asking customer service to see if this applies to both ZOOM and PRO

Does anyone know if the Mavic Air can shoot totaly vertical at 90 degrees to the ground?

I just purchased the Mavic 2 Pro but I just canceled the order. As discussed, Neither new Mavic drone can shoot totally vertically at 90 degrees. That's the most important feature for me. I am asking customer service to see if this applies to both ZOOM and PRO
The original Mavic Pro had a Portrait Mode to give you a vertical shot instead of a landscape shot. All DJI drones look straight down.

Instagram is vertical, so they just tossed out a huge chunk of their potential buyers.
Instagram is 1080px max on either direction, and default is square, not vertical. You would THINK that a 12 or 20MP camera can give you that even if you've got to crop into it, no?

Mavic Air has no vertical feature like the Mavic Pro.

Paul C

I was a bit concerned as I am about to buy my first drone and some of the shots I have planned are to be looking directly down to the ground. When I saw the gimble not being able to look 90 degrees I was concerned to asked DJI outright. They replied yes:

Quick question please. Stated somewhere on your sites is this "The Mavic 2's gimbal structure is optimized for increased stiffness, meaning that the camera is unable to rotate the full 90° needed to shoot vertically. However, you can choose the Vertical Mode in Panorama to get a stitched vertical photo." as i would be 100% new to the droning world and some of the landscape shots i require to get that 90 degree angle, does the verticle pano allow for this as part of verticle pano setting which can be then cropped, or is it not possible to quite get a full on a top down view, or would I be better off with the Mavic 1 or Phantom 4 in that instance?

Hi Thom, please give me a few minutes to read through your quick question

ok, no worries mate

Hi Thom, the controllable range for the gimbal is Pitch: -90° to +30° Roll: 0° or 90° (Horizontally and vertically)

so it can do a complete top down vertical view?

Yes, that's correct

The FAQs are clear. The M2 gimbals are not capable to rotate 90 degrees. But the specs at the manual have a contradiction, see the attached screenshot

What dont you all get???
The PITCH can change, from -90 (straight down) to +30, (slightly up from horiz.)
It cant ROTATE the camera by 90* to give a PORTRAIT mode.
However, it can take a panorama, in a vertical plane, which when stiched, will give you a portrait ...

Instagram is 1080px max on either direction, and default is square, not vertical. You would THINK that a 12 or 20MP camera can give you that even if you've got to crop into it, no?

It's not the same. When you pay close to $2000, you should be able to see exactly what your video will look like, rather than just estimating what will be in when it's cropped.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803