DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the zoom Mavic do more harm than good?

Bottom Line is simply that (here in the USA) when one is in a public or open area, the right to explicit privacy is forfeit. This means if person A is in a park or other public venue, person A is within their right to photo/video anyone else in the same public venue. Person B should NOT expect a full right to privacy when in a public area. However, Person A may NOT approach person B's docile and expect to be free to photo person B through their windows. That is definitely invasion of privacy. When in a public area, it becomes very unfortunate that some persons would take advantage to photo nothing but little children. Not acceptable, but legal! ("I'm compiling photos for youth sports and potential injuries.") Yeah right! But, still legal. The bottom line here is that even with a zoom lens, one is wholly permitted to legally photo/video in the open domain/public areas. Courts have ruled individuals should expect their right to privacy to be forfeit if they are in a public area, i.e., city park, city streets/sidewalks, open spaces, public transportation, virtually anywhere that is not of a private venue. The one thing any photographer/videographer must remember is that while it is permitted to photo/video another person in public, there comes a potential point in time when harassment sets in. Respect others privacy, and if they do happen to object, don't take their photo/video or assure them you will blur their face if features are distinguishable.

Guys, relax about 2x zoom! Have you ever thought about if someone will decide to rotate the Hubble up side down? They will see a bug on your lawn and you will not even notice. The most silent flying object with superzoom.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Yes, I'm aware of privacy rights, where you have them and where you don't. Believe me. That doesn't mean you always have to exploit them. If I'm out in public with a camera, and start to take someone's picture, and they ask me not to, I'll abide by their request. I consider it a basic courtesy, even if I'm legally in the right. You may not. So, gosh, I guess we disagree on this. But that's not important: try to keep up, here. I wasn't trying to argue fine points of the law or social behavior, I was suggesting a hypothesis about why people often seem to be more upset by drone photography than they are by regular, hand-held photography.[/QUOTE
Guys, relax about 2x zoom! Have you ever thought about if someone will decide to rotate the Hubble up side down? They will see a bug on your lawn and you will not even notice. The most silent flying object with superzoom.
Nice!

Venezuale, Caracas, this FOR SURE will do harm to our hobby and/or job

In regard to this question, the answer is "work": while filming the gutters of a house, as I did a couple of times with the Mavic (didn't know all the rules back then) and many times with the Spark (now I know the rules and took the Spark and brougth it to 300 grams and can fly almost anywhere), in order to have good detail in important spots one needs to zoom in or, if no zoom available, get closer and closer and risk to hit something, expecially when there's some wind and/or the metal in the roof is disturbing the compass. The zoom fo the Mavic is fantastic at that, I really miss it when I use the Spark

A little sidebar - can you clarify what you mean about "the rules" re: gutter inspection? Thanks

A little sidebar - can you clarify what you mean about "the rules" re: gutter inspection? Thanks

In Italy, if your drone weighs more than 300 grams, in order to fly near houses and/or people you have a lot of paperwork to do and money to pay and heavy hassles, while if you're under 300 grams it's all easy-peasy. Here are the requirements, specifying the only one that also applies to drones under 300 grams:
- take 2 exams for certification, paying between 600 and 1000 eur each
- pay 94 eur a year to ENAC for registration (also drones under 300 grams)
- request permissione to ENAC for every flight, paying 94 eur each and waiting 30 days circa for the authorization to arrive
- delimit a buffer area around the operations area at least 6 meters radius (if you have a tethering cord tied to the drone) or 12 meters (if no cord) using barriers
- install a flight terminator device on the drone

As you see, with a spark reduced to 300 grams I only have to abide by the 2nd point, 94 euros a year. And, most of all, I don't need to ride a truck full of barriers in order to fly near a house :)

In Italy, if your drone weighs more than 300 grams, in order to fly near houses and/or people you have a lot of paperwork to do and money to pay and heavy hassles, while if you're under 300 grams it's all easy-peasy. Here are the requirements, specifying the only one that also applies to drones under 300 grams:
- take 2 exams for certification, paying between 600 and 1000 eur each
- pay 94 eur a year to ENAC for registration (also drones under 300 grams)
- request permissione to ENAC for every flight, paying 94 eur each and waiting 30 days circa for the authorization to arrive
- delimit a buffer area around the operations area at least 6 meters radius (if you have a tethering cord tied to the drone) or 12 meters (if no cord) using barriers
- install a flight terminator device on the drone

As you see, with a spark reduced to 300 grams I only have to abide by the 2nd point, 94 euros a year. And, most of all, I don't need to ride a truck full of barriers in order to fly near a house :)
Wow, ok. I mean it kind of makes sense to have some restrictions . Not that same in the States - didn't realize you were in italy. Thanks for the info, still.nice to broaden my knowledge!

Reactions: Vilco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser