DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where does the sky become FAA?

Bryce steiner

Reactions
I don't think this has even been hammered out yet in the courts, but where does the sky come under the jurisdiction of the FAA?

I asked because there is an interesting story over here:
NASCAR teams up with DroneShield to bring down unwanted drones at racing events

Basically NASCAR has contracted DroneShield to take down any drones around the area of a race.

Details are scant but if I can take pictures from public property that overlooks a NASCAR area does the FAA give them free rein to take it down? Or what if a drone is flying at 400' over the area by a FAA 107 licensed pilot. Is that height still NASCAR's that they can demand this? Does the FAA even have say anymore to these corporations?

First blush, and only off the top of my head; since it is the FAA’s airspace they would likely be liable for any damage or taking your drone.

If they are having an event it is surely going to be a no fly zone for that time anyway.

Bottom line, NASCAR or the track owners are not empowered to enforce FAA regs.

In answer to the jurisdiction question, it seems I have read that FAA controls from the top of the grass up.
If you visit dronesheild you’ll see how bogus they are.

Reactions: jagraphics
You can bet your bottom $$ that NASCAR has their own FAA Liaison and they will create a TFR for the area. That's common practice.

First blush, and only off the top of my head; since it is the FAA’s airspace they would likely be liable for any damage or taking your drone.

If they are having an event it is surely going to be a no fly zone for that time anyway.

Bottom line, NASCAR or the track owners are not empowered to enforce FAA regs.

In answer to the jurisdiction question, it seems I have read that FAA controls from the top of the grass up.
If you visit dronesheild you’ll see how bogus they are.

They will have issues with FCC without the proper licensing for transmitting high power signals to intentionally jam the GPS spectrum, but as mentioned by you, tcope and others, the FAA could have issued a temporary NFZ for it being a crowded public event. So, pilots making a fuss about it may still have legal issues...

They will have issues with FCC for transmitting high power signals to intentionally jam the GPS spectrum, but as mentioned by tcope, the FAA could have issued a temporary NFZ for it being a crowded public event. So, pilots making a fuss about it may still have legal issues...
Agree 100%.

Looks like the next thing I buy or build for my bird will have to be a radio jamming device :mad:

This is all old school stuff anyways, the next generation of drones do not have to use outside radio signals for navigation, they can already do dead recogning based on computer vision of terrain and are independent of any outside commands... scarry stuff - if you are a Treky, recall the Dreadnought episode?

We kinda went thru this a while back when I wanted to take pic's of NHMS when no event was happening. NHMS told me they owed the airspace over the track and they had a NFZ in place 365 days a year which if you remember I posted pictures form B4ufly and airmap that showed no such restricted airspace. Yes during race events they have TFR but not 365 as they claim. Just another corporate bully trying to act like they own the world..

We kinda went thru this a while back when I wanted to take pic's of NHMS when no event was happening. NHMS told me they owed the airspace over the track and they had a NFZ in place 365 days a year which if you remember I posted pictures form B4ufly and airmap that showed no such restricted airspace. Yes during race events they have TFR but not 365 as they claim. Just another corporate bully trying to act like they own the world..
... and if we pilots have difficulty understanding all the nuances...

Looks like the next thing I buy or build for my bird will have to be a radio jamming device :mad:
Shields up Mr Worf

Jamming Prohibition

The use of "cell jammers" or similar devices designed to intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications (signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, etc.) is a violation of federal law. Also, it is unlawful to advertise, sell, distribute, or otherwise market these devices to consumers in the United States. These devices pose serious risks to critical public safety communications, and can prevent you and others from making 9-1-1 and other emergency calls. Jammers can also interfere with law enforcement communications. Operation of a jammer in the United States may subject you to substantial monetary penalties, seizure of the unlawful equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment.

But still I believe the downing of drones by NASCAR or it’s contractors is illegal. Not that U would fly there mind you.
I’ll bet everyone here a M2P that to make sure they’re not violating federal law.
But still I believe the downing of drones by NASCAR or it’s contractors is illegal. Not that U would fly there mind you.
I’m pretty sure NASCAR will confer with the FAA and run this by several teams of high-powered lawyers before they take any action that could violate federal law.

Shields up Mr Worf

Jamming Prohibition

The use of "cell jammers" or similar devices designed to intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications (signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, etc.) is a violation of federal law. Also, it is unlawful to advertise, sell, distribute, or otherwise market these devices to consumers in the United States. These devices pose serious risks to critical public safety communications, and can prevent you and others from making 9-1-1 and other emergency calls. Jammers can also interfere with law enforcement communications. Operation of a jammer in the United States may subject you to substantial monetary penalties, seizure of the unlawful equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment.

The Cardassians may have a caviot to this however, they have applied for a radio station permit. And as per licensing with FCC, many consumer devices, e.g., drones and other radio controlled ‘toys’, have to be able to accept radio interference, including that which causes unwanted results- it states this on the sticker inside our drones:

3DF71E81-4A47-417F-8023-7C764D5FC774.png

Last edited:
Reactions: frank candor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU