DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4 day old M2P ran over by car, incredible repair bill $$$ :(

Or your deductible is $500 - $1000.
No deductible.

Thats a tragedy that you now know could have been avoided. I make it a habit to land in an area that has some obfuscation from other people and objects (cars included) . If I land the Mavic gets immediately picked up and usually I hand catch so its in the hand anyway (I use the rear extended landing gear as a catch handle). Even in wide open fields I have had the errant stray dog run up to me. If I had left the Mavic sitting in an open field one would expect some measure of isolation. I dont take that for granted.

If the dog would have run up to me while the Mavic was on the ground then who knows what it would have done with it. Chew toy? Mistook it for a stick and grabbed it with its jaws and run off.

My mantra is "on ground -in hand" , "on ground-in hand"

Reactions: STUFF2C and brick
So I was out flying around with my 4 day old Mavic 2 Pro and I landed in the parking lot of my work, exactly 25 seconds later as I was reviewing the flight video on my phone a Lexus pulls in and runs over my M2P. Seemingly on purpose by the video... I don't think it was on purpose though, anyhow it's 100% pilot error and not the Lexus driver. Video will come next..

Besides that, I want to get to my point.
BUY DJI CARE REFRESH
Check out this incredibly expensive repair bill. And no, they don't offer Student Discounts on service o_O

Rear Arm Module (Right)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 21.00
Total Price: 21.00
Lower Cover Module
Downward Infrared Sensing System
Camera Module (Pro)
Net Price : 377.00
Total Price: 377.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Tax (Texas sales tax)
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
0.00 :oops::mad:
Total Payment (USD$)
641.52 :eek:

Has anyone else had to repair their drone without DJI Care Refresh?
Or am I the only person stupid enough to fly without?

Specifically how much was your M2P Camera Module?
I feel that I'm being ripped off here. I haven't paid yet because it seems excessive.
Please post your thoughts on my repair bill.

View attachment 65209View attachment 65210
Wow that sucks! But it definitely could have been avoided by securing the drone after it lands. I thought the repair bill would be much more than what you have to pay since it got ran over by a car! Hope you'll be airborne asap!

Reactions: RogerMav and brick
Personal Article Floaters do not have a deductible. Usually they are insured for and valued at contracts. Most common articles are jewelry, silverware, stamp/coin collections, cameras and golf equipment.
Wow! I’m gonna call my SF agent. Live in AZ. I had understood the items you mentioned had deductible on my policy. Thx

Reactions: Lbesing and brick
As I’ve posted before, I’ve had a similar experience... after hitting a steel grain bin at over 50km/h my mp1 got ran over by a grain truck and trailer, it was on dirt thankfully. Dji qouted me only about $350 CAD. to repair, no discount. These are tough birds! Sorry about yer happenings. Thanks fer sharing.

Reactions: brick
Sorry about your loss.

Maybe you should inquire about a replacement. I've read that sometimes DJI will offer just the naked drone without battery/controller/etc for an almost reasonable price.

After I looked at your video, I thought where's so absolutely flat and thought Texas and then I looked at your profile. Yikes, it does remind me of the time I visited my sister in Dallas - there was almost no topographical relief.

I would hope my bright orange landing pad would have helped avoid such a situation.

Good luck

And nobody asked the obvious question: If it was a sharp piece of metal the Lexus would have had at least one flat, or perhaps hitting a kid crossing the lot? What was the driver doing instead of watching where they were driving?

Glad OP can get it fixed, but sorry the driver didnt chip in, its not like the Mavic just landed right in front of them. I know OP should have been out there flying it and standing by during landing, but its just that I dont think it was all pilot fault, I would have helped a bit if it were me.

It’s great that Thunderdrones can help oit for less!

Last edited:
Ouch, seeing the front wheel miss, but the back wheel hit it made me sad.

It's good you admit pilot error straight away. I'm not saying it was your or their fault but this has happened
since R/C cars met pavement back in the 80's.

It's better if your a kid. The driver would freak out and reach for their wallet saying "is this enough"

And nobody asked the obvious question: If it was a sharp piece of metal the Lexus would have had at least one flat, or perhaps hitting a kid crossing the lot? What was the driver doing instead of watching where they were driving?

Glad OP can get it fixed, but sorry the driver didnt chip in, its not like the Mavic just landed right in front of them. I know OP should have been out there flying it and standing by during landing, but its just that I dont think it was all pilot fault, I would have helped a bit if it were me.

It’s great that Thunderdrones can help oit for less!

100% agree, even though I'm at fault, the driver was being careless. Had that been anything else he could've been-in for a world of trouble.. Unfortunately it's my boss, so there's not much I can say or do. Just fortunate it didn't damage his car I suppose.
Still think he should fork over a portion of the bill, but not going to stir a mess. Staying quiet at work. I posted this mainly to share the DJI repair center bill, as I haven't seen any other M2P bills posted online. Plenty of them for the Mavic Pro.

Side note I just paid DJI for the repairs, and it has already shipped.
They certainly did not repair it, although I was told by the person on the phone I would receive the same S/N back.
I'm 100% certain I'll get a refurb unit back, I will update when it gets here next week.

I would have used Thunderdrones from the git-go had I known, but when I called DJI they said it would be $65 for the evaluation fee to return my broken M2P, so I just said screw it, and paid them. Next time I'll use Thunderdrones for sure!... (hopefully NEVER have to ;))

Your BOSS ran it over! That can get awkward fast. Anyway, good luck and happy mistake free future flying.

100% agree, even though I'm at fault, the driver was being careless. Had that been anything else he could've been-in for a world of trouble.. Unfortunately it's my boss, so there's not much I can say or do. Just fortunate it didn't damage his car I suppose.
Still think he should fork over a portion of the bill, but not going to stir a mess. Staying quiet at work. I posted this mainly to share the DJI repair center bill, as I haven't seen any other M2P bills posted online. Plenty of them for the Mavic Pro.

Side note I just paid DJI for the repairs, and it has already shipped.
They certainly did not repair it, although I was told by the person on the phone I would receive the same S/N back.
I'm 100% certain I'll get a refurb unit back, I will update when it gets here next week.

I would have used Thunderdrones from the git-go had I known, but when I called DJI they said it would be $65 for the evaluation fee to return my broken M2P, so I just said screw it, and paid them. Next time I'll use Thunderdrones for sure!... (hopefully NEVER have to ;))

Your boss ran it over?! And I thought mine was odd for asking me to loan him $20 on my first day of work! Maybe it’s a good time to ask for a raise since you’re such a good employee and experienced some unexpected losses this month! ;)

So I was out flying around with my 4 day old Mavic 2 Pro and I landed in the parking lot of my work, exactly 25 seconds later as I was reviewing the flight video on my phone a Lexus pulls in and runs over my M2P. Seemingly on purpose by the video... I don't think it was on purpose though, anyhow it's 100% pilot error and not the Lexus driver. Video will come next..

Besides that, I want to get to my point.
BUY DJI CARE REFRESH
Check out this incredibly expensive repair bill. And no, they don't offer Student Discounts on service o_O

Rear Arm Module (Right)
Lower Cover Module
Downward Infrared Sensing System
Camera Module (Pro)
Net Price : 377.00
Total Price: 377.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Tax (Texas sales tax)
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
0.00 :oops::mad:
Total Payment (USD$)
641.52 :eek:

Has anyone else had to repair their drone without DJI Care Refresh?
Or am I the only person stupid enough to fly without?

Specifically how much was your M2P Camera Module?
I feel that I'm being ripped off here. I haven't paid yet because it seems excessive.
Please post your thoughts on my repair bill.

View attachment 65209View attachment 65210
Sorry about your loss. I almost had the same thing happen only I was landing when a car raced into the parking lot and almost got it in the windshield..... pure luck that it didnt.... made me a lot more aware or any POTENTIAL problem... bottom line..... I am shocked that there was anything salvagable... the car must have not run over it directly or it would be splinters... good luck.... DJI refresh is ONLY available in the USA.... most of us fly without it. I crashed my 1st Mavic and broke the gimbal. It would still fly but without the benefit of a camera... repair costs over $600...

You'll never get your Hot in a strange way, workaholics type, Boss into bed, if you call her out on breaking your Big Boy Toy, lol

Thankfully there was no damage at all to the Lexus!!
I would certainly be liable, as it's 100% aircraft operator error. No question there.

It's an expensive lesson to learn, but thankfully not near as expensive as it could have been!!
I felt I could operate the Mavic with precision, as I have 30+ hours in a Cessna 172, and had the DJI Tello's operation down very smoothly before getting the big boy.
Smooth operation can't fix stupid though!! :D

I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only person making mistakes! You close-encounter Hasselblad story makes my skin pale!! :eek:

I am never going to land again unless I'm standing right near the Mavic. And will invest in some traffic cones and a landing pad! Great tips.

-CJ

I have thousands of hours in aircraft you sit in and fly and was a flight instructor for years but none of that helps with flying a drone, so don't hold out too much hope with 30 hours in a 172. I'm still learning, so like all things, it is just practice and more practice. But move it to a safe place once it's on the ground, no matter how precise you fly.

I have thousands of hours in aircraft you sit in and fly and was a flight instructor for years but none of that helps with flying a drone, so don't hold out too much hope with 30 hours in a 172. I'm still learning, so like all things, it is just practice and more practice. But move it to a safe place once it's on the ground, no matter how precise you fly.

I guess it isn’t safe to park on a runway either, hu?

You are flying from inside your car???? doesnt the signal get blocked???

It was less than 30°F here in TX, not something we're used to down here ;)

That makes me feel much better. My flight instructor is a South West senior pilot and instructor. I've selectively failed to mention to him that I also have an interest in drones, he doesn't like them one bit. Nor does anyone else at the local that runway I've came across.. Good to know there's an experienced pilot out there who doesn't despise these marvels of technology. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13