DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k Editing PC Laptop!

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello,

So I am new to world of editting (only used GoPro Splice app), but I have a lot of 4K Mavic footage! I'm doing this as a hobby only and am looking for a PC laptop that can edit 4k--I do NOT need top tier specs. I am also a noob when it comes to computer lanuage so it would be appreciated if you could explain things to me.

I plan to use Adobe Premiere just for cutting footage, color correcting, titles, music, transitions--I don't plan to do any intense graphics or effects.

I'm open to both 13" & 15" and my price limit is $2000--again I don't need the "best" laptop

I've been recommedend to look into HP XPS 15, Asus Zenbook, Razer Blade & Alien laptops

Thanks!

Reactions: sclm007
Hello,

So I am new to world of editting (only used GoPro Splice app), but I have a lot of 4K Mavic footage! I'm doing this as a hobby only and am looking for a PC laptop that can edit 4k--I do NOT need top tier specs. I am also a noob when it comes to computer lanuage so it would be appreciated if you could explain things to me.

I plan to use Adobe Premiere just for cutting footage, color correcting, titles, music, transitions--I don't plan to do any intense graphics or effects.

I'm open to both 13" & 15" and my price limit is $2000--again I don't need the "best" laptop

I've been recommedend to look into HP XPS 15, Asus Zenbook, Razer Blade & Alien laptops

Thanks!
Although I am a long time PC guy, when it comes to laptops, the very best out there is a Macbook Pro. You could better spend those 2 grant to a macbook that easily gives you 9 years of service (and you still can sell for 500 bucks after that), than spend it on any PC notebook. Trust me, the pushed windows updates will drive you mad over time. I'm totally fed up with Windows 10. I can rebuild my studio PC every month because some obscure security update overwrote my firewire and bluetooth drivers (which I need for my studio equipment). My Macbook Pro is from 2009 and still is my day to day notebook. I paid 1300 bucks for it and I can sell it for 450 still. I bet that for 2000$ you get a great Mac laptop suitable for the light editing jobs you describe. Probably not with a 4K screen. But hey, why not buy an LG 4K screen of 350$ and hook that up. They are pretty good and don't break the bank. But for editing you don't need 4K. You probably work from a proxy file of max 1080P anyhow, and render the original in the end to 4K.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Although I am a long time PC guy, when it comes to laptops, the very best out there is a Macbook Pro. You could better spend those 2 grant to a macbook that easily gives you 9 years of service (and you still can sell for 500 bucks after that), than spend it on any PC notebook. Trust me, the pushed windows updates will drive you mad over time. I'm totally fed up with Windows 10. I can rebuild my studio PC every month because some obscure security update overwrote my firewire and bluetooth drivers (which I need for my studio equipment). My Macbook Pro is from 2009 and still is my day to day notebook. I paid 1300 bucks for it and I can sell it for 450 still. I bet that for 2000$ you get a great Mac laptop suitable for the light editing jobs you describe. Probably not with a 4K screen. But hey, why not buy an LG 4K screen of 350$ and hook that up. They are pretty good and don't break the bank. But for editing you don't need 4K. You probably work from a proxy file of max 1080P anyhow, and render the original in the end to 4K.
+1

Hello,

Thanks!

Here is a link to help you make a data based decision. Enjoy...

Best Video Editing Laptops of 2018

Best Laptop Deals of 2018

Last edited:
Lenovo’s ThinkPad P70 was one of the first notebooks featuring Intel's Skylake processor, which should give it a boost in performance compared to Broadwell or Haswell chips.

Equipped with ample storage and plenty of RAM, an excellent keyboard and a wide selection of ports for connectivity, Lenovo is positioning the ThinkPad P70 as the ultimate workstation that you can take on the go without missing your desktop. As expected, it's a superbly designed piece of engineering, having inherited the legendary ThinkPad keyboard with the equally iconic red pointing stick, the TrackPoint.

Like the ZBook Studio G3, it is designed to pass MIL-STD 810G testing and comes with a three-year onsite warranty, but it does have a much bigger 17-inch screen. It is one of the more upgradable models here with four memory modules free plus the ability to have up to four storage drives. It is also the only laptop in this list to come with an LTE modem option, and has the largest battery at 96Whr

For $2000, you can get a best video editing 4K laptop like latest Dell XPS 15 9580, new XPS 13 with 10th gen. processor and New Razer Blade. But, for video editing, go with 15-inch laptop as bigger screen will help you there. So, from the options you are looking for, XPS 15 9580 will best match your needs.

Reference: Best Laptops For Video Editing by MyLaptopGuide

I do a ton of video editing in 4k w/premiere. Here's what I recommend.

CPU: Intel 8700k, avoid AMD you want solid single threaded speeds.
Memory: 32 GB PC 3200
Storage: 2 TB NVME SSD (RW speeds of 3500mbps, I have a Corsair)
Video Card: Nvidia card, GTX variant. 980 or above.

GL!

Hi

My 2 cent's all pc's can edit 4K with the right software ?

I would check out 4K editing software and there minimum specs for running, then purchase a
laptop to suit, always add on a bit to there specs to run?

Most video editing is not graphics but CPU power, memory and large harddrive " 4K vids are large! "

I have a HP Pavillion that is atleast 4 years old and can edit 4k with ease?

Hi

My 2 cent's all pc's can edit 4K with the right software ?

I would check out 4K editing software and there minimum specs for running, then purchase a
laptop to suit, always add on a bit to there specs to run?

Most video editing is not graphics but CPU power, memory and large harddrive " 4K vids are large! "

I have a HP Pavillion that is atleast 4 years old and can edit 4k with ease?
More important than CPU and drive size is the video processor and drive read/write speed. A dedicated high spec video card and SSD drive will give a significant improvement to performance.

Consider an iPad Pro also. Luma fusion is cheap and while it might seem limited along side some desktop solutions you can do a lot with it and it flies editing 4k.

The next iOS built specifically for iPad will allow you to connect external drives with USB C and other hardware also.

Nothing beats a custom PC.....
Im happy with a 2700X AMD Ryzen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James