DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AEB and exposure range vs manual

gnirtS

Reactions
Ive been doing some testing on this lately and am wondering if ive come across a bug or limitation.

Using the AEB mode on DJI Go 4 (Android) there appears to be no way to select the exposure range for the shots. The app seems to do this automatically using some sort of algorithm. Due to the odd ISO changes it uses i haven't been able to work it out yet.

What i have found however is it never seems to use enough of a range to fully encompass the lightest and darkest parts of the scene (it seems to almost use 1/2 or 2/3 of a stop at most between photos).
When i merge them to HDR in LR, Photoshop, Photomatic or manually layer blend in PS i end up with burnt out highlights (especially sun etc) and halo effects as a result.
Taking the identical scene manually adjusting the EV for more of a range results in images which will blend together properly with no burnt out highlights or overly noisy shadows.

Im testing this using DNG, 5 shot AEB on a standard high dynamic range shot of a sunset with dark foreground.
Manually using 5 shots spaced 1EV apart works fine, automatically using AEB 3 or 5 shot results in nowhere near enough range selected to hold all the detail.

Can anyone else replicate this? Im trying to see if its a limitation of DJI Go on all platforms, an android only app problem or something else?

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Ah old thread but was long since answered. AEB defaults to a 0.66 ev difference between shots and cannot be altered. Its not "intelligent" in picking the ranges to make sure the whole scene is correctly exposed somewhere.

The upshot of that is, for some scenes you need to take several shots manually and cant use AEB.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Ah old thread but was long since answered. AEB defaults to a 0.66 ev difference between shots and cannot be altered. Its not "intelligent" in picking the ranges to make sure the whole scene is correctly exposed somewhere.

The upshot of that is, for some scenes you need to take several shots manually and cant use AEB.

Gotcha. I didn’t notice the date of post. Glad you figured it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007