DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery help going to Europe

studio

Reactions
Leaving for Europe tomorrow and taking the Mavic. While checking in I get a notice about Lithium batteries. Have 3 batteries in a foil pouch. Not sure where to place in them? Under or in my carry on? Please advsie

I think your best bet is to keep the batteries in your carry on.
Safe flight

Multiply the battery volts x Ah, and that must not exceed 72Wh in carry on bag 11.4 x 3.3 = an awkward 43.662, I think ?

Last edited:
If your not traveling alone I would try spreading out the load so to speak give another battery to some one to take on for you.
I would def take two if they ask you tell them it s 11 x 3 = 33 wh x 2 = 66 wh and plead innocent .
Have a good trip

Multiply the battery volts x Ah, and that must not exceed 72Wh in carry on bag 11.4 x 3.3 = an awkward 43.662, I think ?

That's different to the FAA/TSA regulations, which doesn't limit number of batteries provided they are each less than 100 Wh.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.

With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

I haven't had any problems. I only got checked once. Just discharge your battery below 30%. Press the power button to show they aren't fully charged if asked by customs?

Reactions: MavicAirMike
You must have them in the carry-on and it's indeed an "unlimited" number of batteries as long as they're under 100Wh each which is the case here.

I haven't had any problems. I only got checked once. Just discharge your battery below 30%. Press the power button to show they aren't fully charged if asked by customs?

Yes, make sure they are under powered. Remember, if you get one of these batteries really wet, they will ignite and that's what we DON'T want to happen. The protective pouches won't hurt. I've recently read (but, please verify for yourself) that there is a three battery limit, one in the device and two outside. Again, these things change from month to month and I'm only repeating what I read, not what I experienced.

Flying United call the 800 number and they told me it was OK to put them in my checked baggage??

I've just flown British Airways last week with a drone and three batteries in hand baggage. UK to Cyprus.BA stipulate no more than 4 'spare' batteries, must be in carried in hand baggage, not the hold, and must be in original packaging or packaged separately so they can't touch/short out. 'Spare' means not installed in the drone, so you have one fitted and four spares.

Heathrow airport security didn't bat an eyelid or ask me to unpack to check, even though they were clearly visible and labelled as what they were, so I guess they are used to it and cool about it. - P

Just went through TSA pulled the foil bag out ran all three through no one questioned it.

I've just flown British Airways last week with a drone and three batteries in hand baggage. UK to Cyprus.BA stipulate no more than 4 'spare' batteries, must be in carried in hand baggage, not the hold, and must be in original packaging or packaged separately so they can't touch/short out. 'Spare' means not installed in the drone, so you have one fitted and four spares.

Heathrow airport security didn't bat an eyelid or ask me to unpack to check, even though they were clearly visible and labelled as what they were, so I guess they are used to it and cool about it. - P

Around 6 months ago Heathrow security did want to inspect my Mavic. They said that they had guessed that it was some kind of drone but wanted to confirm. They showed no interest at all in the 3 spare batteries, or that one was installed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes