DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft side amplification of the TX/RX Stock antenna

I that still the case if I use it in non dji battery mode?
Well I am just not sure what the 2nd battery will do, I don’t know if it will turn itself off. The change in Assistant will tell the drone it’s a different battery, but not communicate to the 2nd smart battery board. My only concern would be the 2nd battery shutdown.

Well I am just not sure what the 2nd battery will do, I don’t know if it will turn itself off. The change in Assistant will tell the drone it’s a different battery, but not communicate to the 2nd smart battery board. My only concern would be the 2nd battery shutdown.
Good point. I wonder how easy it is to remove the board from the battery...?

Good point. I wonder how easy it is to remove the board from the battery...?
I destroyed a Mavic battery last night trying to get the board off. I could have avoided
completely destroying it though. Unless you have a battery that you can spare, I would just use a lipo lihv. I only got 6 extra minutes with the 2nd Mavic Pro battery, in hover with battery clip.

Reactions: Robpol
I destroyed a Mavic battery last night trying to get the board off. I could have avoided
completely destroying it though. Unless you have a battery that you can spare, I would just use a lipo lihv. I only got 6 extra minutes with the 2nd Mavic Pro battery, in hover with battery clip.
This is an interesting read...

@TexasFlytography How's the nodding going dude?
Well my first test of an other than stock antenna with the 2 watt amp didn’t go well. So I have put this mod on hold. I had an extra dragon amp I was going to use but accidentally destroyed it by not using a solder wick to get the sma connector off the board, ripped up part of the pcb. So I have a splitter on order, and I’m going to try using both leg antennas as tx/rx with a dragon amp. I have also flipped the front legs around per @lolo780 ’s mod. Waiting on two protek 4100mahs to arrive then more tests. But I really don’t think I will ever need to do the birdside amp mod to get max, or 50K feet for that matter. But that’s the state of my modding thus far!!

Well my first test of an other than stock antenna with the 2 watt amp didn’t go well. So I have put this mod on hold. I had an extra dragon amp I was going to use but accidentally destroyed it by not using a solder wick to get the sma connector off the board, ripped up part of the pcb. So I have a splitter on order, and I’m going to try using both leg antennas as tx/rx with a dragon amp. I have also flipped the front legs around per @lolo780 ’s mod. Waiting on two protek 4100mahs to arrive then more tests. But I really don’t think I will ever need to do the birdside amp mod to get max, or 50K feet for that matter. But that’s the state of my modding thus far!!
I would love to lay my hands on a mavic Pro, it seems such a capable machine. What's your furthest distance so far?

I've just managed to aquire a phantom 3 standard which I took to 2.5km on Sunday, which I was very pleased with for a first run in the wind, weather conditions were not that good ?...
I went out touching 20m/s coming back no quicker than 4.5m/s....?

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I was worried after two miles with the Mavic air let alone 6 miles...
Good job dude
Thanks, lots of trial and error with my all diy set up. Only thing keeping me from max are the sideboard batteries. Multistar 3.0’s. And one of them has a cell that seems to be taking a dump. They are good to get you out to 40-45k. Also I desperately need to find a proper place to do a range test. As you see where I did my last 32k, it’s right outside of downtown Houston and in between take off and max point is a whole lot of inaccessible property should I need to land. It’s really my main issue.

Thanks, lots of trial and error with my all diy set up. Only thing keeping me from max are the sideboard batteries. Multistar 3.0’s. And one of them has a cell that seems to be taking a dump. They are good to get you out to 40-45k. Also I desperately need to find a proper place to do a range test. As you see where I did my last 32k, it’s right outside of downtown Houston and in between take off and max point is a whole lot of inaccessible property should I need to land. It’s really my main issue.
I'm doing all my testing over sea, so it's kinda not the best place, but I haven't got many other places to test.

The last test with the Phantom.. I might give the Mavic an outing this weekend.
Screenshot_20190604-062043.jpg

I'm doing all my testing over sea, so it's kinda not the best place, but I haven't got many other places to test.

