DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Went from Air 2s to mini 4 pro - BIG MISTAKE!

staffydog33

Reactions
Oh my god, I can't get over how cheaply I sold my air 2s Just to get access to less strict flying rules etc.

Whereas even in very strong winds, my air 2s would hover in place like it was bolted to a scaffolding!

9/10 can not fly this little toy Mini 4 because the slightest of wind, and it's awful, on way back home, if facing even a moderate headwind, Mini 4 feels so fragile and takes forever and struggles.

My air 2s on the other hand, worst case scenario, I would have to put it in sport and the thing is like a flying tank"

So, returned Mini 4 Pro (pro at what?)

Now looking for a good deal on another Air 2s...so tough, strong, fast and reliable....gutted i sold mine, can't wait to get another!!
Wahoooo!!

Pound for pound, Air 2S one of the best ever made In my opinion.

No, I'm not a newbie:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 00-18-27 Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 00-18-27 Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones.png
    704 KB · Views: 74
Oh my god, I can't get over how cheaply I sold my air 2s Just to get access to less strict flying rules etc.

Whereas even in very strong winds, my air 2s would hover in place like it was bolted to a scaffolding!

9/10 can not fly this little toy Mini 4 because the slightest of wind, and it's awful, on way back home, if facing even a moderate headwind, Mini 4 feels so fragile and takes forever and struggles.

My air 2s on the other hand, worst case scenario, I would have to put it in sport and the thing is like a flying tank"

Now looking for a good deal on another Air 2s...so tough, strong, fast and reliable....gutted i sold mine, can't wait to get another!!
Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:
I have a couple of Air 2s’s one isn’t even activated yet. I sent one in for repair and they sent me a new replacement. I don’t use my air 2s’s very often, so it’s sat in the case inactivated. Not sure where you’re located, but I would consider a trade of some sort if you’re interested.

I cannot agree more on that Yes the Mini 4 hates wind but it is a mini.- Hope you find another Air2s for a good price. Mine has flown More hours than a Drone should last, and on the Cheapest DJI style Batteries available for a drone of its size!

Reactions: Dbez1

Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:
How high are the wind speeds that are giving you fits?....I just got the 4 after having a 2...I never fly when over 20MPH winds, so I never noticed a problem with the 2.....is that a problem for the 4?

How high are the wind speeds that are giving you fits?....I just got the 4 after having a 2...I never fly when over 20MPH winds, so I never noticed a problem with the 2.....is that a problem for the 4?
In general it's a bit unfair to compare a Mini (whatever model iteration...) with a much faster drone like the Air 2s.

Fighting winds is all about the max speed the drone can achieve... an Air 2s reach 19m/s in Sport whereas a Mini 4P & a Mini 2 have 16m/s.

So if flying into a head wind of 20mph (9m/s), means that the Air 2s gets 10m/s ground speed remaining, but the Minis only 7m/s... the difference can be noticeable if it's for instance gusting up around 15-16m/s where the Mini's will not have any ground speed left at all... but the Air still covering ground with at least 3-4m/s.

All becomes of course worse if only Normal speeds is available (like during a failsafe RTH where you can't flip over to Sport).

The Mini 2 can possibly have an edge over the Mini 4P (but I really think the Mini 4P also uses this functionality but it's not written out in the specs there)...

According to the specs the Mini 2 uses a tilt angle of 25 degrees in Normal to achieve the specified speed of 10m/s... but if that isn't achieved (due to a headwind for instance), the Mini 2 gradually starts to utilize a steeper tilt angle all the way down to the angle for Sport (40 degrees) in order to maintain those 10m/s. This function will of course disguise the fact that the Mini 2 have started to struggle in the head wind... this as it still achieves the Normal mode 10m/s & you don't feel the need to flip over to Sport. But as said, I really think that the Mini 4P also have this functionality.

So, the Mini 4P & the Mini 2 should be very much on par when it comes to flying in head winds... speed wise, with only a slight edge to the Mini 4P in Normal mode (2m/s faster).

