DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules - can we fly during Covid-19/Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few of us in the USA that still fly beyond VLOS just like a few of us that drive above the speed limits on occassions.

Reactions: strdr
You're fine as long as you are (1) in the USA and (2) you call it a "mission".

No, it is very state specific. There is no Nationwide order.

AWESOME photo!!! What did you use for this shot???

Just for the heck of it. Sometimes it's nice to just fly to get the creative juices flowing.

FWIW and i feel a bit uncomfortable that I did this but just as we locked down over here we , wife and I , went for a walk along the promenade and i took the drone - place was pretty deserted - for me its like 50 yards from my front door and flew for about 5-8 minutes max then put the drone away. I only flew it as we sat and had a coffee (in flasks) and it was such a lovely day.

In hindsight it was wrong (tho i loved my video) but now I am flying it off my balcony and RTH is useless since it couldnt ever actually RTH - it would land in the balcony above mine) but I only fly at sunrise now ...

<SNIP>
People are getting fined for taking learner drivers out, sitting in a park alone or with a friend (at distance), even driving out for 10 - 15 mins to get to a park or bike track for exercise !
<SNIP>

That's a sad state of affairs. You would hope that if supplied with facts, an individual could determine what is safe and what is not. Having said that, on one of the first "Shelter in Place" days we had I watched a bunch of adults with their kids playing an organized game of Softball. You can't fix stupid and apparently, you can't quarantine it either!

That's a sad state of affairs. You would hope that if supplied with facts, an individual could determine what is safe and what is not. Having said that, on one of the first "Shelter in Place" days we had I watched a bunch of adults with their kids playing an organized game of Softball. You can't fix stupid and apparently, you can't quarantine it either!

It is sad ! Believe me, most common sense Aussies are looking at these stories and shaking their heads.

The Sydney beaches have until very recently been over run with visitors, backpackers, and stupid Aussies (won't happen to me brigade) out packing the famous Bondi and surrounding beaches.
They haven't been getting fines, so the paltry ones reported are really getting peoples backs up here.

Beaches are all fenced and closed now, seems to have stopped that madness.
Those beach and Sydney eastern suburbs have been the countrys major Covid outbreak hotspots so far.

Report on news this morning, Police have issued $1 million in fines over Easter so far.
Maybe the message will get through to the masses of the (what've become known as) Covidiots.

Here in Colorado media and construction support are considered essential businesses. So I'm still flying. Spent Tuesday flying different projects from sunrise to sunset. Long day. But worth it. Shot this waiting for the sun to set on our final project Tuesday.View attachment 98273

Which drone did you use to take this?

To the OP - you refer to them as mission, which I fully appreciate and understand. But your missions sound entirely recreational.

I flew last on March 18, as things were getting locked down, and as we started to know more about how truly isolated we were going to be. Irrespective of the isolation when flying a drone, I think your arguments are specious. While drones can be used for life-saving missions, I would be hard pressed to imaging you would be asking this question if *your* missions were life-saving ones. You would be deemed an essential service, and probably be working for the FD, PD, or some other government agency. Likewise your journalism point - I don't believe what your missions would be deemed journalism, as that too is an essential service - so you would need bona fide press credentials.

Even though I'm Canadian, I have a bit of a libertarian bent, and living so close to the US also know that "don't tread on me" is a sentiment that runs deeply. They've shut down beaches and parks here for recreation purposes, frustrating many as the weather turns nice. That would include most of the places I'd want to fly. It's unfortunate, but it's not forever (we hope). Everyone's going stir crazy and getting shack whacky. But it's best for everyone if we all stay home - not as much as possible. Just stay home.
You are out flying your Mavic in an Arizona public park that has stopped collecting entrance fees during this pandemic so people have something to do. You are by yourself with no one nearer than 100 yds. What is wrong with that? The wife & I drive about 5 miles to a national park, take a dirt road for about 5 miles & fly our MP. During that time ( 4 or 5 batteries) we might see one other vehicle drive by about 200 yards distant. Sounds like extreme "social distancing" to me... IMHO... ;) :rolleyes:
~

Reactions: bassnbeau
Reactions: JoeBoy
I can't go trout fishing when it opens this month in CA. Pretty much following social distancing because anybody standing within 6 feet of me might lose an eye. I'm usually by myself and walking a stream IMO is exercise. Same with photography; I drive to different spots and walk around looking for scenic shots. The Lyrid meteor shower is tonight and early tomorrow morning, but I guess I can't ieave the city lights & go out for that as well. I understand controlling the gathering of large groups but the most common dangerous place to be is at the grocery store, not outside away from people and enjoying nature. One problem in CA was so many started using the parks and the normally somewhat vacant parking lots became packed daily. Because everybody was flocking to the city, county, and state parks, the authorities shut many of them down. So it doesn't matter if it is one person or 50, if the park is closed, anybody using it will be asked to leave. For those agencies that kept their parks open, I can see no reason to kick out a person flying a drone as long as they keep a distance from others. If I lived in a high rise, I'll bet I'd be safer outside than inside. I sure would rather be camping at a remote spot than be living in a large city and probably feel that way year round but I can't even go camping.

The issue isnt so much social distancing in those scenarios it’s the fact that folk take the car out , have an accident , involve emergency services and thus put others in danger. I fail to understand why that part of it isn’t understood.

The issue isnt so much social distancing in those scenarios it’s the fact that folk take the car out , have an accident , involve emergency services and thus put others in danger. I fail to understand why that part of it isn’t understood.
Fact: One is far more likely to have an accident in one’s home then while driving and thus “involve emergency services and thus put others in danger”. Stay in bed and save lives!

Whilst it may well be that you are more likely to have an accident at home than in a car ...at least it’s unlikely to harm others unlike a car accident ... so yes stay in bed ..though doing a VLOS drone flight from your bed may be a challenge lol

If lockdowns like those in many places go on too long, authorities will have to consider the effect of having a ban on recreational activities on some people's mental health.

Many find it hard to cope with no work (laid off or closed for biz), and the unknown future CV situation overall.
Coupled with only going out for food maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and daily (supposedly once) outing for a walk / run, or walk the dog, and no stopping for a break !

Yes, there are risks of having a mishap travelling in the car or while out, and this could put a strain on services that may be needed.
Risk level ?
A balance may be needed if this drags on.

Most countries are now talking about lifting the strictest restrictions in place, let's hope not too early in some countries / regions, but hopefully it won't be long until people can carefully try and get their lives back to some sort of sense of normal.

Fact: One is far more likely to have an accident in one’s home then while driving and thus “involve emergency services and thus put others in danger”. Stay in bed and save lives!
I've had some serious accidents in bed. Cost me thousands over the years

Reactions: MaviCam
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member