DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules - can we fly during Covid-19/Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffcutler

Reactions
As the pandemic continues, there are communities and entire states putting people in voluntary social isolation. There are curfews and there are businesses and vocations deemed essential - so they can be out of the home or isolation location more than others.

SO, what is the rationale FOR or AGAINST a UAV pilot taking their drone out on missions during this time? Some quick thoughts, for most projects we perform we are isolated from others; we can assist in life-saving operations; the drone is ideal for performing as a journalist without getting close to people. OK, tell me if it's OK and why or why not. Thanks (be safe!) J

In the main, it depends on your location, and GOVCO bans I guess.
Secondary is common sense and sense of community depending on your countrys state of severity in the covid spread.

Our entire (3 states) on the Australian eastern seaboard are out for drone rec.
They can't leave the home for anything but work, exercise, food shop etc, essential travel.
People are getting fined for taking learner drivers out, sitting in a park alone or with a friend (at distance), even driving out for 10 - 15 mins to get to a park or bike track for exercise !

In other states, there are travel restrictions within borders, and here in my state we can technically go out for many other things, inc drone flight, but many choose to lay low and help get this under control a bit.

Going out does pose a small risk to spreading this, but some places are going too far over the top with penalising people, they will turn people off authority if they fine people unfairly or way outside the spirit of what's needed to combat this.

Many think the cure is worse than the disease, but as this is a very unprecedented situation (a virus like this spreading Worldwide so fast), we should err on the side of caution a little.

As the pandemic continues, there are communities and entire states putting people in voluntary social isolation. There are curfews and there are businesses and vocations deemed essential - so they can be out of the home or isolation location more than others.

SO, what is the rationale FOR or AGAINST a UAV pilot taking their drone out on missions during this time? Some quick thoughts, for most projects we perform we are isolated from others; we can assist in life-saving operations; the drone is ideal for performing as a journalist without getting close to people. OK, tell me if it's OK and why or why not. Thanks (be safe!) J
i can only speak for the UK ,here drone flying is not classed as essential, and therefore we are not allowed to travel even to an isolated spot to fly our drones,for those with a nice large garden then they can fly as long as they stay in the boundaries and observe the drone code rules
of course if you live in a rural area next to fields then you could just take off from your garden and then fly over farm land it is hard to be told that you have to stay in your home
but the alternative (possible death) is much more of an issue

I noticed a guy on an empty beach today (UK) about to fly his drone - nobody within 100 yards of him - police walked over and told him to pack up and return home ....

But yes depends on which country you are ina nd the rules ..

I must admit I've thought about this, but as we are in a essential journeys only situation, I would consider it wrong to go out droning. I live in the UK, and although I am out and about on emergency electrical callouts, I have (on more than one occasion) seen the police stopping people randomly and asking why they are out. So for me, I'm leaving my drone at home until this is over.

Although I normally use the drone while out on my daily exercise either cycling or walking, the drone will be staying at home for now even though I doubt anyone would ever come across my flying it. I don't want to be seen as taking the mick at a time when the restrictions are understandable.

I’m in Colorado. Still, I fly from my backyard. I don’t buy into the Globalist media hysteria being forced on people. Be safe. Stay respectful. But remain a free individual. Many may disagree. Ask me if I give a (mod Removed Langage) Happy flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Colorado media and construction support are considered essential businesses. So I'm still flying. Spent Tuesday flying different projects from sunrise to sunset. Long day. But worth it. Shot this waiting for the sun to set on our final project Tuesday.CoorsFeild.jpg

I’m in Colorado. Still, I fly from my backyard. I don’t buy into the Globalist media hysteria being forced on people. Be safe. Stay respectful. But remain a free individual. Many may disagree. Ask me if I give a ( Mod Removed Langage) Happy flying.

We're far past the 'hysteria' stage now given the genuine threat of the virus and even with a restrictive lockdown the number of deaths here is still climbing with over 900 yesterday. Personally my risk from the virus is low but I most certainly do care about it and the potential effect it will have on others much more so than my personal freedom.

To the OP - you refer to them as mission, which I fully appreciate and understand. But your missions sound entirely recreational.

I flew last on March 18, as things were getting locked down, and as we started to know more about how truly isolated we were going to be. Irrespective of the isolation when flying a drone, I think your arguments are specious. While drones can be used for life-saving missions, I would be hard pressed to imaging you would be asking this question if *your* missions were life-saving ones. You would be deemed an essential service, and probably be working for the FD, PD, or some other government agency. Likewise your journalism point - I don't believe what your missions would be deemed journalism, as that too is an essential service - so you would need bona fide press credentials.

Even though I'm Canadian, I have a bit of a libertarian bent, and living so close to the US also know that "don't tread on me" is a sentiment that runs deeply. They've shut down beaches and parks here for recreation purposes, frustrating many as the weather turns nice. That would include most of the places I'd want to fly. It's unfortunate, but it's not forever (we hope). Everyone's going stir crazy and getting shack whacky. But it's best for everyone if we all stay home - not as much as possible. Just stay home.

I’m in Colorado. Still, I fly from my backyard. I don’t buy into the Globalist media hysteria being forced on people. Be safe. Stay respectful. But remain a free individual. Many may disagree. Ask me if I give a ( Mod Removed Langage) Happy flying.

So long as we breathe from the same pool of air and walk on the same ground we are circumstantially bound to each other regardless of your notions of hysteria (common sense, cautionary commentary during a pandemic) or freedom. Now let’s do some flying....

Reactions: LazerMan
Here we are not under a daytime lockdown. We have a night curfew and travel between cities restricted.

I am lucky in that I can fly from my rooftop and have great views of the peninsula I am on.

Took this yesterday. :)
PSX_20200409_153835.jpg

Here in Colorado media and construction support are considered essential businesses. So I'm still flying. Spent Tuesday flying different projects from sunrise to sunset. Long day. But worth it. Shot this waiting for the sun to set on our final project Tuesday.View attachment 98273
One word on this photo ... WOW!

Australia seems to be getting on top of the virus growth, and still only 51 deaths attributed to it (and most of these have other underlying causes too).
Authorities here are saying some restrictions in place for at least 12 months, so it's going to be a lingering recovery everywhere.

Report of a male person, alone at a car wash at 2am, fined AUD$1652 when he went there to wash his car last night.
This was one of the 3 main lockdown eastern Australia states.

Some places / countries are going to be suffering a lot more hurt, and hope you can all get through the worst of it as fast as possible.

As a recreational flyer, and still a noob to my MPP, I would fly from my yard.
Not gonna travel to do it. In fact, looking forward to some close to home flying!

Reactions: bobzdar
Here in Colorado media and construction support are considered essential businesses. So I'm still flying. Spent Tuesday flying different projects from sunrise to sunset. Long day. But worth it. Shot this waiting for the sun to set on our final project Tuesday.View attachment 98273
AWESOME photo!!! What did you use for this shot???

1586620888650.png

I’m in Colorado. Still, I fly from my backyard. I don’t buy into the Globalist media hysteria being forced on people. Be safe. Stay respectful. But remain a free individual. Many may disagree. Ask me if I give a (mod Removed Langage) Happy flying.
Slade I'm with you man. Use common sense , I fly daily mostly at home I have almost 5 acres , but I let the drone out further sometime just to see whats going on. H ave neighbors that have a motocross track on their property, so I fly over to the edge and film them racing around. Also have a wash that gets a lot of action, either people being stupid and trying to cross when its flooded or workers trying to fix it back up. Both have happened in last month ,so I fly over to check it out.I don't fly directly over people and I stay up at least 200 ft.
Be safe.Be free.

Reactions: strdr and Drgnfli
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78