DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another new Mavic Mini owner...

Alan_M

Reactions
Hi all, I'm Alan and I've just got a Mavic Mini. I've been flying various things for a few years now, as well as doing ground based RC stuff pretty much my whole life. This is my first DJI drone though, so I'm still figuring some of the stuff out. Fortunately, I live in a fairly rural area, so I've got miles of open space to fly around in with only a few restricted areas nearby. I know the Mini is under the 250g limit, but I've been debating whether or not I should register it anyway with the CAA. It's very close to the limit, and the chances are that if I attach anything to the drone it'll be over the weight limit. Has anyone else registered theirs? The only problem I have right now is it's as windy as **** outside, but I want to go play...

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup.

welcome to the forum i think that registering and doing the test would be a good idea ,you have shown that you are aware of the drone code ,and as you say could prevent issues later

Hi all, I'm Alan and I've just got a Mavic Mini. I've been flying various things for a few years now, as well as doing ground based RC stuff pretty much my whole life. This is my first DJI drone though, so I'm still figuring some of the stuff out. Fortunately, I live in a fairly rural area, so I've got miles of open space to fly around in with only a few restricted areas nearby. I know the Mini is under the 250g limit, but I've been debating whether or not I should register it anyway with the CAA. It's very close to the limit, and the chances are that if I attach anything to the drone it'll be over the weight limit. Has anyone else registered theirs? The only problem I have right now is it's as windy as **** outside, but I want to go play...
Hi Alan - Welcome to the forum. You can complete the 'Flyer Registration' part of the CAA reg' process free-of-charge - and without paying the £9 for the Operator registration. I agree with OMM above, as once you do the test - you then have 'proof' in the form of a pass-mark result e-mail from the CAA showing that you have completed the test and are aware of the rules that you need to fly under. Unfortunately, there are a few MM owners out there who think that "not having to register" their UAV, means they don't have to fly by the Dronecode rules ... Which of course, is not the case!

Welcome to the forum! :)

I too have thought maybe registering anyway. I have enquired about doing a 3 - hour police 'DroneSafe' course, but not heard back yet. Sure the test is a doddle if you know the rules.
Hits me, there is wasted weight on the Mini. Does the battery door really need to be there?
Also, the black metal decorative 'eyes' at the front.

Hi Alan - Welcome to the forum. You can complete the 'Flyer Registration' part of the CAA reg' process free-of-charge - and without paying the £9 for the Operator registration. I agree with OMM above, as once you do the test - you then have 'proof' in the form of a pass-mark result e-mail from the CAA showing that you have completed the test and are aware of the rules that you need to fly under. Unfortunately, there are a few MM owners out there who think that "not having to register" their UAV, means they don't have to fly by the Dronecode rules ... Which of course, is not the case!

Got my Flyer ID sorted. I want to test the MM out properly before I make any mods or additions that'll take it over the 250g limit. With the way the weather has been this weekend all i've been able to do is a quick test hover indoor.

Reactions: old man mavic
Onward and Upward

Hi Alan, welcome aboard, I know what you mean about the wind, I'm just down the road from you near Bp Auck.
Due to die down later this week....
Enjoy, fly safe.

Yeah, fingers crossed for better weather. Its a small world, I actually work in West Auckland.

Well, I live at the other end of Durham, so I’ll probably be doing most of my flying around the Stanley and Beamish areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78