DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

when flying a drone how often to look in the sky?

alkaye

Reactions
I see many videos where operators are looking a the screen most of the time? Is this the best way to fly? I was trained to watch the drone more often, but maybe it makes more sense to watch the screen and see what the drone sees more?

I see many videos where operators are looking a the screen most of the time? Is this the best way to fly? I was trained to watch the drone more often, but maybe it makes more sense to watch the screen and see what the drone sees more?
I typically watch the screen unless the drone is very close, ~10-15ft. The view from the screen is much more accurate as to where the drone is flying especially low flights through trees. Looking at the drone in this case has very poor depth perception. I cannot tell if I will hit a tree or pass on the near or far side of it by looking at the drone.

Technically speaking on FAA terms you need to be looking at your aircraft ALL THE TIME and keep it in VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT (VLOS). If not you need to have a spotter assigned to this duty, FAA rules. All that being said, yes, most operators will be looking at their downlink video feed to see what they are filming.... (that is the reality).

Technically speaking on FAA terms you need to be looking at your aircraft ALL THE TIME and keep it in VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT (VLOS). If not you need to have a spotter assigned to this duty, FAA rules. All that being said, yes, most operators will be looking at their downlink video feed to see what they are filming.... (that is the reality).
That is clearly the reality. It does make a bit of a mockery for those who do a lot of filming without a second spotter (is that really OK with the FAA rules?) and complain about folks that fly too far away to be able see the drone. I think there is a lot of criticism regarding the latter done by people who do the former. They are different infractions that one might argue in terms of seriousness but both are infractions.

Reactions: RMS001
Sorry, but this is not correct. 14 CFR 107.31(a) states:

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight…

The regulation does not state that the rPIC/VO/person at controls must be looking directly at the drone for the entire flight, only that they are able to see it should the need arise. It also goes on to say what you must be able to discern by looking directly at the drone, but that’s beyond the scope of this particular discussion.

If you do not look up occasionally then you will not see if something is going to be in your way or coming your way.

I will pay more attention to the drone when I know there are birds in the area.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
In my learnings, the intent of VLOS is the pilot must maintain the ability to avert a collision between the drone and some other object: like a person, another aircraft, etc. This implies you can determine direction, speed, and know how to turn or maneuver the drone to avoid such things, visually (unaided, binocs not allowed).

A gnat against the sky at 2500 feet is not something that you can visually discern for direction and controllability.

I watch my drone most of the time. I glance down at the screen from time to time, which is allowed under the rules. But I don't tend to video much. And when I'm taking photos my drone is usually stationary. On the few occasions when I have not been able to immediately locate my drone after looking down I hit RTH, and then take over control again when I have located it. Of course I fly most of the time in class D airspace, so extra care is required. But watching the screen continuously clearly violates the spirit of the regulation if not the letter; you are essentially flying FPV (which requires a second person to act as an observer).

That said, I've gotten somewhat philosophical about this BVLOS debate. I know people driving cars exceed the speed limit from time to time. If it is on my residential street, it bothers me. If it is on a rural highway, it doesn't. I might even exceed the speed limit from time to time. What's different here is rather than just bending the rules a bit, some folks brag about flaunting them. That sets a bad example for, say, a newcomer learning to fly near a busy airport, or for that matter, near a stadium. In those situations it creates a real risk. And please don't start again with "the mini is so light". As explained in many other threads, what matters is the relative speed of the two aircraft in a collision, and the material (e.g. battery) involved in the impact. See this thread for an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: smashse and Rchawks
For the last couple of years I've flown with the intent that the onus is on me if there is an incident with a manned aircraft. It's up to me to avoid the situation no matter the circumstances to the best of my ability. At the same time I can't use "the best of my ability" as an excuse to claim it's not my fault if something goes south. Every time I fly I understand the risk and try to minimize it as much as possible. So I try to fly where I have enough time to react quickly enough to hopefully avoid an incident. If I'm flying at distance, I realize it takes time for a detected aircraft in my drones vicinity to reach it, so I watch my telemetry and screen while operating (doing camera work) and tend to scan the skies just enough to react responsibly. That usually gives me enough time to watch the monitor to do my camera work. And I don't overreact when a plane appears on the horizon and there's enough time to maneuver out of the way. I simply see and avoid. In that case I often note the incoming aircraft's flight direction and using the camera and telemetry, drop low enough to stay clear of it. But I never use the camera-only to see and avoid, so I keep the UAV in sight using strobes to assist. AGL is also factored in but I rarely fly above 100+ feet because I generally have no need for images or video when pushing 200-400 AGL. Flying around and only watching the video feed so you can feel like your a real pilot just adds unneeded risk IMO especially if you're flying without a spotter. At the same time I also understand that an actual aircraft impact would be rare. I fly RC combat with several planes in the air trying to take each other out and it's fairly difficult to actually hit another plane. Still IMO I don't think that is a good excuse to use in court if you hit a manned aircraft. I've found when flying any RC aircraft and my UAV is closer to me, I have more of a chance of not detecting an incoming full sized plane in time to safely get out of the way, so I watch my UAV closer and look around a bit more. It's similar to flying around obstacles where my camera screen and stats don't help as much as actually watching the UAV to keep from hitting something. Up close I usually rely on video or telemetry only when I need it. Having reasonable cover (flying around stuff where a plane can't) is where I can glue my eyes to the screen more to do the camera work.