Reactions: f13dfx
Of course the Mini 4 is going to have more trouble in wind, it's 249 grams. I have a Mini 4 Pro and a Mavic 2 Pro. The M4P has many features that I wished were part of the M2P. But in Florida, winds can be strong and they can come out of nowhere, that's when I fly my M2P, because it is heavier and stronger. Even my small FPV drones gets beat up in the Florida wind.

Of course the Mini 4 is going to have more trouble in wind, it's 249 grams... that's when I fly my M2P, because it is heavier and stronger.
Drone weight have nothing at all to do with how well a drone can achieve ground speed in a head wind... the only thing that matters is the max drone speed.

A light drone will of course be much less stabile in gusty winds due to it's lower inertia, making the gimbal work harder to keep the camera leveled... but that only becomes a problem if the gimbal reaches it's end stops.

My sub 250g long range FPV quad tops out on 120km/h (33m/s or 75mph)... so it's only stopped in the air if facing a head wind up on those similar levels.

Last edited:

Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:
Air 3, you will be happy.

Reactions: twickers14
Such a helpful post and thanks all for great summaries. I am pondering the MA3 v M4Pro as I approach a grand age and desire for some newer kit from my MA2. I wear driving glasses to fly at the mo and as they are varifocals (is that how to spell them?), I can swap view instantly to the RC/iPhone I use to check flight details in flight. Worried I shall struggle to see the M4Pro at distance (I know strobes might help a bit) but am erring towards the MA3 for stability in our British weather and it has most of the goodies found in the M4Pro. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other although here there’s roughly a £300 price difference. The head scratching continues!

Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:
Have a look at the Air 3! I just went from an Air 2 to the 3, and it’s sensational in every way!

A light drone will of course be much less stabile in gusty winds due to it's lower inertia, making the gimbal work harder to keep the camera leveled... but that only becomes a problem if the gimbal reaches it's end stops.

...or the small linear translations that are greater may cause movement in the image that would be far less noticeable with a heavier drone. Can be an issue for neat subject images.

Direct experience.

I have both the MA2 and the mini 3 pro, very happy with the way both handles the wind, but then I only fly these birds in 20 mph or less. Funny when I flew gliders the more wind the better, I loved it, drones not so much. I find it's the landing safely in strong wind that's the kicker finding some source of windbreak for landing so as not the flip it over. I have never had a single incident on landing but came very close once with a wind gust picking up my landing pad just as I was landing, barely missing the drone.

I would definitely upgrade to the Air 3 rather than another Air2S, the Air 3 is a far superior aircraft. I have 2 mini's, a mini 3 (not the pro) and a 4 pro and to be honest, both handle wind quite well, in fact I haven't been in a windy enough situation where I could only fly my Mavic 3 Classic safely. Obviously the bigger Mavic 3 is much more stable but generally, if it's too windy to fly a mini, I don't fly at all.

I’ve owned the DJI Mini 2 & Mini 3 Pro, along with Autel Nano amongst 249g drones. Also owned a Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 3 & Mavic 3 Pro as well as the Skydio 2+.

I was able to fly the Autel Nano, which was considered to be the WORST FLYER in windy conditions amongst all the drones I’ve owned in wind gusts up to 33mph; see UAV Forecast screenshot I took during the flight. Even in those conditions, the Nano took rock-steady video & stills! I don’t really know what you expect from a 249g drone, but maybe do your research and “Use the Right Tool for the Job” before bashing what I think to be some quite incredible technology!
IMG_3199.png

Last edited:

Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:

Well, the answer is it depends. I was flying mini 4 pro during a strong wind with no problem.
But if you are flying always during strong winds gusts, I would suggest Air 3

Wahoooo!!

No, I'm not a newbie:
I can see your point of view after flying my M3P in strong winds a little while ago. I wouldn't have gave it a second thought with my MA2. It got kicked around quite a bit.

they're not garbage the air is my favorite drone to fly bar none the controls are so easy and smooth compared to anything else and if he doesn't like the mini 4 pro and loved his 2s the regular 2 flys for about 8 more minutes he would use it as like his "shittin around drone" and take it where he might not take the other one or be more risky with it. that sd why I want a 4 pro so I can use my mini3 pro as a take risks drone at work for mapping. if I had a drone in the same price bracket that I didn't like I'd do it. ifd just a question since my post about selling or tradeong them keep getting taken down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1