DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Video Loss - Can someone look at my flight logs please?

pommy

Reactions
Hi all,

I had a really scary situation where the drone lost it’s video transmission completely. It was out to sea, no obstacles at only 250-300m away from me (but high 120m so couldn’t see it for the sun).

Just before it lost signal, it said return to home, but it never did, it just disconnected and sat out there.

I was gutted and thought I’d lost it for sure. The only thing showing was the small circle in the bottom of the fly app showing the direction. I tried to fly back but it was limited to 0.1 m/s. I thought the battery wouldn’t make it - so I put it into sport mode and it went a bit faster.

Once I could see it over the water, I navigated it back to me as quick as I could to the grass. Upon landing (slow decent) it just dropped onto the grass (without saying “Landing” and slowly landing gently as usual). So the grass broke it's fall essentially.

I had to pull the battery and put another to get video back. The drone should have a much better range than 300m with no obstacles, 23 satellites and the new "O3" :(

(I removed the flight log as I wasn't aware it contained my name, drone serial number mobile phone number etc).

Last edited:
The Air 2S can be set to three things after a signal loss: Return t Home, Descend, or Hover. Maybe yours was set for hover?

in DJI FLY: Settings | Safety | Advanced Safety Settings | Signal Lost

Reactions: pommy
Thanks for the reply MS - it was definitely set RTH ☹️. I always check settings with this drone as it forgets things (such as the phone charge setting, bypass setting, auto white balance - they all seem to reset themselves each flight or between battery swap outs).

…good info though ??????

SO I looked at the logs, and it says it was "backing up"? It was 120m high and 300m out to sea. Zero obstacles?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 11.51.10.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 11.51.10.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 8
Are you on Fly v1.4.8? Hearing a lot of similar issues lately for this update of the app.
Yep, I’m on version 1.4.8(477) - you’ve heard others have this?

I could really do with an expert to look at the flight logs and see what happened. I can see the basics, but I need more in-depth info about the backing away (from nothing) and why the RTH says it was cancelled twice, but it wasn’t ??‍♂️

Reactions: Yaros
Oh, I was talking about the Android version of the app (v1.4.8-210701-1120-48346). I think you are on iOS. Search '51drones' on Youtube and he uploaded a video of an incident where he lost his A2S recently while flying over water.

About the flight log, there are some experienced and helpful guys here who know about flight logs really well. You might have to upload post your log here or upload to some website that they recommend you to. Like this - phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ or Airdata UAV.

Thanks for the reply MS - it was definitely set RTH ☹️. I always check settings with this drone as it forgets things (such as the phone charge setting, bypass setting, auto white balance - they all seem to reset themselves each flight or between battery swap outs).

…good info though ??????
wow thats not right my settings never change between battery swap outs ,i would reflash the firmware for starters,...

Oh, I was talking about the Android version of the app (v1.4.8-210701-1120-48346). I think you are on iOS. Search '51drones' on Youtube and he uploaded a video of an incident where he lost his A2S recently while flying over water.

About the flight log, there are some experienced and helpful guys here who know about flight logs really well. You might have to upload post your log here or upload to some website that they recommend you to. Like this - phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ or Airdata UAV.

SO I looked at the logs, and it says it was "backing up"? It was 120m high and 300m out to sea. Zero obstacles?

Was it possible the drone was facing a bright sun ?
This is often picked up as an obstacle, and the only way to overcome this is to fly it home, sometimes sideways or backwards or at an angle to avoid sensors picking up the sun.

You also could have descended, as it may have had a lot more wind at 120m (400'), over the ocean, I set my RTH height very low, like if flying from the shore 10m - 15m, depending on wind and waves.
If flying from a higher cliff line, I tend to leave about same in case I want to arc over the cliff tops, all depends on a quick look around pre flight.
The drone should have a much better range than 300m

It could have been the 120m altitude at 250m or so out that casued video loss, the antenna are sort of contained in the top bar of the device clip, so these need to be facing the drone, thought Occusync 2 would have thought you could fly that distance facing the other way !!
I know with my M1P old Occusync I never really have to worry about that side of flight, generally within 400m / 500m or so.

Glad to hear you got the bird back anyway . . . pity you can't get the flight log up, as it should reveal the flight problems a lot better.

Was it possible the drone was facing a bright sun ?
This is often picked up as an obstacle, and the only way to overcome this is to fly it home, sometimes sideways or backwards or at an angle to avoid sensors picking up the sun.

You also could have descended, as it may have had a lot more wind at 120m (400'), over the ocean, I set my RTH height very low, like if flying from the shore 10m - 15m, depending on wind and waves.
If flying from a higher cliff line, I tend to leave about same in case I want to arc over the cliff tops, all depends on a quick look around pre flight.

It could have been the 120m altitude at 250m or so out that casued video loss, the antenna are sort of contained in the top bar of the device clip, so these need to be facing the drone, thought Occusync 2 would have thought you could fly that distance facing the other way !!
I know with my M1P old Occusync I never really have to worry about that side of flight, generally within 400m / 500m or so.

Glad to hear you got the bird back anyway . . . pity you can't get the flight log up, as it should reveal the flight problems a lot better.
Thanks for the reply! Being a new user, my mailbox is putting half of the emails from here into junk for some reason.

There was minimal wind, sun was behind the drone. Drone was facing me with no obstacles between me and it.

I do have the flight logs and I'm happy to share them with someone who knows how to interpret them deeper than the lay-person :)

Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I do have the flight logs and I'm happy to share them with someone who knows how to interpret them deeper than the lay-person :)

Usually that sort of thing is posted in the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance section, but probably best to post the flight log here, as the preamble may help.

If one of the flight analysis folk don't happen by, I'll tag a few.

It should give you the info you seek.

Thanks for the reply! Being a new user, my mailbox is putting half of the emails from here into junk for some reason.

There was minimal wind, sun was behind the drone. Drone was facing me with no obstacles between me and it.

Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Rather than relying on emails about responses, you can log into the forum and click the envelope icon at the top right corner to see all the relevant posts regarding posts you've made or commented on.

Rather than relying on emails about responses, you can log into the forum and click the envelope icon at the top right corner to see all the relevant posts regarding posts you've made or commented on.

Actually the notifications tab, the alarm bell icon.
The envelope icon is PMs (conversations).

Good idea, saves a lot of inbox clutter, turned off email notifications soon after joining up.

I do have the flight logs and I'm happy to share them with someone who knows how to interpret them deeper than the lay-person
You are going to have to post the flight data if you want someone to look at them for you.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

You are going to have to post the flight data if you want someone to look at them for you.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
Great! Can you help? I have the link if you can ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair