DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone tried spherical 360 panoramas yet?

aparis99

Reactions
Just got the M2P and only had 30 mins to play with it this morning. I did try a spherical panorama and fairly please with the result, but it's only a 2D jpg. The 360° metadata isn't embedded I don't guess b/c FB and Google Photos don't see it as a 360° image.

Any recommendation on how to make this a real 360°?

Ive tried them, is OK but the gimbal only goes to +15 not the full +30 it can go to (and mavic 1 did). So far less sky meaning more effort or uglier in post.

I make a 360 from the DNGs.
Two ways of turning a photo into a true 360.

You can use an online service like NadirPatch.com make panorama photo for facebook or a windows tool like Exif-Fixer (my personal choice).

Reactions: Cslucas34
I don't like the Go4 auto-pano mode as it points the camera down on the first shot to meter the light then uses that meter reading for the rest of the shots so the sky is always blown out.

Or it's possible that it doesn't wait long enough prior to each shot for proper exposure metering so I have to edit all of individual pics before I stitch them. Plus it won't allow the use of AEB for panos so I'm waiting for a better tool like Litchi to do a proper exposure for each shot taken. I usually used FPV Camera for good panos but it is a dead project so it won't be updated for the Mavic 2s.

BTW, I use PTGui to stich panos and has been an excellent tool.

Reactions: sebip
I don't like the Go4 auto-pano mode as it points the camera down on the first shot to meter the light then uses that meter reading for the rest of the shots so the sky is always blown out.
Or it's possible that it doesn't wait long enough prior to each shot for proper exposure metering so I have to edit all of individual pics before I stitch them. Plus it won't allow the use of AEB for panos so I'm waiting for a better tool like Litchi to do a proper exposure for each shot taken. I usually used FPV Camera for good panos but it is a dead project so it won't be updated for the Mavic 2s.

Interesting. On the two I've done, it metered on it's first shot which was about -15° downward so it was pretty accurate and locked the exposure from there. I will say these two were on mostly cloudy days and I don't have to worry about too much dynamic range problems, but I'm pretty happy with these, but I just want them recognized as a 360, which I will try gnirtS's recommendation.

360s on the M2 are much slower than the M1 meaning exposure adjusts.
On the mavic 1 i did manual expose and metered off the brightest part to JUST burn that out.
Then on Bridge its just a quick "Ctrl A" and click "Auto" to fix the differences.

Mavic 1 had a bug where auto pano would ignore EV so i;ll test at some point to see if M2 if thats fixed.

My main issue is the lack of sky, you need to clone or stretch substantially more so its far uglier than the mavic 1. The gimbal can go up to 30 degrees but for panos only does 15 at the moment.

Hmmm, will either of the be "interactive?" I guess not - at least, not here!

Attachments

• PANO0001 Panorama--.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I did one yesterday with my Mavic 2 Pro. I think the camera and DJI Go 4 software did a spectacular job!! I used to use Hanger 360, which worked OK most of the time, but the DJI software in far superior, and I don't have to upload the images. Here is a link to see it.
First Spherical Pano Mavic 2 Pro

Last edited:
I did one yesterday with my Mavic 2 Pro.

SPM: Yep, the M2P does a great job with spherical panos and I wanted to add that the geography and countryside in your area is really panoramic, (no pun intended.) :) I didn't see any large city even in the distance so you must be way out. Very nice job.

SPM: Yep, the M2P does a great job with spherical panos and I wanted to add that the geography and countryside in your area is really panoramic, (no pun intended.) :) I didn't see any large city even in the distance so you must be way out. Very nice job.
Thanks. The area is beautiful and not that remote. It is in the Buchanan, Virginia area. That is about 15 miles south of Lexington, VA and about 30 miles north of Roanoke, VA. I think the software did an admirable job with the stitching. No glitches that I could find. It even filled in the zenith area.

I did one yesterday with my Mavic 2 Pro. I think the camera and DJI Go 4 software did a spectacular job!! I used to use Hanger 360, which worked OK most of the time, but the DJI software in far superior, and I don't have to upload the images. Here is a link to see it.
First Spherical Pano Mavic 2 Pro
I'm sorry for the late reply and question... But did you upload the spherical pano from the drone directly to kuula? I think your "First Pano" is really incredibly good. :)

Reactions: cloneme
Actually, I did NO post processing of the pano. I usually bring the drone home, pop out the sd card, then upload from my desktop. I was surprised by the quality of the pano also!!

Actually, I did NO post processing of the pano. I usually bring the drone home, pop out the sd card, then upload from my desktop. I was surprised by the quality of the pano also!!
Thanks for your reply!

I tried to stitch a pano yesterday with Lightroom. The problem was, that it cuts away the sky. The DJI go 4 App adds the drone’s non-visible area to the top... and I think that is it, what makes it „equirectangular“ for a Koola Import.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan