DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airsense (ADS-B) in Europe is present but just firmware disabled?!

Yaros

Reactions
Hello, I am curious why is Airsense disabled on the Mavic Air 2 in Europe but not on the Air 2S. Any thoughts?
I recently stumbled upon this post where someone said that the ADS-B module is actually present inside the drone, it just isn't working. Pretty weird:

My guess would be they didn't get to obtain EU certification for the module in time or it didn't pass and they just decided to disable it and give themselves time to fix it for the next model...

Hello, I am curious why is Airsense disabled on the Mavic Air 2 in Europe but not on the Air 2S. Any thoughts?
I recently stumbled upon this post where someone said that the ADS-B module is actually present inside the drone, it just isn't working. Pretty weird:
Yes I have heard about this inside the battery compartment there is a model number if it ends in 3w it has airsence if it ends in 3n it does not. DJI have switched it off. I have asked if they are changing this at first they denied it. Then they said no we have no plans to switch it on. Gutted hope this changes.

Reactions: Yaros
Yes I have heard about this inside the battery compartment there is a model number if it ends in 3w it has airsence if it ends in 3n it does not. DJI have switched it off. I have asked if they are changing this at first they denied it. Then they said no we have no plans to switch it on. Gutted hope this changes.
Same! I really hope it changes, it's an essential safety feature in my opinion. Recently I saw a helicopter flying pretty close to my drone and got a little scared, I would probably see a notification in the app before that if I had Airsense.

Reactions: Drone Pilot192
I’m in Australia and I can confirm this. I was flying yesterday after switching back to the standard controller from the ‘Smart Controller’ (Which I’m convinced is an over-priced piece of crap) I’m running a Mavic Air 2 with iPhone XR with the latest builds of both DJI Fly and DroneLink.
Flew for a while with the standard Fly app but when I fired up DroneLink I started getting AirSense alerts so I can only assume that I have the model with ADS-B but the Fly app must be software locked.
Anybody know how to unlock the Fly app to allow ADS-B??

Anybody know how to unlock the Fly app to allow ADS-B??
I haven't tried it myself, I don't know if it is reliable.
You can see on the page linked above the FCC mod and then below the Airsense + FCC mod

Sounds like a scam to me. 41 Euros for a software mod that may or may not work. How do you install a hacked version of the iOS app without jailbreaking your phone? What about future updates? I’ll give this a miss on iOS but it may be possible on Android…

I just took it out in the driveway to try it again and screen captured to confirm, more to see if I’d imagined it yesterday, and yes it is definitely working through the DroneLink iOS app.

I just can’t imagine why DJI would intentionally hobble a feature that…

1. Is a major safety feature
2. The hardware is capable of doing
3. I have paid for and own

…other than to force you to buy the next model that is ‘Officially Supported’ if you want to use that feature.

Oh well, the work-around is to buy DroneLink (Which I would highly recommend anyway) as it gives you additional features like (Virtual stick) waypoints that the DJI Fly app does not.

Apparently now it gives you Air Sense as well!!

Bad form DJI!!

Attachments

• 70A7A9A0-E047-4C46-A85C-8F1C9B566B23.jpeg
    70A7A9A0-E047-4C46-A85C-8F1C9B566B23.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It's nice to have, when it works... Half of the local AC around here don't broadcast anything that DJI can detect. I live in Easley city limits. So, its really useless to me....

easley sectional.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121