My closest encounters with the big boys have all been when an aircraft is on me before I can hear and/or see it and the UAV is close to my control station giving me less time to react to get away.

I'm not saying I don't break my own flight methods from time to time, & only try to avoid the more risky situations as much as possible. But if your head is stuck in the video monitor most of the time, you should have a spotter.

My M3 and FPV both notify me on my screen when an aircraft is in the vicinity well before I can hear or see them...

My M3 and FPV both notify me on my screen when an aircraft is in the vicinity well before I can hear or see them...
Only if the aircraft has ADS-B out. Most, but not all do.

Depending on where you're located you could be seeing less than 50% of the aircraft in your vicinity at any time.

1) Not all aircraft are required to have it in ALL airspace
2) Due to terrain/obstacles you may not be "Seeing" local aircraft
3) If the aircraft are flying low they may not be hitting the ADS-B receivers therefore will not show up on the system.

I fly many hours every week and my style is to fly looking AT the aircraft the vast majority of the time. I fly to location watching the aircraft and then line up my shot (takes a mere few seconds) and then take the shot. If it's video same thing but I'll split my time between screen and aircraft about 50/50.

If you're flying more from the screen than looking around you are missing (and risking) a LOT!!

Sorry, but this is not correct. 14 CFR 107.31(a) states:

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight…

The regulation does not state that the rPIC/VO/person at controls must be looking directly at the drone for the entire flight, only that they are able to see it should the need arise. It also goes on to say what you must be able to discern by looking directly at the drone, but that’s beyond the scope of this particular discussion.
That is an interesting take, I wonder what the FAA would say in this particular, seemingly gray area?

Wording for recreational pilots:

"Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you."

Wording for 107 pilots:

"Keep your drone within sight. If you use First Person View or similar technology, you must have a visual observer always keep your drone within unaided sight (for example, no binoculars)."

I can see how it could be interpreted that way.... and you may be correct, but I would wager if your drone is more than 1000 feet away (daytime) and you come from out of your goggles you'd be hard pressed to see it quickly, and I'm sure that would be an issue for the FAA :)

Sometimes I feel like I should become an actual aircraft pilot just to fly without looking out the window. I dont think my knees could take paragliding (not saying they fly blind)...

I look at the screen in the same way I look at my instrument panel when driving — quick glances between scans of the area. I'm also doing mostly still photography so once I have the aircraft in place the picture-taking is mostly automatic.

If I was shooting more video I'd make an effort to get a visual observer to monitor the sky while I was focused on the screen. As it stands I don't need to do that very often.

I look at the screen in the same way I look at my instrument panel when driving — quick glances between scans of the area. I'm also doing mostly still photography so once I have the aircraft in place the picture-taking is mostly automatic.

If I was shooting more video I'd make an effort to get a visual observer to monitor the sky while I was focused on the screen. As it stands I don't need to do that very often.
uh-hu. sure you do! :)

• Angry
Reactions: VenomXts

That's exactly how we fly as well. It works very well and has for a few years now.

That's exactly how we fly as well. It works very well and has for a few years now.
Me too. I think you will particularly find that many pilots who were licensed for passenger planes before starting to fly drones fly drones this way. It is part of the training; unless your are flying in a cloud (zero visibility anyway) or when you have an observer (in this case another licensed pilot) doing the looking for you you must look out the window except when glancing at an instrument or a chart. With practice you just get used to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne