DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advise on phone purchase

MariaEvri

Reactions
Hello all. I;ve had my Mavic for more than half a year but I don;t get to fly very often so I consider myself a beginner.
I am using a Samsung S4 but the app. is extremely lagging. I was told that it's my phone's fault (and I agree since it is kinda sluggish on its own)
Anyway I want suggestions on what phone to buy (if possible android, but if necessary I will buy an iphone). A cheap-ish one pls, I'm not made of money
I am aware that there is a list of suggested phones but I don;t trust it.

p.s. I might be able to get my hands on an Iphone 5s. Will that work?
Thanks!

You can find a list of phones DJI recommends and what members of this website (and PhantomPilots.com) are using here.

Yes.

Yes.
thanks. If you say that works I'll go with that. If anything goes wrong I'll be back :)

It's not the best available Apple phone, but it's still compatible with DJI GO.

It's alright. I;m not looking for "best available" since that usually means big money. I just want something that will work fine and won;t take 5 minutes to take a photo

thanks. If you say that works I'll go with that. If anything goes wrong I'll be back :)

You may find the screen on that phone impossibly small. If you want to stay on Apple, you can get a decent deal on an iPhone 6+ or 6S+ which will give you a much bigger screen to work with - though many find those screens too small as well, depending on your eyesight.

hehe the point is I really DON;T want to go to apple at all but that's what I was suggested. The reason I oposted iphone 5 is because I found a cheap used one.

hehe the point is I really DON;T want to go to apple at all but that's what I was suggested. The reason I oposted iphone 5 is because I found a cheap used one.
Spending too little could be worse than spending too much, in this case.
I have read the 5 is too slow
I have a 6 and will be upgrading soon.
You might be better off with a mini 4, which I also have and find very good.

You might put at risk (or at least not get the full use of) your $1000 Mavic in order to save $100 or $200.

Don't waste money things you don't need (skins and landing gear, etc) but do use it on a better phone.

You could save a few bucks if you buy a used/refurbished device too. That would be better than buying the cheapest device available.

I'm happy with my Chinese phone for mavic, £90 $119 works perfectly, got 3 versions of go 4 on it, pilot app and litchi

I use the le s3 x626, 4gb ram, 10 core CPU

Screenshot_20170927-193459.jpg

There was another one that several others use I'll do a search for what it was

Last edited:
If you want to stay with Android, get a cheap second hand Galaxy S5 and dedicate it just to your Mavic. Its rated for Go4 and if you enable developer options and USB debugging then its a great Bright 5.5 inch screen thats super fast. Ive never had a disconect and no lag.
Oh and put in a 32gb SF card and in GO4 settings change cache to SD card then all pics and vid will store to SD card and not fill memory of phone.

Wow....I just went through this being new to Mavic Pro for a couple of weeks. I started on a Galaxy S5 which worked but being older and having glasses, I did not care for the size of the screen. Then I had Samsung Tab A that just was to laggy. Next I got a ipad mini 4, this works the best with a sun screen. Next I want to try to use a pair of VR goggles Homido v2......the samsung s5 didnt work to good, I tried my wifes iphone 6 and it work pretty good, no lag and picture was decent. Although I like the Android OS, I ended up upgrading my phone s5 to a iphone 8 plus and all is good.....nice size screen, works with VR goggles, and Apple IOS seems to have less problems then the Android version from my experience over the two plus weeks I have been flying my mavic. What I would recommend is the Ipad Mini 3 or 4, Iphone 6 or 7 plus. And to be fair I have not used anything more powerful than a Galaxy s5.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61