DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, I crashed. RTH issue? Update!

I am beside myself! Took a nice flight, coming back, batt warning, rth override, could not cancel, bird gains alt, overshoots home, into tree, I try sport mode at last moment, failed, shot back towards tree, bird hits limbs, tumbles down, broken rear arm and gimble...

I'm pretty devistated, I've got the care plan, now have to deal with all this stuff, and I'm not computer savvy....so bear with me.

I have no idea how to upload all that's needed.

Just a thought here, today I noticed that sometimes on RTH it overshoots by a few meters and then usually corrects itself back.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Just a thought here, today I noticed that sometimes on RTH it overshoots by a few meters and then usually corrects itself back.

That happened to my while I was practicing RTH at the edge of a soccer field. Unfortunately there was a tree a few feet behind me, and the Mavic overshot the home position and went above the tree. I quickly cancelled RTH and brought it down manually; don't know if it would have corrected itself or if it would have come down into the tree and I wasn't willing to risk finding out. :D

Reactions: jaysrmc
Sorry to hear buddy, just remember. In case of panic just press the pause key on the remote....

I think this is the best advise for anyone (including myself) who's panicking in certain situations.

Pausing will make MP hoover in place, while a pilot can cool his head a little bit, and decide what is the best thing to do next.

I'd say many crashes happen just because of pilot's panic. Once that's off the table, one can safely assess the situation and land the bird.

:)

Thanks guys. Yes, it overshot by about 16' right into a tree and I tried to override it in sport mode, failed miserably. Now I turn it in and get a different one with the latest firmware....yaajh.

What was your rth altitude set at? Always try to set mine much higher than any object on the return path.

Rth is 148' the tree is 70' oak. I was fighting it down it was coming down but kept going forward into the tree.

Upload your flight logs. Then perhaps we can see that there is an inherant problem with dJI, or pilot error...

I am beside myself! Took a nice flight, coming back, batt warning, rth override, could not cancel, bird gains alt, overshoots home, into tree, I try sport mode at last moment, failed, shot back towards tree, bird hits limbs, tumbles down, broken rear arm and gimble...

I'm pretty devistated, I've got the care plan, now have to deal with all this stuff, and I'm not computer savvy....so bear with me.

What plan do you have? I set my RTH to Hoover and when the battery warning came it took off into the auditorium ceiling and came crashing to the floor and the right rear arm broke. Well, to make a long story short...DJI said it was user error and charged me 510.00 bucks to repair it. They said they had to replace the boar, both rear arms and a few more things. So, I need some type of protection plan for it. They’ve shipped it back...it suppose to be back on the 30th. Thanks in advance.

I think this is the best advise for anyone (including myself) who's panicking in certain situations.

Pausing will make MP hoover in place, while a pilot can cool his head a little bit, and decide what is the best thing to do next.

I'd say many crashes happen just because of pilot's panic. Once that's off the table, one can safely assess the situation and land the bird.

:)

Man, no one could have said this better. I learned this early on with the Bebop2. I bought a used one for spare parts.. lol..

Reactions: kakao
I didn't need a receipt. When you activate the bird I believe it was offered in the go4 app. You can try to contact dji and see if they will let you get it. I thought you had to do it within 48 hours but I have heard differently.

There are bold pilots and there are old pilots. There are no old AND bold pilots. Advice 2 things: 1) don't press your luck with battery warnings. And 2) for NON commercial use, get State Farm Personal Property insurance. Covers ALL but deliberate damage/losses with zero deductible. About $60 per years. USA only.

I am almost sure, by how you "sound" and what you said, that when you wanted to go forward you assumed your drone was facing AWAY from you, but was, in fact, facing your direction, so that when you pushed the stick forward, it was really going "backward" and went into the tree. Sound plausible??? I know, I know. When we know there is little time, we react quickly. But let the technology work with you. Just try to understand it better. It works pretty well when you are in sync with it, not distracted. Practice mental reactions to the various situations and WATCH numerous videos of others making mistakes so you don't repeat them. For example, if you were under a tall bridge in the shade and RTH kicked in, the Mavic would go UP (no top sensors) and crash into the bridge. I only use sports mode when high and wanting speed to get somewhere. Sensors are off which is OK up high. Don't forget power lines either. And remember, EVEN WITH sensors on, at twilight they don't work well. Use your camera to see what is around you when maneuvering, requiring you to turn the drone around often to see what is around you. Like the old saying "Trust, but verify."

Same thing happened to me. Just follow online directions. I sent my broken drone with prepaid label on day #1 and received another drone two days later. It only cost me $79.

Had something similar happen to me last week. Flying acLitchi mission with about 90+ points. Last two points were at the same location with altitudes at 50m and ending at 8m. When it got to the last/end point in then abruptly traveled backward. Caught me completely off guard crashed into a tree and fell to the ground. Grimbal broken. Entirely my fault. Had DJI Care Refresh. Used Express service, paid $79....and mailed it on Monday. Got notice yesterday that a replacement is on its way and will be here Wednesday. Really lucky because refresh ended on 2/2/18. Good luck with yours.

Sorry to hear buddy, just remember. In case of panic just press the pause key on the remote.
If you are running out of battery, find a good alternate place to land. Many people just rush and go into panic because the bird is not going to land where they are, well you can find a good alternate place to land and keep it hovering as much as possible while you get there.
This is the way to go, stay calm first and do the right things.
Experience pilot analyse flight problem before things become more complicated.
Taking time to find a safe landing spot in case of low battery is for me a smart decision to save your investment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying