DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to charge for aerial photography services

A330FO

Reactions
Quick question: What would a fair charge be to perform aerial photography for a video? A brief history; I got my Part 107 Commercial license in September of 2016 as soon as it was mandated by the FAA. I am a commercial airline pilot in my 28th year (currently flying the Airbus 330). I spent 3 years in the Air Force as a T-38 Instructor Pilot, then 3 years as a B-52 Aircraft Commander. I started an aerial photography business in 2017 and may have an opportunity to shoot music videos. I've noticed that "pricing" is all over the map and was wondering what the group thought was a fair price structure for work. Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What would a fair charge be to perform aerial photography for a video?
What are competitors charging in your area? That'll give you an idea of the range you can charge for similar services.

Haven't seen anything related to video services of this nature. I did see what Home Inspecting companies are charging for roof inspections. I'm just not sure if I should charge by the hour or for the finished service?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I'm just not sure if I should charge by the hour or for the finished service?
In my area, photographers (aerial or otherwise) charge for the finished product. I've never seen anyone mention an hourly charge.

Plus, some people work faster than others. If you're very good at what you do and can complete the work quickly, you'll make less money by charging hourly. If you're super slow and take longer than everyone else, you'll overcharge your customers and likely drive away business over time.

Well, I would be photographing the performers at various angles, height, etc, but who knows what would actually show up in the finished product after it has edited. That's why I'm thinking it makes the most sense to charge by the hour. I just don't know what that amount would be??

If you're sure you have no competitors, then you can charge whatever you want.

Haven't seen anything related to video services of this nature. I did see what Home Inspecting companies are charging for roof inspections. I'm just not sure if I should charge by the hour or for the finished service?
I would consider by the hour and include travel expenses with a minimum. It's a business.

Reactions: mereflyer
Yes, I'm thinking hourly is the way to go, just need to determine what that rate would be.

Yes, I'm thinking hourly is the way to go, just need to determine what that rate would be.
Call around. If none locally, call other areas, then ask what is the price of milk in their area, and do the math.
For example, let's say you live in Kentucky, and the cost of milk is $2.00 per gallon. Call NY, CA, FL, and TX drone companies. Ask them what the charge for whatever type of aerial photography you are pursuing (roof inspection for example), then say "here's a crazy question, what do you pay for a gallon of milk?"
Let's say they say they charge $100 for roof inspection aerial photography, and milk costs $4 per gallon.
Their local economy (what the market will bare) is twice that of Kentucky, so you can charge $50 for roof inspection aerial photography.
Might want to ask if the $100 if for the job, or an hourly rate.
Let's say you live in Kentucky, and are asked to travel to Virginia. Call a store in Virginia, and get the cost of milk. Let's say it's 2.75 per gallon, which is 37.5% higher than in Ky, so you charge $68.75, or ($50 X 1.375).

Last edited:
What do you think your services are worth? Portfolio is prepared? Competitors' pricing? Competitors availability? Level of mission difficultly? Post production? Re-takes? Insurance? Business experience? Discounting? Assistants? Specialized (additional) Equipment? Legal Contracts?
Considerations only, feel free to add more.
Bottomline is you set your price.

When I had my photography business I charged team photos by the print including a $3.00 each fee. When I shot a wedding it was a flat rate at three levels each of which included "X" number of hours. Additional hours were at $125.00 per. If you have a single, specific gig, I'd recommend a flat rate.

In my area, photographers (aerial or otherwise) charge for the finished product. I've never seen anyone mention an hourly charge.

Plus, some people work faster than others. If you're very good at what you do and can complete the work quickly, you'll make less money by charging hourly. If you're super slow and take longer than everyone else, you'll overcharge your customers and likely drive away business over time.
In Phoenix I charge 1000.00 with no post production for weddings.. The client usually 1k. Post production is extra. Usually they have someone else do it.

Solar inspections take 10 min and I charge 50 for those.

Inspecting gas and oil lines for the company I work for I get paid a good amount.

My wife has lymphoma stage 4 and I can't afford to treat it. My wife is not a citizen. Yet so no help from govt. I order a command case for the m2p so that she can sit in a chair and fly for fun. We pretty broke to be honest. With her I should but a chair right in front of tripod and command case.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina