DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Account locked

Georgerom

Reactions
Hi guys. I found a Mavic 3 but the seller said "This drone is account locked" I don't know anything about these drones because they are new in the market. Please let me know if there is such a thing and if it is how you can unlock it. The drone it is not stolen or something like that. It is a trusted pawnshop. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I found a Mavic 3 but the seller said "This drone is account locked" I don't know anything about these drones because they are new in the market. Please let me know if there is such a thing and if it is how you can unlock it. The drone it is not stolen or something like that. It is a trusted pawnshop. Thank you for your input.
Im thinking the drone was found by someone , and that the account was locked by the original owner. . What you would need to do is contact DJI on the chat , give them the serial an ask them if you have any options available.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: rp6
Even trusted pawn shops can have stolen merchandise. You would need to contact DJI for more information. DJI can prevent registration of stolen drones.

Nope, unless the owner removes it from their account it's basically a worthless brick.

Reactions: SethB
Who the heck pawns a M3 for pennies on the dollar? Especially in this market where virtually all electronics are in such short supply there is almost always a buyer. I would bet anything it's stolen. If that were a legit M3 sale, the owner could have either returned it to the store they bought it from, or very easily sold it privately for probably 2-3 times what they got from a pawn shop. Makes no sense, especially if they could afford a ~$3K drone in the first place.

Please let me know if there is such a thing and if it is how you can unlock it. The drone it is not stolen or something like that. It is a trusted pawnshop.
Tell the pawnshop that they need to get the original owner to unlock it from his account.
If it's legitimate, they should have no problem arranging that.
If they can't ... walk away.

Who the heck pawns a M3 for pennies on the dollar? Especially in this market where virtually all electronics are in such short supply there is almost always a buyer. I would bet anything it's stolen. If that were a legit M3 sale, the owner could have either returned it to the store they bought it from, or very easily sold it privately for probably 2-3 times what they got from a pawn shop. Makes no sense, especially if they could afford a ~$3K drone in the first place.
More likely found than stolen.

I think most of us have our contact information on the drone. Just call the owner, if there is a contact. If not, I'm not sure what I would do.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! Hope you get things sorted out

Someone bought it already for $750. There was no controller and battery. I hesitate to buy it just because I didn't know if DJI will do something to unlock it. Was good to have it for parts but I don't want to feel guilty if was stolen.

If you find someone else's drone and pawn it, is that not the same as stealing it? In my mind it certainly is haha.
In Australia it's called "theft by finding"
If you find a valuable item, you must hand it in to the police.
If the item goes unclaimed for a period of time (months) then it will become yours.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
No way to hack it or unlock it. Don't waste your money because the drone serial number is locked to a Dji Fly account and not the RC and the Fly account details do not sit on the drone, it registers at Dji servers and they are the only ones that can unlock it but they won't because the original owner needs to go into his Fly app, device management and unbind the drone from his account - if that does not happen you are buying a drone that can be flown 5 times only before the servers lock it down and it can only be used for spares or a very expensive paper weight.

I wonder if there's any way to find out, if someone found the drone I lost in 2017? It was a mavic pro.

I wonder if there's any way to find out, if someone found the drone I lost in 2017? It was a mavic pro.
This account binding is relatively new. Certainly was not in existence in 2017. Back then, if you found or stole a drone, you could fly it with any controller you wanted, as many times as you wanted, after pairing it. Same with any person that bought said found or pawned or stolen drone from anyone else. Once activated, it was like cash.

Reactions: Meta4
This account binding is relatively new. Certainly was not in existence in 2017. Back then, if you found or stole a drone, you could fly it with any controller you wanted, as many times as you wanted, after pairing it. Same with any person that bought said found or pawned or stolen drone from anyone else. Once activated, it was like cash.
It's another problem of buying used vs refurbished. I bought a M3 open box (used) and it was linked to another account. Then, I bought a RC Pro and I could not bind the two together. It would let me fly a few flights then nothing. So, if you buy used and it's linked to someone else's account, it'll only work with the remote it came with. No way around it as it's a safety feature that started with the M3. Thankfully, I was able to send it back. Refurbished on the other hand will not be bound to another account. I bought one of those and the RC Pro binded to the drone no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
It's another problem of buying used vs refurbished. I bought a M3 open box (used) and it was linked to another account. Then, I bought a RC Pro and I could not bind the two together. It would let me fly a few flights then nothing. So, if you buy used and it's linked to someone else's account, it'll only work with the remote it came with. No way around it as it's a safety feature that started with the M3. Thankfully, I was able to send it back. Refurbished on the other hand will not be bound to another account. I bought one of those and the RC Pro binded to the drone no problem.
If you are buying from a private seller:
a) arrange to meet so they can demo it in flight
b) after agreement to purchase, have them unbind the drone from their account while you watch them do it.

Simple. If they won’t agree to this than it’s time to walk away.

I don’t think I’d buy a used drone online unless it was from a credible seller who guaranteed that the drone was unbound (unbinded?).

If none of this appeals to you then buy new or DJI refurbished. Nothing wrong with that, it is very worth the price to assure that you’re not buying a parts bundle you don’t need!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Please do not hijack this thread. You are welcome to start a new one of your own. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403