DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adelaide

I have a 2TB external hard drive that I transfer most footage and photos onto. Categorised into area/place taken and also date taken.
I have been using the Ext. HD for about 3 years and still have heaps of space left.
As to why I keep it - I don't have an answer other than it's handy to show friends/ relations an aerial view of places they are interested in.
It's also good to have some footage taken before they banned flying in National Parks

I think I'll keep raw footage for a while after I post and put into a different finished series of folders.
After a bit is gathered, I might put up some sort of page on FB or similar to share.
For now I am just starting to share pics on one Aussie FB page.

Yeah the CASA app is pretty good indicating the flying restrictions around and I do (to a certain extend) agree with their zoning but it's the local councils by-laws that irks me. It seems most councils have a blanket rule not to allow any kind of drone activity at all.... and City of Holfast Bay (for Seacliff and brighton) is one of them.

Just interested Dylan79 in finding out a bit more about the "council by laws" eg for holdfast Bay - do they ban drones everywhere in their council area or only in certain areas? I may have missed them but I haven't seen any signs up anywhere.
I know for SA National Parks they changed the Act to ban drones flying over Parks from 8/2016 unless you get specific approval.

Dylan, I've 'heard' this, but are there actually any signs around ?
Not sure how a councils draconian blanket ban is supposed to be known without some sort of signage.
I honestly haven't tried flying north of Hallett Cove yet, so just curious if anyone in ADL has seen such foreshore signage.
Obviously much of the central foreshore is a NFZ, a huge area between Somerton Pk and past Grange.

I'd have no qualms flying Brighton jetty very early one morning before anyone is about in numbers greater than a few.
Would love to fly it at sunset, but you'd have to go there an assess numbers of people, and make a judgement call on safe flying.
30m from people is laterally, so no good just going up to that height.

Auspete, you can fly over Nat Pks, just have to launch and land outside their boundaries, and not interfere with other visitors or wildlife (ie fly high and unobtrusive).

Mavic_south_oz
All interesting stuff.
Regulation 12(3) of the NP & Wildlife Regs was changed on 1/9/16 to prohibit flying of drones "over" any National Park in SA. There is a $75 expiation notice (+$60 victim of crimes levy) if you get caught.
I know there has been debate about their authority to regulate airspace "over" NP but when I wrote to them they said they do have the authority.
I guess you are saying if you fly high enough no one will know you are there.
Before 9/16 I was challenged many times by "the friends of the Hallett Cove conservation park" and I know they were one of the groups to make representations to the Govt. to ban drones and model gliders from the cliffs in the park.
Do you know of anyone who has challenged their authority yet?

Hi all I’m also from Adelaide. My son had a phantom 3 4 k which we sold mid this year for the Mavic.We have flown over Yorke peninsula and the Barossa valley lookout was great ! We are heading over to Hawaii next week and definitely taking it with us.

Dylan79 . . . 2.21.2 fly any model aircraft or operate any power model boat from or on any local government land; . . . pretty much covers drones, you could launch from non council land and fly over a park though.
I'd fly from a safe place where I could keep LOS of the drone, don't think you'd have any issues.

If a council person approached me, I'd advise I'm flying legally to CASA regs, airspace is their area of responsibility.
I wouldn't go buzzing around their parks if people / animals etc were about.
Don't imagine you'd have any problems, but if you were on council responsible land, it might pay to say, oops sorry, I'll move on.

I'll go check Onka councils bylaws, BRB.

Hi all I’m also from Adelaide. My son had a phantom 3 4 k which we sold mid this year for the Mavic.We have flown over Yorke peninsula and the Barossa valley lookout was great ! We are heading over to Hawaii next week and definitely taking it with us.

Enjoy, have seen awesome footage here of Hawaii recently, did you catch those too ?

Mavic_south_oz
All interesting stuff.
Regulation 12(3) of the NP & Wildlife Regs was changed on 1/9/16 to prohibit flying of drones "over" any National Park in SA. There is a $75 expiation notice (+$60 victim of crimes levy) if you get caught.
I know there has been debate about their authority to regulate airspace "over" NP but when I wrote to them they said they do have the authority.
I guess you are saying if you fly high enough no one will know you are there.
Before 9/16 I was challenged many times by "the friends of the Hallett Cove conservation park" and I know they were one of the groups to make representations to the Govt. to ban drones and model gliders from the cliffs in the park.
Do you know of anyone who has challenged their authority yet?

Hmm, these councils and parks people sure make a lot of rules . . . reading the council ones, they might as well just say "You can't do anything in our region, period".

I've only flown at HCCP twice now, here's a copy of the map I have with me showing the park and the pathway . . .

HCCP.jpg

Ok, Onka council has almost word for word the Holdfast Bay format for much of it.

http://onkaparingacity.com/public/download.jsp?id=77332

9.23. Model Aircraft, Boats and Cars Subject to the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (Cth): 9.23.1 fly or operate a model or drone aircraft, boat or model or remote control car in a manner which may cause or be likely to cause injury or discomfort to a person being on or in the vicinity of the land or detract from or be likely to detract from another person's lawful use of and enjoyment of the land; or 9.23.2 fly or operate a model or drone aircraft, boat or model or remote control car on any Local Government land to which the Council has resolved this subclause applies.

I read that as . . . you can fly if you don't mess up someone else's day, and if the council hasn't decreed a place you can't fly a drone.

They also have a special foreshore bylaws pdf, but this doesn't mention drones or models of any sort anywhere . . .
http://onkaparingacity.com/custom/files/docs/bylaw_no6_foreshore.pdf

Only 9.1.1 might apply to drones or other such . . . No person shall on the Foreshore: 9.1 . Annoyances - Unless authorised by the Council, conduct himself or herself: 9.1.1 in such a manner that may annoy or endanger others;

So you can only annoy others if you have been authourised by council to do so :D

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
MAvic_South_Oz, Auspete

So it does read to me like Onkaparinga council is ok with drones as long as it doesn't get in anyone's way. That's good! At least better that holfast bay's, which sounds like a strict NO.
Tempted to try Hallet Cove and Sigma Rd next to the Desal plant as Auspete suggested.

Thanks for the council info.
At least it's not a total ban. I guess if we don't fly near people or over their property & comply with CASA we're ok. (Unless some council inspector/ ranger wants to play policeman[emoji23][emoji23])
Lucky they haven't just invented cars - they'd be banned for sure[emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
Yep, reading those council rules makes you cringe a little, kites with 2 control strings, model boat on a lake, just seems so draconian.

If the wind drops Dylan, I'd be up for a run down there, but look like some weather coming in for a few days.

Maybe next week, a quick look.

Down at Sigma Rd early this morning. Flies were pretty bad though!!!!!
6df47a7703d8a883ddd301b8d0c3d059.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2864.JPG
    IMG_2864.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 21
Got off work early for a bit of flying. Dang, flying over water for the first time was a bit daunting.
DJI_0141-2.jpg DJI_0154-HDR.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0001-Pano-2-2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: monchan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member