DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I recently bought a Mavic pro, and though it's really easy to fly and setup, as an Airline Pilot I'm very serious about the flight preparation. Although there's a ton of checklists on the web, in the form of video or plain text, none of them met the standards I'm used to in professional aviation.

So I set forth and made one. I hope it's of use to someone, let me know what you think!

Cheers!

I'll summarize for everyone.
remove gimbal stuff, turn remote and mavic, glance at the controller to make sure flux capacitor is calibrated and then fly. Really, if you need any kind of a 'check list' to fly the most computer assisted flying camera ever made then.. lol.But thanks for the effort, I guess soccer mom friendly grocery list threads like this are needed when we can't discuss saucy and interesting stuff

I'm sure I flown mine father, faster, and much higher than you, but I don't think myself a pilot or need a 50 point checklist prior to flight. And sorry to say my friend, they are toys. They may fly but sadly for you, they are a toy no matter what your piece of paper says.

I beg to differ on your point of being force by the powers that be. It's individuals such as yourself that think you're a pilot flying an aircraft that will bring the hammer down by the powers that be...
Pretty sure that the powers that be, already considers us pilots, after the testing and hoops we jumped through. So, if a hammer comes down, it won't be so much on us, as it will be on the hobbyists.

Too bad you won't get this until it is too late.

Last edited:
I can not let this go on any longer......
I'm a chief engineer with a licence from the US coast guard
and can tell you I have been flying RC Helos for years (30+) and always start the craft then start the controller and Still to this day Have 8 Finger 2 thumb's and to this day it works for me.!
back in my day RC helo's were gas power with on board servos for control.......... Let that sink in for a awhile
.......C

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaNut
I'm sure I flown mine father, faster, and much higher than you, .
Sounds like you routinely break the rules - not sure that's something to be proud of.

Reactions: stratos
I'm sure I flown mine father, faster, and much higher than you, .
Growth for the human race is always a good thing
Sounds like you routinely break the rules - not sure that's something to be proud of.
What if...
Capt. Charles E. “Chuck” Yeager in 1947 said Nope I don't want to fly faster then the speed of sound because that is breaking Rules
..............C

Funny how you take a half quote that was purposely not completed by your buddy Robert to infer I break "rules". You know I break the "rules" how exactly? Due to the fact you know me so well?

Or is it you're just yet another hypocrite on his high hourse to virtue signal and tell us all how you would never break the rules. You never speed, you have never lied, and you're the best person on Earth because you follow all rules.

Give it up man. It's a tired and weak argument that no one, including yourself believes.

Wait, let me guess, you're a "pilot" too right? You're a pilot because you bought a thousand dollar piece of Chinese plastic that can fly with a camera mounted on it right?

When will you guys get over yourselves and realize all you're doing is flying a toy around and taking it far to seriously?

Last edited:
When will you guys get over yourselves and realize all you're doing is flying a toy around and taking it far to seriously?
Pretty cool how with my "pilots license" my "toy" paid the rent last month. LOL!

And just so you know, I've also been flying single engine manned aircraft since I was 17, and would appreciate it if you DID take it a little more seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: stratos
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I recently bought a Mavic pro, and though it's really easy to fly and setup, as an Airline Pilot I'm very serious about the flight preparation. Although there's a ton of checklists on the web, in the form of video or plain text, none of them met the standards I'm used to in professional aviation.

So I set forth and made one. I hope it's of use to someone, let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Seriously? [emoji849]

Easier version:

RPA battery
Controller battery
Tablet/phone/smart glasse battery check
Props check
Remove gimbal bubble and lock
Turn on Mavic
turn on Controller
Launch Go App
Wait for GPS Lock
Confirm GPS position in the Map
Confirm any interference
Ensure home location is free from obstacles
Enjoy your flight

I posted this on another topic that was similar. I don't hear a checklist for when I fly. I use the same Method as a skydiver. I start my checks the same way every time the same way. I work from the top to bottom checking everything. I check it in the plane as much as possible. With my mavic I remove it from the bag the same way. I won't list all the steps because they are the same as what's been posted. Works for some and not others. As long as you are flying safe then it's the right way.

Guy's lets tone this down a notch .
Thanks .

Reactions: RGL
Let me be clear about something:

No one needs to feel obligated to use this checklist, so for all who're saying checklists are overrated: good for you, please move on.

When I just got the Mavic, I couldn't find a clear list describing all the important things you need to know. That's why I made this list. If you've got 50h+ of flight experience I guess you've created your own flow and you don't need any checklist. However, I made this list so people can learn the right way of doing things (so far nobody has been posting suggestions for improvements) from the start on.

About the seriousness of flying the Mavic:

The mavic is a wonderful piece of tech, a nice way to get a decent camera up in the skies. It's not a reaper drone nor is it a commercial airliner. But to dismiss it as a toy is something dangerous.

After all you're flying an aircraft, and sharing the skies with other aircraft. As an airline pilot I can assure you that a drone, even the tiny Mavic pro, can cause significant damage to bigger aircraft, like an Airliner. It's not about the capabilities of the Mavic; pretty much everything you hit at an airspeed of 200 knots (around 370kph or 230mph) can cause an engine to malfunction, hydraulic lines to rupture, and so forth.

I just want to emphasize that drone flying is a serious thing, and the pilots (or drone operators, if you will) have to behave accordingly.

Cheers

No one needs to feel obligated to use this checklist, so for all who're saying checklists are overrated: good for you, please move on.

When I just got the Mavic, I couldn't find a clear list describing all the important things you need to know. That's why I made this list. If you've got 50h+ of flight experience I guess you've created your own flow and you don't need any checklist. However, I made this list so people can learn the right way of doing things (so far nobody has been posting suggestions for improvements) from the start on.

The mavic is a wonderful piece of tech, a nice way to get a decent camera up in the skies. It's not a reaper drone nor is it a commercial airliner. But to dismiss it as a toy is something dangerous.

After all you're flying an aircraft, and sharing the skies with other aircraft. As an airline pilot I can assure you that a drone, even the tiny Mavic pro, can cause significant damage to bigger aircraft, like an Airliner. It's not about the capabilities of the Mavic; pretty much everything you hit at an airspeed of 200 knots (around 370kph or 230mph) can cause an engine to malfunction, hydraulic lines to rupture, and so forth.

I just want to emphasize that drone flying is a serious thing, and the pilots (or drone operators, if you will) have to behave accordingly.

Cheers

Very well said! Let's leave it at that. BTW, thanks for a great list!

Cheers
Well said. And thanks for your list, I think it a good one.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Thank you for the list. Awesome. Toy... really? Modern airliners can take off and land virtually unaided by a human. Does that make them a toy? No... You still need two or three experienced pilots to control it. The Mavic isn’t a toy either. The moment you lose respect for it, is the moment you hurt yourself or someone else. Really, really basic physics, 2 pound Mavic hits person traveling at 30 mph equals 60 pounds of force. Try dropping a 60 pound rock on your foot. Doesn’t sound like much of a toy to me.

Well thought out checklist. Who do you fly for? I too am a commercial pilot and have taken my Mavic on a few layovers. Just wondering if you've done that and if so, where have you taken it?

You wanna keep calling these toys, go ahead. At some point you'll realize that unless we start taking them seriously, as the aircraft that they are, we will be forced to, by powers that be.

Matter of fact, when I'm flying under p107, I MUST have a preflight checklist and adhere to it.

Personally, I'm impressed that an airline captain, or a professional helicopter pilot, sees these for what they are, and would take the time to assist.

You might fly yours for fun, a few feet off the ground, but many of us need to go places where a mistake might cause some damage, at best, or some lives, at worst, and checklists are a good way to help prevent that.
Amen...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian