DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you Guys make of this

Suren

Reactions
Lets start a conversation about this article linked below. Alot of contervasy around what has been said in this article which was taken from the Dji Forum. What is true and what is not. Lets hear everyones views but lets keep it clean.

My honest view is, I don't know much about GPS modules/receivers to comment but what I do suspect is that Dji is covering up some failure that they cannot seem to get right. Maybe most are sitting with lemons that will de-value to an extant that we will not be able to sell it when we want the next big thing and most of us, me for one, sell my old drone to make way for the new drone.

If you read what the science team says (Madangler etc) it appears the GPS chip used is more than capable of doing the job but they are saying something else on the drone could be causing interference or slowing down the process. Something that has been overlooked. That suggests it's hardware configuration but that begs the question if that is the case why did earlier firmware versions appear to work fine but don't now for some? It's a head scratcher and I'm guessing DJI have been scratching their heads since December to try and figure it out.

What is fact though is if the drone doesn't do what it was advertised to do and for the price you paid you should be able to return it to your retailer to put right or refund.

So how do we explain the early firmware that we had that had no issues for many including myself ,, somehow something has gotten lost in the translation , and I am sure it is more complicated than that but maybe not.

The funny thing I cannot remember what my start up time was with the original as I was up and flying so I never even thought about it .

So If I am reading this right there could 3 GPS chips in the Mavic 3 and Each Firmware catered to a specific chip , I suppose that would make sense. So what chip does the Oval have and what Chips does the Circle lens have and who got the super sonic chip. lol

Chip Shortage got me again. ugh

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain.

Last edited:
There is lots of bad information in that article. I have been following the threads over at the DJI Mavic 3 forum and have to say this is not good reporting from DroneXL. None of the sources have been vetted in any way. It can't be bad for raising the profile of the issue and forcing DJI's hand but real journalism involves more than reposting rumors.

The original poster supposedly got his information from someone who works with DJI as a contractor to correct thie GPS problem. There is some factual information like the use of the more expensive automotive variant of the Ublox M8 gps chip. But this is public knowledge that was revealed here on the Mavic Pilots forum. He goes on to talk about how clever people on some forum tore the chip apart and found differences in the memory. The post he refers to is again here on this forum and doesn't tear down the Ublox chip. The differences noted were in the surrounding chipset and the teardown wasn't on a Mavic 3 GPS board. That thread is here:

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

The best thing to come out of the last couple of days is that the Mad Tech guy has now ordered the real Mavic 3 GPS board and is promising to put it through its paces on the bench to try and find out what is really going on. Mad Tech has worked with DJI in the past and has some limited contacts in the company. His promised testing will ultimately reach the right people if it reveals something.

There is lots of bad information in that article. I have been following the threads over at the DJI Mavic 3 forum and have to say this is not good reporting from DroneXL. None of the sources have been vetted in any way. It can't be bad for raising the profile of the issue and forcing DJI's hand but real journalism involves more than reposting rumors.

The original poster supposedly got his information from someone who works with DJI as a contractor to correct thie GPS problem. There is some factual information like the use of the more expensive automotive variant of the Ublox M8 gps chip. But this is public knowledge that was revealed here on the Mavic Pilots forum. He goes on to talk about how clever people on some forum tore the chip apart and found differences in the memory. The post he refers to is again here on this forum and doesn't tear down the Ublox chip. The differences noted were in the surrounding chipset and the teardown wasn't on a Mavic 3 GPS board. That thread is here:

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

The best thing to come out of the last couple of days is that the Mad Tech guy has now ordered the real Mavic 3 GPS board and is promising to put it through its paces on the bench to try and find out what is really going on. Mad Tech has worked with DJI in the past and has some limited contacts in the company. His promised testing will ultimately reach the right people if it reveals something.
I think there is an article on this forum from Mad Tech and he says he's not expecting to find anything wrong with the chip when he receives but thinks it's more the relationship with other components in the drone that could be causing the issue...