The last test with the Phantom.. I might give the Mavic an outing this weekend.
View attachment 74488
I was doing my range tests over water at first. I got sick of the drive, and got the better rc antenna set up, so now I need a long stretch of no where to try Incase something goes wrong

I was doing my range tests over water at first. I got sick of the drive, and got the better rc antenna set up, so now I need a long stretch of no where to try Incase something goes wrong
You managed anymore testing yet dude? It's been quite windy where I live for a while and have really struggled to get out with either the Mavic air or the Phantom standard....

You managed anymore testing yet dude? It's been quite windy where I live for a while and have really struggled to get out with either the Mavic air or the Phantom standard....
I am going to see how the Mavic handles the 446 grams here shortly. Should have went this morning at 6-7am because of the heat. So I will at least zip her around a bit, but no long range today. I can’t find a suitable place to do a long range flight and it’s really beginning to be an issue. But I’ll put her in air to at least test the reverse front leg antennas, and see how she handles the 446.

I am going to see how the Mavic handles the 446 grams here shortly. Should have went this morning at 6-7am because of the heat. So I will at least zip her around a bit, but no long range today. I can’t find a suitable place to do a long range flight and it’s really beginning to be an issue. But I’ll put her in air to at least test the reverse front leg antennas, and see how she handles the 446.
Glad to hear you are able to get some flight time dude..
I wonder what the heaviest battery anyone has used on the MP successfully?

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are able to get some flight time dude..
I wonder what the heaviest battery anyone has used on the MP successfully?
The dude at the top of the leaderboard says 550 grams is max that it handles well. Beyond that it’s dragging a s s. I think 1 8000mah strapped to the bottom plus stock battery is what he ran for 60 minutes.

Mavic handles the two proteks like a beast. Plus I switched to platinum props, ditching the MAS props. I just got a 2.4ghz splitter and can’t figure out if I want to split the signal on the bird, and have both front legs tx/rx, or if I should do it at the remote in between the rc and two amps, and having two left antennas boosted 4watts, with a small, possibly the original Mavic RC right side un boosted. Or both lol....

Last edited:
View attachment 72823View attachment 72824Just got her put back together. Birdside amp mod. Just need to properly mount the amp power source. Probably hook and loop tape. Also I need to use an adhesive to make sure the open cable from the Mavic antenna that is coming out from under the left arm, is impossible to accidentally un attach itself. maybe add on on/off switch. I came out of the TX/RX radio port, and ran that through the back led plastic cover is and put white silicone to fill the hole. Amp is the 2.4ghz cheap amazon amp that is run off of 3.7-5 v. I currently have a 2000mah battery for it. We will see how this goes. I did this from research on this forum.
Any suggestions, advice or anything constructive will be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow pilots and Happy Modding!!
View attachment 72702View attachment 72708View attachment 72711View attachment 72712
Hell of a Pkg there Tex-!!
I've done similar stuff on my homemade AC- one of them I even put a 10,000mhA Lipo for one launch.
Keep it coming in-... the mods... :)
-AZ

Mavic handles the two proteks like a beast. Plus I switched to platinum props, ditching the MAS props. I just got a 2.4ghz splitter and can’t figure out if I want to split the signal on the bird, and have both front legs tx/rx, or if I should do it at the remote in between the rc and two amps, and having two left antennas boosted 4watts, with a small, possibly the original Mavic RC right side un boosted. Or both lol....
How the testing going dude?

Not been out myself lately as weather has been rubbish..

How the testing going dude?

Not been out myself lately as weather has been rubbish..
Weather, heat, and Major League Baseball NFZ has kept me out of the air lately. I went to test a new set up with the 8watt amp on the RC Sunday, had a bad cable, came back swapped it out, went back and needed an RP SMA connector on the one I swapped out...so I have a cable that works now, but I am up against rain, and the mlb NFZ this evening.
Here’s my new RC set up.A774B566-EEEA-44FC-A89F-30D612276DF4.jpeg27277DB6-34C0-462D-8364-DEF5B13E657C.jpegA2B3C68A-9868-4E62-B365-D1D6DFD44034.jpegA774B566-EEEA-44FC-A89F-30D612276DF4.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan