DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, I crashed. RTH issue? Update!

Thanks everybuddy, I tried posting a vitya, but failed miserably. My critical battery was set at 15%, RTH initiated at 19% at 160 feet out and about 60' high.

Live and learn, I guess.

Just got State farm personal article ploicy for my bird yesterday. Peace of mind I guess. But if all else fails I try to know my surroundings so I know of a few places to land during my flights. I will find them during flight if it is somewhere new. Good luck let us know what you find with refresh. I have it but have not used it. Hope never too.

I think this is the best advise for anyone (including myself) who's panicking in certain situations.

Pausing will make MP hoover in place, while a pilot can cool his head a little bit, and decide what is the best thing to do next.

I'd say many crashes happen just because of pilot's panic. Once that's off the table, one can safely assess the situation and land the bird.

:)
Darn good advise, Kakao, and well said!
We always make better decisions when not under stress or, in the case of flying a drone, panic.

I’m confused here. Everyone says sport mode cancels return to home.

Is that not true?

I hit sport at the last moment, but the bird was too deep into the limbs, there was a split second of forward input then full reverse and contact with the limbs.

I always cancel RTH unless I’m having controller issues. Sometimes height is more wind affected. Fly low and direct (but not direct into a tree)
Sorry to hear

I’m confused here. Everyone says sport mode cancels return to home.

Is that not true?
Yep. So basically, the AC is say a boat, a big one... its on auto pilot, heading for an island. If left to its own devices, the auto pilot should dock at the island with little input from the skipper. However the skipper thinks there is going to be a problem so knocks the boat out of auto pilot. Then, the scenario becomes like knocking you car out of gear, reversing down a boat ramp.....you better be quick.....

Well, here we go. I sent the bird out 7 days ago, just got an email from the robots saying they need more info; which app was I was running, my email address (how the heck did i get your message, robot?) date of incident, description of incident, basically everything I filled out in the application, and if that's not good enough, I have to try to upload the flight data and send it them... seriously?

I got a bad feeling about this whole process. Just charge me something, I don't care, I just want my bird back.

Update: Been getting a bunch of emails from dji today. They blamed me for the incident, said I took off under a tree, I was 20 ft from it, but whatever.

I paid the $79 and apparently they are sending me a new bird, build date November 2017, so I guess we'll see.

This whole ordeal has just made my stomach ache. I know I was jabbering like a monkey in a barrel of fermented bananas and want to thank everyone for going easy on me.

Lesson learned; when trouble arrises stay focused, remain calm, remember the pause button, and try to recognize a problem before it becomes a big problem.

Thanks everybuddy!

Reactions: kakao
I'm still holding my breath! It's supposed to be here Tuesday, less than 2 week turnaround....

joejaxvic123 said:
overshoots home, into tree

Update: Been getting a bunch of emails from dji today. They blamed me for the incident, said I took off under a tree, I was 20 ft from it, but whatever.

I had a similar experience with the MPP overshooting the home point into a tree on a RTH. Like you I was near a tree but not directly under it, but because the Mavic is coming home at full speed it takes a few feet for it to come to a stop. It's as if the RTH algorithm is "go at full throttle until the current location matches the home point, then release the throttle" - not accounting for the stopping distance. You'd think they would take the stopping distance into account and get off the throttle a few feet before the home point to eliminate the overshoot, like they do during waypoint missions, but whatever.

I now take this behavior into account when selecting a launch point. ;)

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I had a similar experience with the MPP overshooting the home point into a tree on a RTH. Like you I was near a tree but not directly under it, but because the Mavic is coming home at full speed it takes a few feet for it to come to a stop. It's as if the RTH algorithm is "go at full throttle until the current location matches the home point, then release the throttle" - not accounting for the stopping distance. You'd think they would take the stopping distance into account and get off the throttle a few feet before the home point to eliminate the overshoot, like they do during waypoint missions, but whatever.

I now take this behavior into account when selecting a launch point. ;)

If your Mavic was coming home in RTH mode then it is actually flying fairly slowly as needed for the forward sensors to react and break.

If it was fast as you think it was it was not in RTH mode and it never overshoots.

If your Mavic was coming home in RTH mode then it is actually flying fairly slowly as needed for the forward sensors to react and break.

If it was fast as you think it was it was not in RTH mode and it never overshoots.

I'm sorry bud but I have to disagree. My Mavic Pro always overshoots by about a meter or two and then corrects itself back to the RTH location.

Yep, she was hauling butt. Overshot, drifted, I'm in FPM (Full Panic Mode) gets caught up in the tree. Game Over!

Maybe I could just tell you what happened....
I'm sure you can (and already have). But in many previous cases the flight logs have been really valuable, especially when some of the geniuses here analyze them and give us all a readout as to precisely what happened...and yes, in some cases they tell a story differently than what the pilot remembers. It helps the community at large to share this information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc