DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which SD Card for a M2Pro?

SHRED

Reactions
Will a 32GB sized card be sufficient for a few flights? I wanted to get a few of them. Thanks

Yes, 32 GB will be sufficient for a few flights.

After you have your camera settings configured, you can look at the top, right of DJI GO to see the number of minutes remaining (if in video mode) or number of photos remaining (if in photo mode).

1549411122425.png

That'll give you an idea of what your existing memory card will hold. So, if you only have a 16 GB memory card right now (for example), multiple whatever you see by two to figure out what a 32 GB memory card could store for your unique video/photo settings.

Reactions: SHRED
I use a Sandisk extreme 64gb. It has 1hr 24mins capacity of 4K hq 30fps 10bit d-log, as a reference point.

I’m not sure on that term uhs1/u3 and what not. I do know it needs to specify that it has a minimum write speed of 100mb/s though. Any of the name brands will give accurate info for that.
Read speed isn’t as important.

I’m not sure on that term uhs1/u3 and what not. I do know it needs to specify that it has a minimum write speed of 100mb/s though. Any of the name brands will give accurate info for that.
Read speed isn’t as important.

I was wondering that. Thanks

I do know it needs to specify that it has a minimum write speed of 100mb/s though
The Mavic 2 is only able to write data at a max speed of 12.5 MB/s (100 Mbps).

Agreed, that’s what I wrote :)

mb/s vs mB/s

Do memory cards use the true bit to byte conversion (8) or the dumbed down (10) scale?

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I should have used uppercase M’s for each, but the b’s are correct (and really the important difference)

Interestingly, Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 are rated to write at up to 60MB/s. You need to go up to 128GB to achieve up to 90MB/s performance. If people here have been happy with 64GB cards, sounds like it's not critical to achieve the 100MB/s write capacity of the M2 as long as the card is 4K rated (which U3 is). Comparison chart here: Extreme® microSDXC™ UHS-I CARD | SanDisk

sounds like it's not critical to achieve the 100MB/s write capacity of the M2
The M2 is only able to write data at a max of 12.5 MB/s (100 Mbps). So, all U3 rated memory cards should allow for optimal performance.

Agreed, that’s what I wrote :)

mb/s vs mB/s

Do memory cards use the true bit to byte conversion (8) or the dumbed down (10) scale?

Bits to byte conversion has always been divide by 8. Maybe an imprecise approximation would use 10.

Interestingly, Sandisk Extreme 64GB U3 are rated to write at up to 60MB/s. You need to go up to 128GB to achieve up to 90MB/s performance. If people here have been happy with 64GB cards, sounds like it's not critical to achieve the 100MB/s write capacity of the M2 as long as the card is 4K rated (which U3 is). Comparison chart here: Extreme® microSDXC™ UHS-I CARD | SanDisk
Careful of the minefield that SD card spec's are ...

A lot of SD cards will advertise high write speeds, but that could be just for a short burst of data e.g. they would be OK to take an HD photograph in a stills camera. The 'U3' specification [UHS Speed Class 3] denotes a "minumum sustained write speed" of 30MB/sec (240 Mb/sec). UHS speed class 1 [U1] SD cards have a minimum sustained write speed of 10MB/sec (80 Mb/sec). A U1 card can't sustain a high enough write speed to guarantee you good HD video without drop-out and frame loss.

In other words, when you want to continuously stream HD video at the SD card, it will initially for the first mSec or so, have a much higher write speed, but as the data continues to hit the memory, it will slow in its ability to organise and write the data. The U3 spec' is effectively saying that if you want to continually hit that card with an HD video stream - it will save and store all of it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaggyC