DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly and film below -10 Degree celcius?

I'm from Canada, so that happens often around here.
While it is true that it falls below the MP's operating temperature, the robot still works. The main drawback is the hit on battery life and cold fingers. I've also noticed more drops in signal (don't really understand why).
As far as warranty is concerned; I doubt they'd be able to tell at what temperature the device was operated in, but I may be wrong.

Reactions: Manny T
WOW. Love this video. You have edited it superbly and the sound track just adds the finishing touch. Very talented. Thank you so much for sharing

Thanks a lot man! appreciate the kind comments. It's my pleasure to share. thanks

have been flying in mountings then do snowboarding at -15C fly time was arround 20minutes no any issues at all, one day was flying on strong wind and then I receive claim that wind to strong and due low temperature (~ -15C) I should be carefull - fly time was arround 18min but battery was discharge it self before (got warning that storage discharge) and wind so dont think its affecting a lot

Yeah, also in Canada here, and we have a good 3 months of that kind of temperatures..... I had one issue at -20 were my gimbal had a motor overload, but not 100% that was due to the weather....

Here's a vid at around -15

Coldest i've flown in is 6°F -14°C , but i only did a hover with panning, was up for about 5 minutes, i had no issues, like most have said you have to watch your battery life, it will deplete quicker

I’m in Canada. In winter I routinely fly my Mavic down to -15 C. without any issues at all. No doubt that it can go lower, but I don’t care for exploring to find the breaking point.

wow ok, but you will need a good warm up before take flight though wouldn't you? otherwise you get temperature reach ciritical level

I'm from Canada, so that happens often around here.
While it is true that it falls below the MP's operating temperature, the robot still works. The main drawback is the hit on battery life and cold fingers. I've also noticed more drops in signal (don't really understand why).
As far as warranty is concerned; I doubt they'd be able to tell at what temperature the device was operated in, but I may be wrong.

yea that's the only thing isnt it? the battery life will be shortened with cold temperature and not to mention, it needs to warm up to a level before its flight as well. so in a way mavic air will have even less battery life on that little machine.

have been flying in mountings then do snowboarding at -15C fly time was arround 20minutes no any issues at all, one day was flying on strong wind and then I receive claim that wind to strong and due low temperature (~ -15C) I should be carefull - fly time was arround 18min but battery was discharge it self before (got warning that storage discharge) and wind so dont think its affecting a lot
ah ok that sounds interesting, i would like to try flying on the mountains doing snowboarding as well just to see how well the mavic does. but yea the wind warning, that's awlays the case for me too but it's still find to fly though, unless the wind is like 30mph or more

Reactions: Kvark
Yeah, also in Canada here, and we have a good 3 months of that kind of temperatures..... I had one issue at -20 were my gimbal had a motor overload, but not 100% that was due to the weather....

Here's a vid at around -15

wow that's insane! -20 is soooo cold!

Reactions: Kvark
Coldest i've flown in is 6°F -14°C , but i only did a hover with panning, was up for about 5 minutes, i had no issues, like most have said you have to watch your battery life, it will deplete quicker
yea agree and it's not too bad if it's just panning hover

Reactions: NestleQuik
Great edit, I think sound design is the next step in my work...
With all the research I did before purchase, I missed the fact that the Mavic isn't recommended for flights below freezing. Living in Vermont, this is a very big deal. It's true that keeping the batteries warm and just being careful all around works, but I've had some hair raising moments. (-10F, -23 C)
If you don't have the battery info up on screen that's a good idea; keep an eye out for voltage drops.
Any of you reading about the gloves, I say DON"T BUY EM! If you're cold, the Mavic's cold. I found that by the time my fingers were getting numb it was just about time to bring her in. For solidarity, we froze together :) I also wiped the body and props down with Rain-X to prevent icing.
Here's my favorite edit in the cold:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman