DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4G Dongle Arrived

Awesome! I'm so jealous! Might have to move to NZ!
Hopefully it opens up for you guys soon. Did a very low flight yesterday while sitting in the house with no RC Signal and the feed was still good. This is a game changer

Reactions: Hauptmann and shb
Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
I done 10km with Mavic 3 and RC Pro but not with the 4G dongle, Mini 3 Pro I only went out to 8km but could have went further.
View attachment 159278

was the Mini 3 8km with the dongle?
I managed 7km so far with the Mini 3 Pro, started back at 65%, it was a fairly windy day so that drained it faster than it would have a calmer day.
Interested in the dongle for buildings etc not for range though but, thats not to say i wouldnt test it lol

was the Mini 3 8km with the dongle?
I managed 7km so far with the Mini 3 Pro, started back at 65%, it was a fairly windy day so that drained it faster than it would have a calmer day.
Interested in the dongle for buildings etc not for range though but, thats not to say i wouldnt test it lol
Nah, have not had the best opportunity to test the range yet with the dongle, we have cyclone hale hitting us at the moment so need to wait for this to pass

Hopefully it opens up for you guys soon. Did a very low flight yesterday while sitting in the house with no RC Signal and the feed was still good. This is a game changer
Absolutely! So many situations where 4G cellular would allow maintaining control where OS3+ LOS signals are blocked by intervening buildings in urban areas or trees in more rural areas. Flying from indoors without a roof antenna would be even cooler!

Absolutely! So many situations where 4G cellular would allow maintaining control where OS3+ LOS signals are blocked by intervening buildings in urban areas or trees in more rural areas. Flying from indoors without a roof antenna would be even cooler!
That's what I'm thinking. You can sit on the couch in your living room, with no worries about glare on you screen, and fly anywhere you want to, behind buildings, or right down to the ground. A real game changer!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That's what I'm thinking. You can sit on the couch in your living room, with no worries about glare on you screen, and fly anywhere you want to, behind buildings, or right down to the ground. A real game changer!
Cellular connectivity should be provided as a backup in case there are issues with the communication between the controller and the aircraft, that is obvious. However, almost all countries that have laws for UAVs only allow VLOS flights, which requires that the pilot always maintains visual contact with the aircraft. What you are describing is BVLOS, which is a special use case, with different requirements and definitely not what the Mavic line of drones is built for. This, together with the added dongle weight which is beyond EU C1 label limit (900 gr), could be a reason that DJI seems reluctant to enable 4G connectivity in various regions.

Last edited:
Sitting inside and flying or just flying around from inside the car without having to worry about signal loss is just amazing. I can't wait for the weather to clear to fly this properly.

Cellular connectivity should be provided as a backup in case there are issues with the communication between the controller and the aircraft, that is obvious. However, almost all countries that have laws for UAVs only allow VLOS flights, which requires that the pilot always maintains visual contact with the aircraft. What you are describing is BVLOS, which is a special use case, with different requirements and definitely not what the Mavic line of drones is built for. This, together with the added dongle weight which is beyond EU C1 label limit (900 gr), could be a reason that DJI seems reluctant to enable 4G connectivity in various regions.
That LOS rule is total bs. Anyone who has a good drone knows that. I'm never looking at my drone when flying, only my tablet.

This is the law, however, and we should all respect it. Otherwise we risk rules getting stricter.
Laws vary by jurisdiction, so it isn't "the law" everywhere in the world, and this is an international forum. This thread is about the functionality of the promised 4G dongle, not VLOS.

Of course I can't be sure for every country on earth, but VLOS for drones is the most common law requirement. And I wrote that cellular connectivity is designed to be provided as a backup control connection (at least for mavic 3) and it should be available for safety reasons. However, and that's my main argument here, we should all be very careful of what we are doing with our drones because there are already other people willing to establish stricter rules, restricted or no-fly zones, etc.

Of course I can't be sure for every country on earth, but VLOS for drones is the most common law requirement. And I wrote that cellular connectivity is designed to be provided as a backup control connection (at least for mavic 3) and it should be available for safety reasons. However, and that's more my main argument here, we should all be very careful of what we are doing with our drones because there are already other people willing to establish stricter rules, restricted or no-fly zones, etc.
Posting your "main argument" in this thread, which is about the 4G dongle and its functionality, is an off topic discussion, which is a violation of our community rules.

4. Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on-track.

15. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

I have been following this and other topics about the 4G dongle because I want to find out in which countries it can be used and if I can buy one, although we are limited by the drone weight here in Europe. I once even tried to understand in which LTE bands the dongle works so as to find out which networks are compatible with it since even this information was not known at the time. Having faced connection issues even in places that this was least expected, I think that cellular connectivity should be offered as a backup as it would greatly help mitigate interference problems.

However, using this additional option for controlling the drone should not be done at the expense of following local laws and that obviously should not be encouraged here in this forum.

I understand that this could be considered off topic, but I wrote my previous posts about this in relation to the cellular connectivity and I will not be continuing this discussion.

Nevertheless, this forum has moderators to judge whether this is off topic or not. This should not be done neither by you nor by me.

With the dongle in a rc pro in the USA will it work with a att Sim card? Anyone try it for internet access on the controller for maps ect.

With the dongle in a rc pro in the USA will it work with a att Sim card? Anyone try it for internet access on the controller for maps ect.
Do a search for 4G dongle. There's another member that did buy one for his RC Pro that works for him, and he's in the US. I forget which network worked for him

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi