DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules - can we fly during Covid-19/Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article. Unfortunately the ACLU seems to have put the end to the idea because the people might be recognized.... so now a uniformed officer must risk infection, or worse, to break up these congregations personally.... and look at the ID’s in person.

The police used aerial infrared from helicopter to help apprehend the Boston Bomber. Textbook case of using technology to help apprehend a dangerous criminal suspect as quickly and safely as possible under "exigent" circumstances. But, its very different scenario from using UAV to obtain biometric data on the general population. Or is it?

Last edited:
I went to a nearby hilly location where there is a car park perched high up on the hills. As i entered there were 4 police officer sharing a chat, no social distance measures on display. We got out of the car, and as a courtesy asked if it was ok to fly our drone. Yes came the reply, and that was that.
I think going out and using common sense is the way to go. Had the car park been very busy we would have just driven out.

Although I normally use the drone while out on my daily exercise either cycling or walking, the drone will be staying at home for now even though I doubt anyone would ever come across my flying it. I don't want to be seen as taking the mick at a time when the restrictions are understandable.
What's the definition of taking a mick? Taking advantage? Breaking the law? Being bad socially?
Thanks, J

Hmm, I was looking at trying for LAANC authorization through Airmap.

Probably not a good idea now.?
As the pandemic continues, there are communities and entire states putting people in voluntary social isolation. There are curfews and there are businesses and vocations deemed essential - so they can be out of the home or isolation location more than others.

SO, what is the rationale FOR or AGAINST a UAV pilot taking their drone out on missions during this time? Some quick thoughts, for most projects we perform we are isolated from others; we can assist in life-saving operations; the drone is ideal for performing as a journalist without getting close to people. OK, tell me if it's OK and why or why not. Thanks (be safe!) J

Original Poster here - Every mission I've flown this year has been LAANC or outside of any airport airspace. All flights (save one) was for clients. Here in MA, real estate sales are considered essential, and the projects are all property overviews and listing images. *During each MISSION, I request NO personal contact. No owner, no REALTOR, no people. I also do INTERIOR listing images, but I refuse to do those right now because the inside of a house could be a total infection zone. Additionally, I am media and none of my flights has been specifically for a publication or an outlet, I have a standing contract from a news outlet to capture aerial images of two towns. This is a quarterly/seasonal contract, so soon I'll have to go out to capture SPRING around those towns. THEN a few weeks later I'll have to capture SUMMER (though I could delay that until end of July. Otherwise, I am staying in 94% of the time and away from people 99% of the time.

When provided this info, any changes in opinions? If I don't accept some of these missions, there are at least two drone owners WITHOUT 107 who are happy to fly them. The complete lack of FAA intervention and enforcement of non-107 flights is ridiculous and it's putting me in a hard place. I could report and show dozens of flights (this guy does video of all his 'training missions'. He calls them that to get around the 'business purpose' of a flight. He says he's just trying a new ND filter or new software or new props and then goes flying 400 or more feet in restricted air space. I explained this to the FAA rep more than a year ago and he said he needed ME to get all this guy's info, have proof of a flight that went outside the rules, then he'd look into it. Just looking at some of his videos you can tell he's higher than 400; out at night; above people; above cars; and other stuff. The WORST part is his stuff is freakin' amazing.

Thanks for everything. One more mission in the next couple days, then nothing on the horizon for a bit.

J

Original Poster here - Every mission I've flown this year has been LAANC or outside of any airport airspace. All flights (save one) was for clients. Here in MA, real estate sales are considered essential, and the projects are all property overviews and listing images. *During each MISSION, I request NO personal contact. No owner, no REALTOR, no people. I also do INTERIOR listing images, but I refuse to do those right now because the inside of a house could be a total infection zone. Additionally, I am media and none of my flights has been specifically for a publication or an outlet, I have a standing contract from a news outlet to capture aerial images of two towns. This is a quarterly/seasonal contract, so soon I'll have to go out to capture SPRING around those towns. THEN a few weeks later I'll have to capture SUMMER (though I could delay that until end of July. Otherwise, I am staying in 94% of the time and away from people 99% of the time.

When provided this info, any changes in opinions? If I don't accept some of these missions, there are at least two drone owners WITHOUT 107 who are happy to fly them. The complete lack of FAA intervention and enforcement of non-107 flights is ridiculous and it's putting me in a hard place. I could report and show dozens of flights (this guy does video of all his 'training missions'. He calls them that to get around the 'business purpose' of a flight. He says he's just trying a new ND filter or new software or new props and then goes flying 400 or more feet in restricted air space. I explained this to the FAA rep more than a year ago and he said he needed ME to get all this guy's info, have proof of a flight that went outside the rules, then he'd look into it. Just looking at some of his videos you can tell he's higher than 400; out at night; above people; above cars; and other stuff. The WORST part is his stuff is freakin' amazing.

Thanks for everything. One more mission in the next couple days, then nothing on the horizon for a bit.

J
Clearly what you are doing is legally permitted. Furthermore you are using comman sense and avoiding the possibility of spreading covid-19 with your actions. Legally I believe you could do interior photo shoots but I definitely understand your concern.

Just deleted 3 post that where just quotes with no content.
Fill safe to say as old as this thread is it’s over. 🤷‍♂️

CLOSD​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member