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
What is fact though is if the drone doesn't do what it was advertised to do and for the price you paid you should be able to return it to your retailer to put right or refund.
Agreed, and definitely the case in Australia. Our consumer laws protect us pretty well. There are a few features and functions that still aren't available on the M3 which are listed in their features and specs, which is enough already to warrant a return.
But I'm sure like most of us, we don't want that, we just want what was promised and made us open our wallets. And I'm optimistic that will happen, and believe DJI want that also...rather than a global class action lawsuit 😳

Agreed, and definitely the case in Australia. Our consumer laws protect us pretty well. There are a few features and functions that still aren't available on the M3 which are listed in their features and specs, which is enough already to warrant a return.
But I'm sure like most of us, we don't want that, we just want what was promised and made us open our wallets. And I'm optimistic that will happen, and believe DJI want that also...rather than a global class action lawsuit 😳
So true and also frustrating if you don't own the M3 currently and want it's optics capabilities as there is nothing else to match especially if you look at what that 7x is capable of. Just feels like a really bad time to even contemplate buying until they sort out these known issues. So back to extracting all I can out of the Mini :rolleyes:

So how do we explain the early firmware that we had that had no issues for many including myself ,, somehow something has gotten lost in the translation , and I am sure it is more complicated than that but maybe not.

The funny thing I cannot remember what my start up time was with the original as I was up and flying so I never even thought about it .

So If I am reading this right there could 3 GPS chips in the Mavic 3 and Each Firmware catered to a specific chip , I suppose that would make sense. So what chip does the Oval have and what Chips does the Circle lens have and who got the super sonic chip. lol

Phantomrain.org
There is a simple but perhaps tedious method of checking your acquisition-time 'history', upload logs to either upload or Airdata then down load the csv's.
in the PH csv and using a mini 2's flight log ( the closest I can get to an M3 log) the satellite count is in column Z and in Airdata column M.
Airdata is probably the most suitable for such a 'project'.

Phantomrain.org
If the early firmware had no issues but later versions do, it has to be a firmware issue since the hardware has not changed. I am sure this will be resolved eventually with a future upgrade.

It's the EEvillle Dji collecting secret information and feeding it back to their industrial military complex planning world domination! Your phone or tablet is taking pictures of you and your surroundings for psychological evaluation. And when they take off on you it is the Chinese getting aerial footage they want. 007 is at the DJI headquarters right now doing undercover work. Soon we will all know the truth!!!!!!

So true and also frustrating if you don't own the M3 currently and want it's optics capabilities as there is nothing else to match especially if you look at what that 7x is capable of. Just feels like a really bad time to even contemplate buying until they sort out these known issues. So back to extracting all I can out of the Mini :rolleyes:
Or this might be a great time to purchase a steeply discounted, lightly used M3 from one of the many disappointed M3 owners.

Or this might be a great time to purchase a steeply discounted, lightly used M3 from one of the many disappointed M3 owners.
It seems to me that the technical issues DJI is having is made far worse by the lack of candid communications with its fiercely loyal customer base. It really is no wonder that the lack of transparency is fomenting all of this speculation and ill will.

I’m sure this manufacturing giant is capable of issuing an official statement detailing the problem and it’s plan for resolution without compromising industry secrets. We deserve nothing less. Many reputable companies send products to market which fail to live up to all expectations. Today, however, we usually don’t let them get away with it without an explanation - nor should we.

Customers don’t expect perfection, just reasonableness.

It may amplify bull**** But it does a lot to express that a lot of people are fed up with DJI’s bull**** when it comes to this issue. The issue didn’t come out of nowhere.

There is a big difference between recognizing an issue and declaring you discovered the cause. No one is questioning that there is an issue.

It's the EEvillle Dji collecting secret information and feeding it back to their industrial military complex planning world domination! Your phone or tablet is taking pictures of you and your surroundings for psychological evaluation. And when they take off on you it is the Chinese getting aerial footage they want. 007 is at the DJI headquarters right now doing undercover work. Soon we will all know the truth!!!!!!
You do realize that some frighteningly large fraction of the people who read this will believe every word?

You do realize that some frighteningly large fraction of the people who read this will believe every word?
Yes my friend, it is a bizarre world is it not.

Reactions: MS Coast
If you read what the science team says (Madangler etc) it appears the GPS chip used is more than capable of doing the job but they are saying something else on the drone could be causing interference or slowing down the process. Something that has been overlooked. That suggests it's hardware configuration but that begs the question if that is the case why did earlier firmware versions appear to work fine but don't now for some? It's a head scratcher and I'm guessing DJI have been scratching their heads since December to try and figure it out.

the Motherboard location the Mavic 3 may be a factor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4