DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be honest have you read the Dji Mavic owners manual from cover to cover?

Have you read the DJI Mavic owner's manual cover to cover?

• Yes I have front to back

Votes: 92 80.0%
  • I skimmed it to find what I needed.

Votes: 23 20.0%

• Total voters
A few times. I also printed it out in a half sheet binder. An hour of reading is nothing compared to the minimum 2 weeks for a repair. As mentioned above a lot of issues could be avoided by reading the thing.

Not sure about others, but mine did come with a complete manual. It is tiny as heck but fit inside the little black bix.

Reactions: spacebeagle
It is really up to one's preferred method of learning. Some learn better by reading, others by visuals. Some only seek help by asking others when in trouble

Yup, maybe 3/4 times over the passing months. I always get something "new" that I didn't get/absorb.
I have a copy on my flying tablet, a printed copy on my nightstand when tv sux, and a copy in the bathrom for,well, you know..........

Yes, I read it. Because I am a noob, first drone, and a LOT of the you tube videos out there don't spend enough time explaining what comes first.. ie. Do a IMU calibration then do a Compass Calibration. I even printed out the manual and read it rather than skim reading it on a PC screen :)

As one of the people who placed an order early October 2016 who didn’t get their hands on a Mavic until March 2017, I had plenty of time to read the manual before first flight.

Over the past 12 months I must have read it a number of times

Reactions: Ken13151
I've had my Mavic since last February. Waited forever to get it... must have read the manual every word front to back at least 10 times in anticipation. Occasionally I do a refresher as there have been multiple updates to the user manual since then, the latest being released on December 19, 2017. You can find it here https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf

About 3 times actually

Why bother? I could care less about Wi-Fi control or hand gestures or several other things. Reading the ENTIRE manual only makes sense if the ENTIRE manual applies to your needs. I seek knowledge as I need it, when I need it. If I see a section that covers something I have already learned, what's the point in reading it? I even printed and spiral bound the manual. But heck no I haven't read it "cover to cover" nor will I ever.

Last edited:
Why bother? I could care less about Wi-Fi control or hand gestures or several other things. Reading the ENTIRE manual only makes sense if the ENTIRE manual applies to your needs. I seek knowledge as I need it, when I need it. If I see a section that covers something I have already learned, what's the point in reading it? I even printed and spiral bound the manual. But heck no I haven't read it "cover to cover" nor will I ever.

But what happens if you need that knowledge mid flight? Are you gonna drop the rc at that point to do the research, or would you rather already have that info readily accessible in your brain so you don’t go into panic mode and make things worse.

Reactions: TrayBoz
Instructions are a last resort. For everything. Assembling furniture and such included.
It is a violation of the man card rules to admit defeat. That is what wives are for. They get tired of hearing us complain and look it up for us.

I read the Mavic to also learn about the features that I use as well as those I don't
Each new fact you learn does not erase an old fact Humm well I hope they don't..

I got my mavic pro for Christmas. Once I knew what I was getting I downloaded the manual read it before I opened the box and have read it about 2 other times since. I have it downloaded on my ipad that I use for flying and I skim through it before flying to refresh myself.

But what happens if you need that knowledge mid flight? Are you gonna drop the rc at that point to do the research, or would you rather already have that info readily accessible in your brain so you don’t go into panic mode and make things worse.
There is absolutely no chance I will go into "panic mode" mid flight by not understanding hand gestures or wifi connections or Tap fly. Or any of the other intelligent flight modes i don't use, like follow me or terrain follow or course lock, or draw or any of the other I have no interest in right now. When I need that, I'll watch a bunch of YouTube videos that will explain it far, far better than the manual. Trust me, I have read and understand the stuff that matters to what I do with my Mavic. I've watched a hundred hours of YouTube videos, over and over and over. My new TV had a manual too. Didn't read that either, it cost 3 times what my Mavic cost and everything is going just fine.

I printed out the PDF, bound it, read it cover to cover, actually probably 2 or 3 times, plus I can't remember how many times I've gone back to look something up. This forum is a huge help to me, the You Tube videos are nice, but I find that, while the manual could be better written, and better organized, if you look hard enough, most of the answers are there. My Mavic was, to me, a VERY expensive investment, so I am trying to take good care of it. Having said that, if anyone ever writes a "Mavic for Dummies" I'll be first in line to buy a copy.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Printed out the PDF and read it. There's still lots of stuff I can't remember.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One