DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

800' Radio Tower - Can I Legally Fly to the Top of It?

I've heard some interpretations of hobbyist vs non-hobbyist as whether or not you are taking photos/videos during flight. Can anyone confirm? I would think the majority of hobbyists are taking photos/videos unless they are racing.

I've heard some interpretations of hobbyist vs non-hobbyist as whether or not you are taking photos/videos during flight. Can anyone confirm? I would think the majority of hobbyists are taking photos/videos unless they are racing.

Difficult to answer without knowing which interpretations you are referring to.

It has nothing to do with taking photos or not. It's commercial vs hobby.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or diversion."

Reactions: mcascone
Are you making money OR is your work being used to promote a business or YouTube channel? If not you can take all the videos and pictures you want, for your own use, and will never have a problem.

UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or diversion."

That sounds delightful.

Pretty much what I thought. I had a conversation today with someone who said if you're taking pics/photos for any reason you need a license. Which I didn't think was true, and this thread confirms it. This person is a licensed commercial drone operator, too...

Are you making money OR is your work being used to promote a business or YouTube channel? If not you can take all the videos and pictures you want, for your own use, and will never have a problem.

The FAA has backed down from going after people who post on YouTube. They initially would send warning letters but then backed off this and stated that they were looking into changing the way they looked at this. To my knowledge they have never looked at anyone posting on YouTube since then. If they wanted to, they could easy see millions (millions) of people making money on YouTube from drone shots (well, as of total, the number is far less).

The FAA has backed down from going after people who post on YouTube. They initially would send warning letters but then backed off this and stated that they were looking into changing the way they looked at this. To my knowledge they have never looked at anyone posting on YouTube since then. If they wanted to, they could easy see millions (millions) of people making money on YouTube from drone shots (well, as of total, the number is far less).
That sounds even better yet. My point is that it is NOT illegal, or commercial, to take pictures from a drone any more as it is from the ground. The commercial part comes in with what you do with those pictures.

That sounds even better yet. My point is that it is NOT illegal, or commercial, to take pictures from a drone any more as it is from the ground. The commercial part comes in with what you do with those pictures.

Yes.

Also, while doing things like selling photos/video would be illegally, a person can also consider why the difference. Once a person flies as a business they are looked at as having a higher responsibility to the public and are held accountable to a higher degree. If you go over to a friends house to install some flooring and ge pays you a few bucks, one is going to come knocking on your door. Now, open a business and you are going to need to get a license so on and so forth. I see this as the same thing. Is the FAA really going to waste their time on someone who sells a photo or two for a few bucks? Probably not. Another part of this is if someone files a complaint with the FAA. Then they will probably investigate. Again, I'm not saying making a buck or two is illegal... I think it's just likely that you won't have any problem flying under the FAA radar (see what I did there).

Understanding the US 400' max. altitude, can I legally fly to the top of a local TV tower that is 800' tall to shoot a 360 panorama image? There sure won't be an airplanes anywhere near it? That could be an interesting shot.

If it's legal, does DJI limit my flight to only 400'?

Depends if your state has laws in regard to flying near critical or important structures as in infrastructure which cell towers and tv towers are apart of.

You can take videos and stills, unless you plan to make money from doing so. If you plan to make money, you have to qualify and fly under FAA part 107.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002