DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft side amplification of the TX/RX Stock antenna

Why? Why not!? 5dbi omnidirectional pcb antenna patched in place of the stock left tx/rx leg antenna.

View attachment 73493View attachment 73491View attachment 73492View attachment 73493
This was a failure. I have added longer legs with cork and heat shrink, and same kinda thing in the back. That coupled with the antenna arm, I watched the leg extensions shake or vibrate, so my guess is the antenna was vibrating horribly and sent me choppy video at 200 yards or less. So I’m hiking up the arse end a little, the way I had it before, with plastic spacers and ties, because I need clearance in the rear for the batteries.
So....hooking the amp back into the Mavic stock antenna... for now.

This is the end of my Aircraft side amp mod.
My attempt with this 2 watt amp...
At two miles out, the only way I can explain it is imagine spitting out 2.4ghz signal from your mouth as if it was full of water. You can maintain a stream up until you have gotten to the bottom of the tank. You start spewing and are near empty. This is what I believe happens with the signal at 2 miles with these amps. It starts spewing signal. I had an extra Dragon amp, but destroyed it trying to take off/put on a different sma out... so that’s the forum consensus that the Dragon is best birdside...
My findings after this and several other attempts, and researching the threads... to get to max distances the birdside amp mod isn’t worth the troubles. It’s not necessary. It seems to be a means of solid HD connection if you stay within 2 miles
Of the home point(the 2 watt amp that is) but coupled with two sideboard batteries, and the cell to power the amp... the bird will not fly straight. It seems to fly in a one o’clock direction when right stick is forward. I’m sure this is just placement of the amp and power cell, but it’s a pain the arse. I’m going with 2x protek 4100’s(LIHV 3S 120C sideboard mounted)As soon as I can get them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robpol
Any luck with the bottom mounted batteries yet?
Not yet, stupidly I bought standard Lipo batteries instead of LiHv Batteries, this caused the old voltage drop situation. I also didn't have much time this weekend.
To continue with this idea, I think I need some leg extensions for the Mavic Air to allow the battery to sit nicely, it was causing 'wobbling' when taking off and landing.
So, next port of call, LiHv battery(ies) and leg extensions, still want to try two on each side.
What battery location works best for you on the Mavic pro?

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Not yet, stupidly I bought standard Lipo batteries instead of LiHv Batteries, this caused the old voltage drop situation. I also didn't have much time this weekend.
To continue with this idea, I think I need some leg extensions for the Mavic Air to allow the battery to sit nicely, it was causing 'wobbling' when taking off and landing.
So, next port of call, LiHv battery(ies) and leg extensions, still want to try two on each side.
What battery location works best for you on the Mavic pro?
Side mounted next to the battery and under the front arms. I would like to try bottom mounted, but I am waiting to get the graphene Protek 4100’s. The issues with side mounted are prop wash, which isn’t all that bad but I’m sure it’s affecting performance, and crosswinds. I really try not to fly in winds at or above 8-10 mph. Which narrows down when I can fly because it’s rare to not have at least 10mph winds after 7am in Houston. I also keep having a heart attack when I am am flying a long range run, then all the sudden I see almost a full prop. I panic a little thinking that the bird has turned sideways. I believe wind is blowing the gimbal off one direction but it looks like it’s about to spiral by the looks of the video. Nope it’s the camera according to Airdata.

Last edited:
Side mounted next to the battery and under the front arms. I would like to try bottom mounted, but I am waiting to get the graphene Protek 4100’s. The issues with side mounted are prop wash, which is all that bad but I’m sure it’s affecting performance, and crosswinds. I really try not to fly in winds at or above 8-10 mph. Which narrows down when I can fly because it’s rare to not have at least 10mph winds after 7am in Houston. I also keep having a heart attack when I am am flying a long range run, then all the sudden I see almost a full prop. I panic a little thinking that the bird has turned sideways. I believe wind is blowing the gimbal off one direction but it looks like it’s about to spiral by the looks of the video. Nope it’s the camera according to Airdata.
The ProTeks do have some really good reviews although
I'm struggling to find a good source of LiHv batteries in the UK.
Your little panic moment made me think of a recent attack of seagulls on my Mavic Air, it dropped about 60m and somehow recovered, how i'll never know, the gimball was all messed up, eventually I got it home, was some heart stopping moments I can tell you...… Mind you, it recorded its fastest speed ever...183km..... when falling out of the air....lol :)

• Haha
The ProTeks do have some really good reviews although
I'm struggling to find a good source of LiHv batteries in the UK.
Your little panic moment made me think of a recent attack of seagulls on my Mavic Air, it dropped about 60m and somehow recovered, how i'll never know, the gimball was all messed up, eventually I got it home, was some heart stopping moments I can tell you...… Mind you, it recorded its fastest speed ever...183km..... when falling out of the air....lol :)
I think I remember seeing that post about the seagulls winning that battle lol... glad it recovered!!! DJi drones are great at regaining its bearing in a spin or fall. I am almost having a heart attack on every long range run. After 2-3 miles my heart is just pounding in my chest!!!
Is it difficult to get batteries shipped to the UK?

I think I remember seeing that post about the seagulls winning that battle lol... glad it recovered!!! DJi drones are great at regaining its bearing in a spin or fall. I am almost having a heart attack on every long range run. After 2-3 miles my heart is just pounding in my chest!!!
Is it difficult to get batteries shipped to the UK?
I have to admit, I've never tried getting batteries shipped to the UK, I guess the States would be a good start to look for a supplier but I wouldn't know where to start looking..Hobby King UK have limited stock..

I have to admit, I've never tried getting batteries shipped to the UK, I guess the States would be a good start to look for a supplier but I wouldn't know where to start looking..Hobby King UK have limited stock..
eBay brother!!

@TexasFlytography been thinking about my situation In struggling to get Decent light weight Lihv lipos, I might have plan..... ? Disassemble an original Mavic air battery and use this... Take off all plastic casings and solder two wires connected to pins 3&4 7&8 and come off with xt60 connector.... ? connect to the uavmods battery clip..

You fly the Mavic Air correct? I know that I have tried the Mavic Pro battery on top of the Mavic, had GPS errors and went immediately to sideboards thanks to another member @sprtbkrydr. Extra juice is extra juice.
Can you change parameters in Assistant with the Mavic Air?

@TexasFlytography been thinking about my situation In struggling to get Decent light weight Lihv lipos, I might have plan..... ? Disassemble an original Mavic air battery and use this... Take off all plastic casings and solder two wires connected to pins 3&4 7&8 and come off with xt60 connector.... ? connect to the uavmods battery clip..
You might as well solder in a balanced 3S cable while you are at it!!

You fly the Mavic Air correct? I know that I have tried the Mavic Pro battery on top of the Mavic, had GPS errors and went immediately to sideboards thanks to another member @sprtbkrydr. Extra juice is extra juice.
Can you change parameters in Assistant with the Mavic Air?
Yes I fly the Air, I was going to mount the battery underneath, I can get in to assistant 2 to change parameters.

You might as well solder in a balanced 3S cable while you are at it!!
I was hoping to still use the standard charging cable to charge the extra battery (keeping the standard connector). Solder the XT60 connector/wire onto the back of the battery connection, use this to make the connection with the uavmods battery clip..

Yes I fly the Air, I was going to mount the battery underneath, I can get in to assistant 2 to change parameters.

I was hoping to still use the standard charging cable to charge the extra battery (keeping the standard connector). Solder the XT60 connector/wire onto the back of the battery connection, use this to make the connection with the uavmods battery clip..
Should work great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots