DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WaterFall TimeLapse - ND1000 - Let me Know thoughts

Suren

Reactions
My New filters arrived today, photos below, paid $109NZD from AliExpress. Came well packaged and fits perfectly on the drone. Shot the below Waterfall TimeLapse with the ND1000, let me know your thoughts. Unedited footage, just added music.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.21.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.21.47 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.22.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.22.22 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.22.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 4.22.52 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
The waterfall kept shifting color between white and blue, every once a while. Not sure if it's a metering problem, or some sort of color cast from ND filter?

screenshot.png

screenshot.png

Yeah, I noticed that as well and thought it was because of the clouds above. This was shot from 103 meters high and at 3X zoom lens
Probably just Auto White Balance jumping around, or did you set a manual WB, which remained constant during the changing white balance during the hyperlapse duration?

Yeah, I noticed that as well and thought it was because of the clouds above. This was shot from 103 meters high and at 3X zoom lens

If not the cloud's fault. If you look closer, at 0:20s, for a brief moment the video became blurry and lost focus. That's the moment the entire scene turned from "blue and green" to "black and white".

Reactions: Andy carley
If not the cloud's fault. If you look closer, at 0:20s, for a brief moment the video became blurry and lost focus. That's the moment the entire scene turned from "blue and green" to "black and white".
I will try playing around more in proper sunlight, hopefully its not the filters ;)

Hey fellow NZ’er! :) haha I’ve LITERALLY just brought those as well on AliExpress just now ! So was looking for reviews lol

I’ll get the Polarpro when they are available but will see how these cheapies do…

Hey fellow NZ’er! :) haha I’ve LITERALLY just brought those as well on AliExpress just now ! So was looking for reviews lol

I’ll get the Polarpro when they are available but will see how these cheapies do…
Hey Mate. I will really like to try them properly when the weather gets better, more sun. Crappy today with all those rain clouds going by

Reactions: nzmikey
White balance was auto because I had iso and shutter manually set.
Not sure how the white balance being in auto relates to fixed ISO and shutter. It's not part of the exposure triangle. However, auto WB can definitely cause color shifts, which which is why most professionals will set a fixed manual WB, which is easier to correct in groups of images.

Reactions: SethB and nzmikey
Not sure how the white balance being in auto relates to fixed ISO and shutter. It's not part of the exposure triangle. However, auto WB can definitely cause color shifts, which which is why most professionals will set a fixed manual WB, which is easier to correct in groups of images.
Thanks, I will give that a try on the next shoot test. What value do you recommend for WB?

I preordered PolarPro. Unfortunately they won't be available until the end of June...

Thanks, I will give that a try on the next shoot test. What value do you recommend for WB?
If you are shooting DNG, it really doesn't matter because you can easily change it in editing. If shooting JPG, it needs to be pretty accurate because WB is pretty baked in a JPG, so, as suggested above, set it to Auto, make sure it looks right to you, and then lock that color temperature to manual.

Reactions: Suren
I preordered PolarPro. Unfortunately they won't be available until the end of June...
That seems to be the case case with everything Mavic 3 Pro related, including the drone availability! DJI is also playing catch up! This one is an immediate hit!

Last edited:
Reactions: nzmikey
Th

That seems to be the case case with everything Mavic 3 Pro related, including the drone availability! DJI is also playing catch up! This one is an immediate hit!
It’s CV definitely what the M3 SHOULD have been! Even just having faster GPS acquisition is great 😂

The waterfall kept shifting color between white and blue, every once a while. Not sure if it's a metering problem, or some sort of color cast from ND filter?

View attachment 164808

View attachment 164809
Personally, I think a single frame still shot properly edited would have been better. I am figuring that for a 25 second video, at 24 frames a second, x 25 seconds, = 600 frames. I divided this by 60 and got 10 minutes, which is the time the one needed to be in the air at an interval of 3 seconds. What was your exposure setting? Here is a single edit using the masking tool and the falls as the subject. I could not bring out any details in the water.
Dale
Waterfal-edited with masking tool.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan