DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Video Loss - Can someone look at my flight logs please?

Hi all,

I had a really scary situation where the drone lost it’s video transmission completely. It was out to sea, no obstacles at only 250-300m away from me (but high 120m so couldn’t see it for the sun).

Just before it lost signal, it said return to home, but it never did, it just disconnected and sat out there.
You flew around in Sport Mode for most of the flight.
But whenever you changed to Normal Mode, the data always shows Detour Mode almost immediately and the speed slows.
This is because Obstacle Avoidance is slowing the drone to avoid hitting something it perceives as an obstacle.
As it was over the ocean and happens when the drone was heading a range of different directions, and went back to normal whenever you engaged Sport Mode, it looks like a problem with the OA sensors giving a false indication of an obstacle.

You should try to clean the OA sensors and recalibrate them.
Do some test flying in Normal Mode to see if that's fixed things for you.

The data doesn't show why you lost video, but you never last the control signal and the app was able to record data for the whole flight.
If you ever do lose vision and aren't sure how to bring the drone back, you can always just switch off the controller which will initiate RTH on loss of signal.

That would have been a problem in this incident as OA would have slowed things too much.
If you are flying over the ocean, you can always turn off OA and OA during RTH.

Reactions: pommy
You flew around in Sport Mode for most of the flight.
But whenever you changed to Normal Mode, the data always shows Detour Mode almost immediately and the speed slows.
This is because Obstacle Avoidance is slowing the drone to avoid hitting something it perceives as an obstacle.
As it was over the ocean and happens when the drone was heading a range of different directions, and went back to normal whenever you engaged Sport Mode, it looks like a problem with the OA sensors giving a false indication of an obstacle.

You should try to clean the OA sensors and recalibrate them.
Do some test flying in Normal Mode to see if that's fixed things for you.

The data doesn't show why you lost video, but you never last the control signal and the app was able to record data for the whole flight.
If you ever do lose vision and aren't sure how to bring the drone back, you can always just switch off the controller which will initiate RTH on loss of signal.

That would have been a problem in this incident as OA would have slowed things too much.
If you are flying over the ocean, you can always turn off OA and OA during RTH.
First up, thank you very much for taking the time out to help me. It seems you read it as it happened mostly.

I do fly in S most of the time and switch to N when taking photos for more precise framing of the shot. At 13.5mins (I think) it was in N for a good while and then the video signal just stopped. The logs say "backing up", but there wasn't a thing around for miles, literally nothing. I found that odd. (The sensors are spotless - this drone sleeps next to my bed ha ha)

It also says RTH was activated/deactivated twice and that didn't happen as there was no screen for me to see this, it was just black. Unless I panicked and pressed the RTH on the controller as it was trying to RTH automatically? Maybe.

Finally, the fact that it was restricted to 0.1M/s is puzzling me too - any ideas with why that would happen?

Thanks again mate!

UPDATE - oh, I think after re-reading I understand more, sorry!

OA does not like direct sunlight. Is it possible you where heading into the sun when you switch to N mode? The front of the drone will change angle and perhaps got more of the sun into the sensors making them act funny. This of course would not affect video.

Nope. I had the back of the drone at the sun at all times. I came around a headland “looking” at it as I curved around it. Stopping at the mid-point to take a picture - the sun was alway behind though. Thanks for the help!

Finally, the fact that it was restricted to 0.1M/s is puzzling me too - any ideas with why that would happen?
That's Obstacle Avoidance trying to detour for a perceived obstacle.
Since it happened facing in different directions, it's clear that it wasn't the sun (which is the usual cause) so I recommended recalibrating the OA sensors as they are giving a false indication of an obstacle whenever you switch back to Normal Mode.

I’ll give that a go, thank you ?

Excuse my art “skills” but the attached pic shows the curve I took and the sun is behind (not for you, the other poster)

Attachments

• 2F51E232-2800-46D1-84C5-2A78E4798DFF.jpeg
    2F51E232-2800-46D1-84C5-2A78E4798DFF.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Prismatic
Ok, so I checked this :

"You should try to clean the OA sensors" - all good.

and then I took it out for:

"some test flying in Normal Mode to see if that's fixed things for you" - not so good.

In an open space, in N mode - I circled/flew around a bit (at 5 metres height) and then came to a stop. Right away the drone went UP about 1 metre by itself? So I went higher to about 15 metres and did the same thing - came to a stop and the drone dropped DOWN about 1 metre?

Next, I took it up vertically quite high and came down vertically too. After letting go of the controls about 5 metres from the floor it carried on for about 1-2 metres.

I'm a bit concerned about this to be honest, I can't trust N mode, but I'd like the sensors for my close shots etc.

I had to fly in S mode to get the shots I wanted today as the drone would dip and rise in N mode all by itself just while hovering. Plus some left to right drift.

From a distance, it looked like it was avoiding a bird that wasn't there, that's the best way to describe the random movements - bobbing and weaving?!?

So do I download Assist and refresh the firmware or try to recalibrate?

I mentioned recalibrating the sensors (twice) because that's what you need to do, then test fly.
Messing around with for.wsre won't do anything to solve the issue.

Ok, so I checked this :

"You should try to clean the OA sensors" - all good.

and then I took it out for:

"some test flying in Normal Mode to see if that's fixed things for you" - not so good.

In an open space, in N mode - I circled/flew around a bit (at 5 metres height) and then came to a stop. Right away the drone went UP about 1 metre by itself? So I went higher to about 15 metres and did the same thing - came to a stop and the drone dropped DOWN about 1 metre?

Next, I took it up vertically quite high and came down vertically too. After letting go of the controls about 5 metres from the floor it carried on for about 1-2 metres.

I'm a bit concerned about this to be honest, I can't trust N mode, but I'd like the sensors for my close shots etc.

I had to fly in S mode to get the shots I wanted today as the drone would dip and rise in N mode all by itself just while hovering. Plus some left to right drift.

From a distance, it looked like it was avoiding a bird that wasn't there, that's the best way to describe the random movements - bobbing and weaving?!?

Tough to call best avenue to explore.
It sounds a bit rogue to me, something DJI should take a look at, or if it's really new take back to retailer for refund / exchange ?

That said, it might be an idea to at least try the sensor calibration first.
If no luck there, a complete update on the firmware and the app, recalibrate whatever you can find just to be sure all that is ok.
Be sure if it comes to calibrate compass time, do this outside on a grass surface with no metal around.

If none of this helps, DJI or retailer would be my next step.

Thanks guys. I recalibrated the compass and IMU, my misunderstanding, sorry. I realise that you meant I have to get the Assist and run through the awful facing sensors to the screen "thing" I once did with my original Air :(

I was kinda asking if the fresh firmware (which is what DJI said to do) would calibrate the sensors, or will it need doing regardless?

Sorry again...

I was kinda asking if the fresh firmware (which is what DJI said to do) would calibrate the sensors, or will it need doing regardless?
The issue has nothing to do with firmware and everything to do with the sensors giving a false indication.
Recalibrating the sensors is what's needed to address the issue.
DJI's "help" people are often useless and will suggest reloading firmware for everything.

And there was no need to recalibrate the compass or IMU.

Thanks mate. I refreshed the firmware and then recalibrated all the sensors after that - sure it can't hurt :)

Cheers!

I'll post back after next flight...

Is it now sorted
I haven’t lost signal since. So that’s good.

The ups and downs are still there when I have the sensors on and try to fly lower than 5 metres.

So, flying straight across an open field for example - I get as low as I can, let go and it goes back up to a height of 5 ish metres.

(Turning off BYPASS and putting it into BRAKE mode or putting it into S mode stops this behaviour).

With the OA in BYPASS, if there is a shadow on the grass, the drone goes up and over it as if it was a hill.

I haven’t lost signal since. So that’s good.

The ups and downs are still there when I have the sensors on and try to fly lower than 5 metres.

So, flying straight across an open field for example - I get as low as I can, let go and it goes back up to a height of 5 ish metres.

(Turning off BYPASS and putting it into BRAKE mode or putting it into S mode stops this behaviour).

With the OA in BYPASS, if there is a shadow on the grass, the drone goes up and over it as if it was a hill.
Cheers mate for the reply. I think I would put it into brake mode and leave it there . Not sure what my air 2 (not s) is set to I will have to check but I have had no problems. Thanks again

I have two mavic air ones and both flew well but now they both loose video link as close as ten metres away.
This happens in previous places where there was no problem and new places as well. Any clues ?

I have two mavic air ones and both flew well but now they both loose video link as close as ten metres away.
This happens in previous places where there was no problem and new places as well. Any clues ?
If you use the same controller for both drones, I’d say it was the controller as it’s not likely both drones have failed.

Otherwise ?

I use two different controllers and the only difference now between having them fly well is fitting them with carbon fibre propellers. Before these props where fitted I could fly over six hundred metres away but now will lose video even at ten metres. .?????

I use two different controllers and the only difference now between having them fly well is fitting them with carbon fibre propellers. Before these props where fitted I could fly over six hundred metres away but now will lose video even at ten metres. .?????
It’s clearly not the props, just a coincidence. (Obviously you could just take them off to eliminate that).

With the Mavic Air you are using enhanced wifi - do you know if you are CE or FCC (country?)

If you are CE - get it GPS hacked to FCC and try that.

If you’re already FCC - maybe someone else can shed some light on what may be the issue?

Seems odd that both drones are suffering the same thing in different locations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S