DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Drone Pilots Need To Be Responsible

unlike some of the SAs ^ on this site that some how think they know an altitude of a plane shot on cell a phone for 15 sec better then someone viewing it in person in their own back yard, " That they fly UAV in and know the alt of buildings and trees ." for about 60 seconds before getting the phone out to record.

You're accustomed to flying a tiny aircraft at low altitude, so seeing a huge aircraft at 1,000 feet (probably higher) looks like it's "so close" to the ground. It wasn't that low and, more importantly, the pilot was not being irresponsible. Maybe you have bad depth perception or maybe you just got excited to see a big boy plane. BTW - Sometimes the moon looks REALLY big and close to the Earth: Don't panic, we're not on a collision course. LOLOLOLOLOL

ps. Nice job spamming the thread with videos that do nothing to support your claim that the plane in your original post was "so close" to the ground. But I give you credit for trying. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The tree at the end of the video is 68 ft high

So? It's also only a few yards away from you while the airplane is hundreds of feet away. It's called perspective. By your logic the moon is no bigger than my thumb.

Reactions: sar104
So? It's also only a few yards away from you while the airplane is hundreds of feet away. It's called perspective. By your logic the moon is no bigger than my thumb.

Since the aircraft is almost exactly 100 ft long, it's pretty easy to measure its altitude in the video - approximately 1000 ft AGL.

Roy, was this video shot last Monday? I agree with the others that it was likely a flyby at an event, like a Memorial Day Celebration. Do you have a Veterans Park near by?

I had a similar experience on Memorial Day. A C-17 flew over my house. Shook the whole house and set off car alarms in the neighborhood. I have a small Veterans Park less then 1/2 mile away. They were flying by for an event there.

(Photo not taken by me, credit unknown)

Attachments

• E80032BD-738F-49F2-B1B4-BB2771795C0E.jpeg
    E80032BD-738F-49F2-B1B4-BB2771795C0E.jpeg
    980.6 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Roy, was this video shot last Monday? I agree with the others that it was likely a flyby at an event, like a Memorial Day Celebration. Do you have a Veterans Park near by?

I had a similar experience on Memorial Day. A C-17 flew over my house. Shook the whole house and set off car alarms in the neighborhood. I have a small Veterans Park less then 1/2 mile away. They were flying by for an event there.

(Photo not taken by me, credit unknown)
I bet it did shake things up! Used to ride them in USAF mobility exercises.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Rainbow Canyon, aka “Star Wars Canyon”, in Death Valley is a great place to watch military jets pass by at over 400kts right below you:

Wow. That would be an awesome experience.

unlike some of the SAs ^ on this site that some how think they know an altitude of a plane shot on cell a phone for 15 sec better then someone viewing it in person in their own back yard, " That they fly UAV in and know the alt of buildings and trees ." for about 60 seconds before getting the phone out to record.
If you want to know how to judge the height of an aircraft, an easy way to do it is spend some time at an airfield that trains private pilots. before and after first solo, a lot of the training is in circuit and involves touch-and-go's ... The downwind leg of a circuit is always done at 1,000 ft AGL ... Watching aircraft do that downwind leg will give you some reference to judge height - and you may be surprised that it doesn't seem to be all that high! By the way @Roy Rogers ... this "SA" has both spent time watching and flying circuits, so this advice is coming from personal experience ... ?

Reactions: sar104
NOMAD is correct, just estimate the size of the aircraft. When planes fly over my house I always try to guess the altitude. I try comparing my Mavic Air to the wheels
on the plane (which are much bigger than my AC) compared to how my AC looks at 400 feet where I see it easily. The planes are almost always at 1000 feet at least, and the Mavic Air would about disappear at that hight. Just keep your eyes and ears open.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
If you want to know how to judge the height of an aircraft, an easy way to do it is spend some time at an airfield that trains private pilots. before and after first solo, a lot of the training is in circuit and involves touch-and-go's ... The downwind leg of a circuit is always done at 1,000 ft AGL ... Watching aircraft do that downwind leg will give you some reference to judge height - and you may be surprised that it doesn't seem to be all that high! By the way @Roy Rogers ... this "SA" has both spent time watching and flying circuits, so this advice is coming from personal experience ... ?

...and this SA has 2600 hrs PIC and god knows how many sat on the Apron watching my compatriots, it always helps to have seen things from the OTHER side.
Judging height of an object from the ground is very very difficult, but practice and an awareness of factors that can distort your perception helps a lot.

Ever notice how motorists with no experience of anything but car driving have a greater tendency to blame motorcyclists/cyclists/HGV Drivers for any incident that involves themselves and the OTHER when often the facts are very different?

It translates to all areas, shallow experience fields do not promote empathy and understanding of events

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Commercial Pilots Sometimes are Not Responsible
This plane was so close to the ground , I couldn't believe what I was seeing .
This is over 10 miles from a airport . What reason could any pilot have for flying so low ?
Looks like a B-29. A WW II bomber. My guess the airshow was in town or participating in a fund raiser for a local chapter of the CAF. In both cases they sell “gee whiz” rides . The ride is about 20 minutes and doesn’t get very high. Basically a single lap around the patch and land. They go for about $500 bucks US.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter