DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virtual Litchi Mission

Thanks!

The attached might help with .Net and VC++ versions. And yeah, I have been un-/re-installing many times desperate to get it working again. It seems VLM is running. A window manager issue?, the VLM window is just not showing up! I've had this problem at least twice before where I went through a similar exercise of installing new and old VLM versions. But I really don't know what the "magic sauce" is that gets it to work. And searching the forums and the web it seems I am not wholly alone. It isn't something just on my system.

You're welcome to log into my machine if there's a way. It would be nice to get this one solved - you've done such good work!

Cheers!
I wonder if there is somehow a mismatch with the VC++ package

I built VLM against Visual Studio 2015 C++ Redistributable (x64) 14.0.24215 which I think is the latest version for VS2015.

You seem to be using a more recent package designed for VS2017.

In years gone by this would certainly have been a problem but Microsoft claim that they have got it under control these days:

C++ Binary Compatibility between Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017

You might want to try using 14.0.24215 just in case.

N

Hello, and sorry if this has been answered before, I'm having trouble trying to search through everything in this thread.

My problem is, no matter what I do my POIs and Waypoints list height in meters rather than feet.
I have set the VLM setting to Imperial, Litchi to imperial, I see that the CSV that is created expresses height in feet, Google Earth 3d setting is in feet.
However, all of my heights are listed in meters when I am viewing the virtual mission in Google Earth.

Any ideas?

thanks,
BrianGGG

Hello, and sorry if this has been answered before, I'm having trouble trying to search through everything in this thread.

My problem is, no matter what I do my POIs and Waypoints list height in meters rather than feet.
I have set the VLM setting to Imperial, Litchi to imperial, I see that the CSV that is created expresses height in feet, Google Earth 3d setting is in feet.
However, all of my heights are listed in meters when I am viewing the virtual mission in Google Earth.

Any ideas?

thanks,
BrianGGG
Hi Brian,

I think you must be talking about the popups which appear when you click on a WP or POI in Google Earth.

You are quite right - the heights are incorrectly displayed in meters even when the units in VLM are set to imperial.

This is most certainly a bug and one which I will correct shortly. Hopefully this will not stop you using VLM in the meantime - I believe the error is only limited to the labeling on the popups.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for pointing out the bug.

Neil

Hi Brian,

I think you must be talking about the popups which appear when you click on a WP or POI in Google Earth.

You are quite right - the heights are incorrectly displayed in meters even when the units in VLM are set to imperial.

This is most certainly a bug and one which I will correct shortly. Hopefully this will not stop you using VLM in the meantime - I believe the error is only limited to the labeling on the popups.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for pointing out the bug.

Neil

Hey Neil. Thanks very much for answering.

To tell you the truth, this is the only thing that I can find with VLM that is negative at all!

What an awesome program. I ran through a mission several times virtually to get the shots that I wanted. Then I ran the actual mission and it was nearly identical.

I'll deal with the meters in the popups in return. :)

BrianGGG

I wonder if there is somehow a mismatch with the VC++ package

I built VLM against Visual Studio 2015 C++ Redistributable (x64) 14.0.24215 which I think is the latest version for VS2015.

You seem to be using a more recent package designed for VS2017.

In years gone by this would certainly have been a problem but Microsoft claim that they have got it under control these days:

C++ Binary Compatibility between Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017

You might want to try using 14.0.24215 just in case.

N

So here's a data point for you. I uninstalled v2.2.0 and reinstalled v2.1.0. Same problem as before. So I uninstalled v2.1.0 and installed v2.0.0. And voila - it works! VLM behaves normally as expected! Was there a change introduced in v2.1.0 that you can think of that might have introduced the problem? Any thoughts?

So here's a data point for you. I uninstalled v2.2.0 and reinstalled v2.1.0. Same problem as before. So I uninstalled v2.1.0 and installed v2.0.0. And voila - it works! VLM behaves normally as expected! Was there a change introduced in v2.1.0 that you can think of that might have introduced the problem? Any thoughts?

There were two versions of V2.0.0 - the first was compiled for what Microsoft call "anycpu" (yeh right!) but this caused issues which I was not able to address because I do not access to a 32 bit machine. Since there are hardly any 32bit machines around these days I decided to simplify things and so made a 64bit only version. This seemed to keep most people happy - I guess that's the one that works for you now?

Version 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 were compiled in the same way as 2.0.0 - but I used updated versions of the CEF routines which are used for the Chrome browser. That's the only difference that I can think of. I have checked the CEF forums and nobody is reporting errors like this.

There are now more than 500 regular VLM users out there (I can tell this from the Google Elevation API stats) and as far as I know, most have no problems. This kind of startup problem has been reported before by other folks but is usually due to corrupted cache files which can be cleared using CTRL on program start.

Your case seems different. Is there anything very unusual about your hardware - graphics card for example?

Did you check the VC++ versions? I think you should uninstall all versions of VC++ 2013, 2015 and 2017 and try the installation again.

REQUEST - If anybody else has had similar issues but has managed to solve them then please contribute!

Thanks

N

Namirda VLM stopped working today - i hear it start but screen didnt come up
I reinstalled and still the same [VLM 2.1.0 x64...]
i tried starting with run as admin .... still not showing up

Reading some of the comments
Find file location - {CTRL} dbl click exe file restatarted the prog 2.1.0

Where can i update to v2.2 ? thanks

Namirda VLM stopped working today - i hear it start but screen didn't come up
I reinstalled and still the same [VLM 2.1.0 x64...]
i tried starting with run as admin .... still not showing up
That's a good description of the problem I am seeing - both with v2.1.0 and v2.2.0.

But here's some new insight on the problem at least for me, that FINALLY got v2.2.0 behaving at it should.

First my environment. On my Win10 Pro machine in the Windows File Explorer Options settings, I had "Single-click to open an item" set. I did NOT have set the more common default "Double-click to open an item" set. Because of this, apparently, I could never get any response from CTRL Single-click the VLM executable to run (not v2.0.0, v2.1.0 or v2.2.0). CTRL Single-click VLM would, I understand, allow a reset to an initial configuration. It just didn't work with Single-click.

On a whim, I changed my Single-click setting back to the more common Double-click in File Explorer. Now I COULD successfully start and reinitialize VLM v2.2.0 with a CTRL Double-click of the VLM executable. V2.2.0 VLM did then start and behave normally - yeah!

Going one step further I have reset File Explorer Options back to my preferred Single-click, and VLM v2.2.0 still continues to run and behave normally!

Lastly - again, hats off, a round of applause and a resounding THANK YOU to Namirda for a really cool and immensely useful application! Very nicely done!!

Attachments

• File Explorer Options.jpg
    File Explorer Options.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: namirda
That's a good description of the problem I am seeing - both with v2.1.0 and v2.2.0.

But here's some new insight on the problem at least for me, that FINALLY got v2.2.0 behaving at it should.

First my environment. On my Win10 Pro machine in the Windows File Explorer Options settings, I had "Single-click to open an item" set. I did NOT have set the more common default "Double-click to open an item" set. Because of this, apparently, I could never get any response from CTRL Single-click the VLM executable to run (not v2.0.0, v2.1.0 or v2.2.0). CTRL Single-click VLM would, I understand, allow a reset to an initial configuration. It just didn't work with Single-click.

On a whim, I changed my Single-click setting back to the more common Double-click in File Explorer. Now I COULD successfully start and reinitialize VLM v2.2.0 with a CTRL Double-click of the VLM executable. V2.2.0 VLM did then start and behave normally - yeah!

Going one step further I have reset File Explorer Options back to my preferred Single-click, and VLM v2.2.0 still continues to run and behave normally!

Lastly - again, hats off, a round of applause and a resounding THANK YOU to Namirda for a really cool and immensely useful application! Very nicely done!!
Well done for getting to the bottom of the problem - I would never have thought of that!!

And if you ever get to understand what is causing the occasional corruption of the cache files then please let me know!

And thanks for the hat tip!

N

Question on VLM use
There is an option in setting to display the curve or the "WP/corner" path. The curve radius is adjustable at the WP (great)
Q1: Which path will the Aircraft take curve or corner and is there a way to direct at the WP level which to take ??
Q2: If the Curve path is selected and or taken by the AC will it still trigger the actions ??
Q3: I notice there is a pause occasionally on my mission at the waypoint and i would like to have a smooth transition and not pause - is that possible or is this inherent of litchi missions??

Thanks in advance

Question on VLM use
There is an option in setting to display the curve or the "WP/corner" path. The curve radius is adjustable at the WP (great)
Q1: Which path will the Aircraft take curve or corner and is there a way to direct at the WP level which to take ??
Q2: If the Curve path is selected and or taken by the AC will it still trigger the actions ??
Q3: I notice there is a pause occasionally on my mission at the waypoint and i would like to have a smooth transition and not pause - is that possible or is this inherent of litchi missions??

Thanks in advance
Hi

I think you are really asking questions about the Litchi software rather than VLM. However I can try to answer anyway...

1) You can select "Straight Lines" or "Curved Turns" in the Mission Hub Settings. However this is a general setting for the whole mission - as far as I know there is no way to select this at the WP level.
2) If you choose "Curved Turns" then the actions will not be triggered.
3) If you want smooth transitions then choose "Curved Turns".

N

Hi

1) You can select "Straight Lines" or "Curved Turns" in the Mission Hub Settings. However this is a general setting for the whole mission - as far as I know there is no way to select this at the WP level.
I believe you can override it by setting zero/non-zero curve radius for each waypoint. If two waypoints have zero radius, actions will work for second one.

Reactions: goixiz
Hi

I think you are really asking questions about the Litchi software rather than VLM. However I can try to answer anyway...

3) If you want smooth transitions then choose "Curved Turns".

N
Thank you. Yes a was for litchi but the q base on vlm settings I am using. The answers u provided greatly helps when I plan my mission.

Suggestion
Have the curve/straight as a stand-alone selection and display only that selection to remove clutter and clear which path the ac will take.
Consecutive waypoints to duplicate the previous wp to minimize each wp changes (other than x,y) automate the yaw to follow the direction of travel will optimize flight if no poi
Just my 2c. But great program as is

I believe you can override it by setting zero/non-zero curve radius for each waypoint. If two waypoints have zero radius, actions will work for second one.
Thanks. If I set 0 radius. With curve on will my action still be triggered at that wp? I Will try later

Windows 7 Google earth Pro VLM 2.2.0 Mavick pro.

Thank you for this awesome software. Writing /watching/flying waypoints has been on my wishlist since I heard about the ability and is a dream come true. After spending some time with it and the hub I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answers to. Sorry if any of this has been asked before I have done some searching but cannot find definitive answers directly related to my questions.

1.When I make mission in VLM and press "export to CSV file" google earth opens and shows the mission. When I "fly it" the camera actions do not show/work it just flies the mission. What am I doing wrong? When I actually fly the mission everything works fine but I would like to see camera actions in VLM/Earth. I am not using a POI so I have the default gimbal setting set to "disabled".

2.If I set the mission to TNW Google earth tour will always rotates the drone to face the waypoint after the one it is heading to. Is that normal? To me next waypoint is the one I am heading to thus the "to next waypoint" TNW. Again when I fly the mission it works fine just not in Earth. I thought I read that the gimbal settings would be visable so I guess I must have something set wrong?

3.Question about the hub itself: I was reading that camera actions will not work if set to "curved lines" If I set it to "curved lines" but have a camera action on a straight line will the action trigger or does it have to be set on straight lines to get it to work period? For example" Curved lines on =No camera actions will function at all?

4.When I set waypoints in the hub using TNW everything works fine except for the last waypoint it always points in a random direction and it blocks me from changing it so at first I ended up switching to "custom" and manually setting ALL the waypoints just to ge the last one to come out right. Is there a way to get the last waypoint to face where you want it in TNW? Again I do not have any POI so I can't choose to POI. That being said, My workaround has been to choose a POI I want the last waypoint to face then if I delete the POI the heading stays there (good) but the heading remains unchangeable. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Member Bazucan posted this in a separate thread, but found it usefull to post this here as well.. This work perfect for Mac users, as you can run this through the Chrome browser..

Kudos to Namirda and Bazucan.

He went further and made Google Chrome extension that acts almost exactly as VLM.
Here is Chrome Litchi Virtual Mission

Usage:
1. Install extension in Chrome by clicking the link above
2. Install google-earth(-pro) desktop app
3. Go to Mission Hub - Litchi
4. Select a mission, click "MISSIONS"->"Export as CSV", it will download .kml file
5. Click downloaded .kml file to open it in google earth (or import it into google earth manually)
6. In google earth click mission name under "Temporary places" and double-click "Virtual mission"
7. Enjoy :)

He has added usage video as well in that thread. .

Windows 7 Google earth Pro VLM 2.2.0 Mavick pro.

Thank you for this awesome software. Writing /watching/flying waypoints has been on my wishlist since I heard about the ability and is a dream come true. After spending some time with it and the hub I have a few questions that I am hoping to get answers to. Sorry if any of this has been asked before I have done some searching but cannot find definitive answers directly related to my questions.

1.When I make mission in VLM and press "export to CSV file" google earth opens and shows the mission. When I "fly it" the camera actions do not show/work it just flies the mission. What am I doing wrong? When I actually fly the mission everything works fine but I would like to see camera actions in VLM/Earth. I am not using a POI so I have the default gimbal setting set to "disabled".

2.If I set the mission to TNW Google earth tour will always rotates the drone to face the waypoint after the one it is heading to. Is that normal? To me next waypoint is the one I am heading to thus the "to next waypoint" TNW. Again when I fly the mission it works fine just not in Earth. I thought I read that the gimbal settings would be visable so I guess I must have something set wrong?

3.Question about the hub itself: I was reading that camera actions will not work if set to "curved lines" If I set it to "curved lines" but have a camera action on a straight line will the action trigger or does it have to be set on straight lines to get it to work period? For example" Curved lines on =No camera actions will function at all?

4.When I set waypoints in the hub using TNW everything works fine except for the last waypoint it always points in a random direction and it blocks me from changing it so at first I ended up switching to "custom" and manually setting ALL the waypoints just to ge the last one to come out right. Is there a way to get the last waypoint to face where you want it in TNW? Again I do not have any POI so I can't choose to POI. That being said, My workaround has been to choose a POI I want the last waypoint to face then if I delete the POI the heading stays there (good) but the heading remains unchangeable. Is this normal?

1) VLM does not support camera actions at all. It is designed to simulate "Curved" missions where there is a heading and gimbal setting defined at each and every waypoint.

2) I think you will have more success if you choose "Custom" instead of TNW in the mission settings and then choose a heading at each waypoint which is tangential to the curve at the waypoint. Try it and see.

If you select TNW then the heading at each waypoint will be exactly towards the next waypoint which is probably not what you want for a curved mission.

3) As far as I know, you cannot use camera actions if the mission is set to "Curved Turns"

4) Same answer as for question 2. I would avoid TNW because it is not usually what you want for curved missions.

I generally try to use a POI for almost every waypoint in my own missions - it works really well and it is much easier to control the gimbal angle that way. For each waypoint I choose a POI and initially set the gimbal to "Focus POI". If the VLM mission shows that the gimbal angles need some adjustment then change the gimbal mode at the offending waypoint to "Interpolate" and make the adjustment as required.

N

Reactions: rp68
I have just uploaded VLM V2.3.0 to dropbox - link in Post #1 of this thread.

Just a very few small bug fixes this time :

1) Fix bug in GE popups to honour unit selection.
2) Fix bug due to rounding error with high smoothing parameter
3) Fix bug in flight speed with altitude changes
4) Improve behaviour (hopefully!) on High Resolution screens

If you have not been affected by any of these bugs then you will not notice any difference.

Please let me know if I have introduced any new bugs!!

Thanks

N

Reactions: MarRoh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929