DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the zoom Mavic do more harm than good?

Yes, it's my opinion, but I'd say it's a realistic, if truncated expectation of modern democracy, at least in my experience.
No it's not reasonable, some drones to have zoom lenses (e.g. Inspire), and zoom lens on a (supposed) Mavic to ban all drones on earth.

And it's not reasonable, someone who hates zoom lenses on drones, to call his representative in government, and government to vote for a ban of all drones with zoom camera.

It's not reasonable to ban ourselves from a hobby, or make the hobby hidden, because we are afraid that someone will be bothered, even if we are legal, and he will manage to ban us. It doesn't make sense.

You're quoting me but replying to points I haven't even made. I give up.

"FWIW 43mm is roughly human eye field of view so fully zoomed in the image will be roughly what you'd see with the naked eye."

...that has never, ever been true but was broadly accepted as a 'standard' with a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera. With the tiddly little sensors we're talking about it's not even in the ballpark.

I think you guys are missing something: if you're photographed by someone with a camera or a phone, and you can see it, then you know who the photographer is, and can use that information as you want. I think that part of what bothers people about being around drones isn't so much the camera, as such, as it is the fact that you usually can't tell who's operating it, or even where they are. Of course, this is true of superzooms, too -- but people generally don't know they're being shot with a superzoom. A drone has the double fact of visibility and anonymity, and I think *that*'s what gets people upset.

I'm not saying it's rational or fair, but I do understand it.

Explain "use that information as you want"? Taking photos and videos is 100% legal in most first world countries so apart from getting gnarly, there was, and is, nothing you can do about it.

Do you understand what "Be reasonable" means? It doesn't mean capitulate to every single complaint without question. If the law says stay 50m from people and someone complains, don't just state that you're legally allowed to fly there, just pull back to 75m or something. You can appease someone without completely stopping what you're doing.

Well you just managed to contradict yourself. Why should you move back to 75m? If you're flying legally, or doing anything else legally, the rest of the world can go **** itself.

Well you just managed to contradict yourself. Why should you move back to 75m? If you're flying legally, or doing anything else legally, the rest of the world can go **** itself.
Thank you for providing another demonstration of the attitude I'm talking about. There's no contradiction in that post, I'm talking about being mindful of other people's' wishes.

I genuinely don't know how to respond to that without wanting to claw my eyes out in frustration, so I'll just leave you to it.

Explain "use that information as you want"? Taking photos and videos is 100% legal in most first world countries so apart from getting gnarly, there was, and is, nothing you can do about it.

Sure. By "use that information as you want" I mean "ask them not to take your photograph", something that happens to people wielding stand-alone cameras all the time -- and a request which in my experience is usually honored, and which is often, even usually, unavailable to people who spot a drone in their vicinity, since it's often impossible to tell who's flying it.

In a nutshell:

1. I can't see how a zoom lens can make for better aerial videos in most cases (but maybe that's just me).

2. More seriously, the biggest weapon we can use against charges of invading people's privacy, looking at kids, etc is the fact that the Mavic has a camera that cannot make people look much bigger than ants when it is flying at a reasonable height. A zoom lens will take that protection away from us.
That's a fact Jack...some one suggested that a "parabolic ear" be mounted, what are great way to kill the drone hobby...be safe fly safe

Sure. By "use that information as you want" I mean "ask them not to take your photograph", something that happens to people wielding stand-alone cameras all the time -- and a request which in my experience is usually honored, and which is often, even usually, unavailable to people who spot a drone in their vicinity, since it's often impossible to tell who's flying it.
When you're out I public you have no rights of privacy...you can be photographed/videoed without recourse

Reactions: Inspirephil
Get a grip and a life!!! Just go fly your drone and follow the rules...enjoy the flying time and the shots you take...worry about things like that and it take all the enjoyment of flying your drone away!!

1. I can't see how a zoom lens can make for better aerial videos in most cases (but maybe that's just me).

2. More seriously, the biggest weapon we can use against charges of invading people's privacy, looking at kids, etc is the fact that the Mavic has a camera that cannot make people look much bigger than ants when it is flying at a reasonable height. A zoom lens will take that protection away from us.[/QUOTE]

Reality as I see it: Everything ever discovered or invented by the human race has and will be used for the users advantage whether for good or for bad. Individuals or nations will make those choices, we can pass laws and discuss, but in the end, everyone will have an opinion and can choose to do what they want. Applies to just about everything in life.
I will try to fly responsibly ( as I define it ) but at the same time know that many won't like it. Not much I can do, much like all the other choices I make!

Reality as I see it: Everything ever discovered or invented by the human race has and will be used for the users advantage whether for good or for bad. Individuals or nations will make those choices, we can pass laws and discuss, but in the end, everyone will have an opinion and can choose to do what they want. Applies to just about everything in life.
I will try to fly responsibly ( as I define it ) but at the same time know that many won't like it. Not much I can do, much like all the other choices I make!
Again... that's where "moral fiber" and "personal integrity" step in...be safe fly safe

In a nutshell:

2. More seriously, the biggest weapon we can use against charges of invading people's privacy, looking at kids, etc is the fact that the Mavic has a camera that cannot make people look much bigger than ants when it is flying at a reasonable height. A zoom lens will take that protection away from us.

It is target at Police/fire/rescue not really the general public.

When you're out I public you have no rights of privacy...you can be photographed/videoed without recourse

Yes, I'm aware of privacy rights, where you have them and where you don't. Believe me. That doesn't mean you always have to exploit them. If I'm out in public with a camera, and start to take someone's picture, and they ask me not to, I'll abide by their request. I consider it a basic courtesy, even if I'm legally in the right. You may not. So, gosh, I guess we disagree on this. But that's not important: try to keep up, here. I wasn't trying to argue fine points of the law or social behavior, I was suggesting a hypothesis about why people often seem to be more upset by drone photography than they are by regular, hand-held photography.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