DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft side amplification of the TX/RX Stock antenna

Texas Mavic

Reactions
BDFAF9EE-2D5E-4F45-85E0-F269DBE9B06F.jpeg0F4BAA72-03D5-44F1-8BAC-C9628E2D32CC.jpegJust got her put back together. Birdside amp mod. Just need to properly mount the amp power source. Probably hook and loop tape. Also I need to use an adhesive to make sure the open cable from the Mavic antenna that is coming out from under the left arm, is impossible to accidentally un attach itself. maybe add on on/off switch. I came out of the TX/RX radio port, and ran that through the back led plastic cover is and put white silicone to fill the hole. Amp is the 2.4ghz cheap amazon amp that is run off of 3.7-5 v. I currently have a 2000mah battery for it. We will see how this goes. I did this from research on this forum.
Any suggestions, advice or anything constructive will be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow pilots and Happy Modding!!
3788EECF-DD53-462D-A267-21120C4D7608.jpeg1F2A7FEB-3C94-4C01-8122-B774C151AB7F.jpeg323F6041-BE4D-4938-AC58-38B1FD56295F.jpeg80B5FE79-71F2-4FB4-ACFD-E2DDBCF94FE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Now thats a mod!
Studying the masters!!! Gotta give credit to the forum and its members past and present brother!! I just hope I can keep it powered for long range. I don’t have fancy equipment to measure current draw, just a soldering iron and a multimeter lol. Didn’t see this amp tested so hopefully it cuts it.

Looks good. I'm curious to see how she performs. My range hasn't been nearly as good now that the trees and everything are back in the North West. I'll keep checling back here for updates.

Jeff

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Looks good. I'm curious to see how she performs. My range hasn't been nearly as good now that the trees and everything are back in the North West. I'll keep checling back here for updates.

Jeff
I really didn’t have an HD signal issue, but the mod looked easy enough and I was bored. Might take awhile before I can range test, I certainly don’t want to risk shooting off for 40K just yet. If there is an issue the bird will be gone.

@Thunderdrones wow, again another thread I post that gets no views. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I added tags thinking that might help. I really am beginning to wonder if I’m being censored or something. I am about to quit posting. Makes no sense to me. Someone can make a thread about taking pictures of ducks in the winter and get get more views to their threads. Are there forum moderators that might be able to tell me what’s going on, or are my posts that ridiculous that nobody cares? When I first got on I would get immediate responses and views on the most simplistic stuff... now if I don’t tag someone in it, it doesn’t get seen.

The problem is that modding is very specific with Mavics, its more popular on the racing forum, where mods are required. Your run-of-the-mill Mavic owner just buys and flies, not much more except for some accessories.

The problem is that modding is very specific with Mavics, its more popular on the racing forum, where mods are required. Your run-of-the-mill Mavic owner just buys and flies, not much more except for some accessories.
That makes sense. I realize that modding M1’s is an old hat topic now. Oh well... thanks brother I sincerely appreciate all your help and encouragement.

Reactions: Jeffm912
That makes sense. I realize that modding M1’s is an old hat topic now. Oh well... thanks brother I sincerely appreciate all your help and encouragement.

Yes its an old topic, but still, there are so very few modding pioneers out there, and the list gets shorter every year. Digdat is out, Beanbubba has passed away, and need some new people.

Yes its an old topic, but still, there are so very few modding pioneers out there, and the list gets shorter every year. Digdat is out, Beanbubba has passed away, and need some new people.

Well it’s all been done, very hard to improve on what’s been extensively tested. Right when I think I have something new idea wise..... beanbubba did it already. And incredibly well. Really next level stuff.

Jeff
Where you at in NW? How far do you have to drive to get to open land?

Where you at in NW? How far do you have to drive to get to open land?

Montana. I'm good on open space but am situated on the side of a mountain with 3 other mountains surrounding me. Since all the foliage returned flying 25k feet from my back porch has dwindled to around 12-15k, then I'm headed back.

Jeff

After flying with the 2W amp, zero problems whatsoever. My hypothesis is unless you are in an area where you are getting HD transmission issues this mod is just adding weight. I will still do a range test, but haven’t needed HD boost for flights up to 30K+. What might be beneficial, having studied the AC Amp mod thread, is a higher gain, properly placed tx/rx side antenna. Just got the 12-5v Buck for the 2watt amp about 10 minutes ago, but after adding XT60’s(using battery clip for powe routing) the weight of an extra battery to power the 2 watt birdside is about the same weight..actually unless I wire the 5V buck into the Mavic, the connectors and what not... is all about the same.
Boost HD as you will/must....the battery mod is still the mod to conquer.
Going with dual Protek Graphene 4100’s.

@TexasFlytography nice work dude, how does the AC handle the extra weight? I'm in the process of trying similar (battery mod) with the Mavic air?
Thanks!!! The amp is so light it doesn’t seem to know it’s there.
Handles great!!! A little extra weight seems to help with handling, except for higher side winds, and I won’t fly with sideboard batteries in crosswinds.

Reactions: Robpol
What's the consensus for the best battery position when modding, saddle bagging two smaller battery's or transversely or longitudinally mounting one large capacity one?

What's the consensus for the best battery position when modding, saddle bagging two smaller battery's or transversely or longitudinally mounting one large capacity one?
I prefer sideboard mounted, top mounted more often than not gives GPS errors, some folks do a bottom mount, I haven’t seen it much. I’d try bottom mounted but I’d make sure to give some breathing room for the bottom heat plate.

Reactions: Robpol
I prefer sideboard mounted, top mounted more often than not gives GPS errors, some folks do a bottom mount, I haven’t seen it much. I’d try bottom mounted but I’d make sure to give some breathing room for the bottom heat plate.
I was thinking similar and going to mount on the bottom transversely..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78