DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where does the sky become FAA?

Not sure but is in several and trying to fix them now .

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Back to the NASCAR question.
FOX TV made a point of the time and hoops they had to jump through to be allowed to use a drone for TV coverage of the 2019 Daytona 500 race. They flew low along the backstretch and never over the crowd.

Reactions: BigAl07
Back to the NASCAR question.
FOX TV made a point of the time and hoops they had to jump through to be allowed to use a drone for TV coverage of the 2019 Daytona 500 race. They flew low along the backstretch and never over the crowd.
Link please?

Does this apply on the UK as well (CAA regs)?
If I test a new build in my back yard and only hover less than 3 metres do the regs still apply ???
Thanks for any views on this
Steve
Yes, the CAA Regs still apply and, if your back yard was in, say, Cranford (*), you would be breaking the law. Probably with a new-is DJI drone, not actually able to take off. Conversely, if you owned a thousand acres of some wilderness, free of all flight restrictions, you still can't fly above 400ft there unless you get CAA permission.

* Note for non-Brits: Cranford is the London area immediately East of Heathrow Airport and is on the flight path.

I don't think this has even been hammered out yet in the courts, but where does the sky come under the jurisdiction of the FAA?

I asked because there is an interesting story over here:
NASCAR teams up with DroneShield to bring down unwanted drones at racing events

Basically NASCAR has contracted DroneShield to take down any drones around the area of a race.

Details are scant but if I can take pictures from public property that overlooks a NASCAR area does the FAA give them free rein to take it down? Or what if a drone is flying at 400' over the area by a FAA 107 licensed pilot. Is that height still NASCAR's that they can demand this? Does the FAA even have say anymore to these corporations?

The FAA regulates from the ground up, but some airspace is designated as “uncontrolled,” which doesn’t mean unregulated. As far as I know, the FAA regulates all airspace in the USA.

In any case, it’s against the law to fly over a stadium or NASCAR event between 1-hr before and 1-hr after an event. There is an automatic TFR. See attached iPhone screen shot from AirMap.

B82141D3-A4D3-4886-8244-FE27A27C843A.png

I had noticed the info about NASCAR when reading section 107. Overlooking the fact that there is no such thing as Sprint races as they are now Monster Energy races, it would seem they don't have an automatic tfr for the race weekend. The truck races are often on Friday night and the Xfinity races are on Saturday. Naturally the normal rules about flying over crowds would still likely apply here when any event is being held, but they may not quite have an exclusive right to the air around them for the weekend unless a special tfr was put in place.

Does this apply on the UK as well (CAA regs)?
If I test a new build in my back yard and only hover less than 3 metres do the regs still apply ???
Thanks for any views on this
Steve

I don’t know about the UK, but in the USA, you can’t fly in controlled airspace or under an applicable TFR at any altitude, including 3 m, without permission. I would bet the UK laws are similar. Of course the FAA, and I assume the CAS, don’t regulate indoor flying, so consider flying indoors.

I don't think this has even been hammered out yet in the courts, but where does the sky come under the jurisdiction of the FAA?

I asked because there is an interesting story over here:
NASCAR teams up with DroneShield to bring down unwanted drones at racing events

Basically NASCAR has contracted DroneShield to take down any drones around the area of a race.

Details are scant but if I can take pictures from public property that overlooks a NASCAR area does the FAA give them free rein to take it down? Or what if a drone is flying at 400' over the area by a FAA 107 licensed pilot. Is that height still NASCAR's that they can demand this? Does the FAA even have say anymore to these
I live just outside the five mile air space to Atlanta Motor Speedway. Whenever the race is in town there is a TFR. none of my dronz will even fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica