DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4G Dongle Arrived

I've just ordered a Dongle (and mount) from Ali express, I have an RC-Pro and the (extremely vague) reports say that I'll need TWO 4G dongles because of the RC-Pro but I can't understand why I'd need a second 4G dongle for the RC-Pro if I can just connect it to a WiFi hotspot on my 5G phone or connect it to my home wifi. Has anyone with an RC Pro had any luck with just a single 4G dongle and a WiFi hotspot?

If no one's tried this, I'll report back to the group after I've tested it.

I've just ordered a Dongle (and mount) from Ali express, I have an RC-Pro and the (extremely vague) reports say that I'll need TWO 4G dongles because of the RC-Pro but I can't understand why I'd need a second 4G dongle for the RC-Pro if I can just connect it to a WiFi hotspot on my 5G phone or connect it to my home wifi. Has anyone with an RC Pro had any luck with just a single 4G dongle and a WiFi hotspot?

If no one's tried this, I'll report back to the group after I've tested
From my research on this 4G dongle, the receiving screen needs to have a 4G connection hence when using a mobile phone and RC-N1 the phone needs to be connected to 4G and not wifi, same with RC PRO, it needs to have a 4G connection and not be hot spotting or connected to wifi. In the RC PRO the 2nd dongle has a place to connect it at the back of the RC. So yes, you will need 2 dongles when using RC Pro

From my research on this 4G dongle, the receiving screen needs to have a 4G connection hence when using a mobile phone and RC-N1 the phone needs to be connected to 4G and not wifi, same with RC PRO, it needs to have a 4G connection and not be hot spotting or connected to wifi. In the RC PRO the 2nd dongle has a place to connect it at the back of the RC. So yes, you will need 2 dongles when using RC Pro
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Did you see any reason why DJI would arbitrarily limit the method users are connecting to the internet with their RC Pro or any users who had tried to connect with a hotspot but failed?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding impolite to you, it's not my intention, I'm just trying to understand the reason behind needing two seperate dongles and data plans when only one is needed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Did you see any reason why DJI would arbitrarily limit the method users are connecting to the internet with their RC Pro or any users who had tried to connect with a hotspot but failed?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding impolite to you, it's not my intention, I'm just trying to understand the reason behind needing two seperate dongles and data plans when only one is needed.
That would be because it uses 4G(LTE) network to connect each other and not wifi. Also it will be because this has to run via the Dji servers of which there will be an annual fee

Reactions: shb
That would be because it uses 4G(LTE) network to connect each other and not wifi. Also it will be because this has to run via the Dji servers of which there will be an annual fee
What you're saying makes no sense. 4G isn't a peer to peer technology, 4G devices aren't capable of communicating directly with each other, 4G is a spec used to connect to the internet. Everything else in this exchange happens there.

DJI may have coded their app to only allow the RC Pro to connect to a drone with a 4G dongle if it detects the presence of a 4G dongle inside as a way of selling more 4G dongles but can't see any other reason for a restriction.

You said your response was based on "your research" I don't suppose that you're actually just guessing?

What you're saying makes no sense. 4G isn't a peer to peer technology, 4G devices aren't capable of communicating directly with each other, 4G is a spec used to connect to the internet. Everything else in this exchange happens there.

DJI may have coded their app to only allow the RC Pro to connect to a drone with a 4G dongle if it detects the presence of a 4G dongle inside as a way of selling more 4G dongles but can't see any other reason for a restriction.

You said your response was based on "your research" I don't suppose that you're actually just guessing?
Well, you can try it and then come back here and let me know if you can get it going but this is what I have been told by a Dji Admin. I am nt asking you believe it, that's why I say you try and lets us know I am wrong.

Well, you can try it and then come back here and let me know if you can get it going but this is what I have been told by a Dji Admin. I am nt asking you believe it, that's why I say you try and lets us know I am wr

I'm not sure how long it will take to get delivered but I'll let you guys know as soon as it arrives.

Yes. this 4G will be a game changer to CE Countries, means no more FCC Hack
Not just CE Countries. Even in FCC land, the stronger FCC signal can't penetrate any obstructions like buildings, and depends upon continuous clear LOS, so adding 4G from above is a complete game changer! With waypoints now limited to being serially loaded, signal must be maintained throughout. It can't load the next waypoint, if the FCC signal is lost following the first waypoint! 4G for the win! Bring it on!

Reactions: Suren and Lasidora
Yes the sooner this is released outside of Mainland China for overseas regions the better, it was a very expensive upgrade purchase & needs enabling sooner rather than later, come on DJI deliver on your advertised features.

If no one's tried this, I'll report back to the group after I've tested it.

My 4G dongle arrived in Australia today and it looks like @Suren was correct!

I installed the dongle onto the drone and I'm unable to activate "Enhanced transmission" due to the RC-Pro not having a dongle installed, I see absolutely no technical reason why the RC-Pro needs a 4G dongle and can't just use a WiFi hotspot but either way, DJI has decided to add this limitation so everyone with an RC-Pro will need to buy two dongles and subscribe to two SIM cards.

Attachments

• IMG_4861.jpg
    IMG_4861.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Suren
My 4G dongle arrived in Australia today and it looks like @Suren was correct!

I installed the dongle onto the drone and I'm unable to activate "Enhanced transmission" due to the RC-Pro not having a dongle installed, I see absolutely no technical reason why the RC-Pro needs a 4G dongle and can't just use a WiFi hotspot but either way, DJI has decided to add this limitation so everyone with an RC-Pro will need to buy two dongles and subscribe to two SIM cards.
If you also have the RC-N1 controller (say from any other drone: MA2, A2S, Mini 2 or even the non-Cine M3 because you bought the RC-Pro separately), you can use the RC-N1 with any phone, and you will be able to use the Fly app to activate "Enhanced transmission" using the phone.

Reactions: Suren
If you also have the RC-N1 controller (say from any other drone: MA2, A2S, Mini 2 or even the non-Cine M3 because you bought the RC-Pro separately), you can use the RC-N1 with any phone, and you will be able to use the Fly app to activate "Enhanced transmission" using the phone.
I have the Mavic 3 Cine to Upgrade my Phantom 4 so I'm out of luck on the RC-N1 controller. Unless DJI remove the limitation, I'm going to need to order another dongle and SIM.

I have the Mavic 3 Cine to Upgrade my Phantom 4 so I'm out of luck on the RC-N1 controller. Unless DJI remove the limitation, I'm going to need to order another dongle and SIM.
In Aussie you can get away with 1 dongle if you have the RC-N1. I have a few friends that are using it that way.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALEXANDRE MARAN GREGOLIN