DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You may be disappointed

• Thread starter Deleted member 114292
  • Start date
That linked post implies hardware/firmware implementation is required to do waypoints. I'm not convinced that is the case.

The drone feeds back GPS coords to the mobile device in real-time. The fly app shows a live drone position on the popup map so that functionality is definitely there. 3rd party software will be able to use this live position information to direct the drone towards a specified point or series of points. The SDK does give access to "virtual sticks" where flight automation can be achieved.

I didn't really expect there to be native support for waypoints flight written into the firmware for the MM, and that's all that post confirms.

Last edited:
That linked post implies hardware/firmware implementation is required to do waypoints. I'm not convinced that is the case.

The drone feeds back GPS coords to the mobile device in real-time. The fly app shows a live drone position on the popup map so that functionality is definitely there. 3rd party software will be able to use this live position information to direct the drone towards a specified point or series of points.

No, true waypoints support requires some firmware support on the drone, because the mission is uploaded to the drone itself before the drone flies the mission. (this allows the drone to continue the mission even if the RC is disconnected)

Reactions: cadbob and scro

The drone feeds back GPS coords to the mobile device in real-time. The fly app shows a live drone position on the popup map so that functionality is definitely there. 3rd party software will be able to use this live position information to direct the drone towards a specified point or series of points. The SDK does give access to "virtual sticks" where flight automation can be achieved.

I didn't really expect there to be native support for waypoints flight written into the firmware for the MM, and that's all that article confirms.

“But I'd like to point out that developers can still automate flight with the Mavic Mini by using Virtual Sticks.”

No, true waypoints support requires some firmware support on the drone, because the mission is uploaded to the drone itself before the drone flies the mission. (this allows the drone to continue the mission even if the RC is disconnected)
Fair point. Thumbswayup Acknowledged that truly autonomous waypoints flight probably isn't going to happen on the Mini, and would require firmware/hardware support.

"Synthetic" waypoints is still a very real possibility

Last edited:
Reactions: PanX
Heading off at a tangent a bit, how does autonomous waypoint flight sit with drone regulations requiring full control of the drone, VLOS and all that? I'm not trying to be the "drone regs police" - just asking out of curiosity.

Heading off at a tangent a bit, how does autonomous waypoint flight sit with drone regulations requiring full control of the drone, VLOS and all that? I'm not trying to be the "drone regs police" - just asking out of curiosity.

Legally you need to keep the drone within VLOS and be able to take control if needed, even during autonomous flight.

Reactions: scro
It is much like cruise control in a typical automobile or semi-autonomous auto-pilot in more advanced automobiles. The driver is still expected to watch the road, and be able to take full control at any moment if necessary.

The drone autonomous mission can be carried out as long as all regulations are still being followed:
  • I am basing this on countries where the regulations require VLOS, no flying over people, etc...
  • The pilot is still expected to have the controller in hand and be able to take over in case of any emergency.
  • The pilot is still expected to have the drone in VLOS at all times.
  • The pilot is expected not to let the flight path carry it into an area where regulations can be violated (like controlled airspace, flying over people or moving vehicles, in the path of other air traffic, etc...)
So the autonomous mission is there only to make the pilot's job easier and perhaps more precise. It is not meant to alleviate the pilot from awareness of the flight conditions or to break any pertinent regulations.

So although it won't do launch and forget like the MA1 (I know VLOS and all the legal stuff..) it should be able to fly waypoint mission as long as there is a connection to the controller/phone? So the problem is the lack of hardware to store the waypoints and processing power on the drone?

So although it won't do launch and forget like the MA1 (I know VLOS and all the legal stuff..) it should be able to fly waypoint mission as long as there is a connection to the controller/phone? So the problem is the lack of hardware to store the waypoints and processing power on the drone?
Yes.

So although it won't do launch and forget like the MA1 (I know VLOS and all the legal stuff..) it should be able to fly waypoint mission as long as there is a connection to the controller/phone?

That seems to be the case with Dronelink. However, I suspect you’ll need a fairly powerful processor in your phone/tablet for reliable operation due to the number of calculations required.

Thank you thats what I was hoping just have to see what the madmen at litchi magic up then..

Thank you thats what I was hoping just have to see what the madmen at litchi magic up then..
It seems we have several threads going about this, but Litchi has confirmed on their Facebook page that they will not be able to support waypoints or orbits, and Dronelink has confirmed that they will.

It seems we have several threads going about this, but Litchi has confirmed on their Facebook page that they will not be able to support waypoints or orbits, and Dronelink has confirmed that they will.
By the way the android and iOS versions of Dronelink supporting the SDK are now available.
You will have to load the iOS using a certain tool as explained on their website because it’s still under approval for Apple.

By the way the android and iOS versions of Dronelink supporting the SDK are now available.
You will have to load the iOS using a certain tool as explained on their website because it’s still under approval for Apple.

I just managed to connect via android !,,,
Will try to test modules later today

Last edited:
I can lift off and I see video feed via the app but I can not execute the missions
I created one , I am able to load it but when I execute it I get the message location unavailable
If I try to use existing components on the fly like 360, I get the message unable to load

I wondered the same thing about track me flights (not applicable to the mini I think but.........
I guess
Legally you need to keep the drone within VLOS and be able to take control if needed, even during autonomous flight
applies equally as well to those too.

Dear sirs

I can confirm I successfully completed a combo mission destination and orbit with my MM using DroneLink !!!!!

(Had to disable the respect restrictions option)

I think this deserves a dedicated topic, let's take it there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Nate and scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78