DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird attacks

ruggb

Reactions
Has anyone experimented with decals, googly eyes, or scare tape as a deterent?

Reactions: mereflyer
I really think it depends on the birds. I've had Osprey dive on me and seagulls have swarmed around my mavic. Swallows go nuts around it too. I fly with a friend who went with an orange skin and still has the same issues. I almost always fly with strobes and still have bird issues from time to time. There are several posts if you search.
Skin's to prevent bird attacks?

I had hummingbirds and crows chasing after mine until I covered with holographic skin. Took a hour or so to install and get any bubbles out. Also, use a hairdryer on the edges and it will look perfect and you won't have any problems with it peeling.20180123_233054.jpg

Last edited:
I have flown 188 hours with my mp up till now. I have only had doves and swallows follow me around but its more curiosity than anything else. Crows gets out of dodge. Geese and ducks dont seems to give a dam. I have come across a Fish eagle once and it also got out of dodge. I do not really worry that much about birds.

Eagles seem to be the only ones that might go for a drone if you google bird attacks but then again it does not seem very frequent.

Looks like you have some ceiling left. It would be better climbing since the bird can probably outpace a drone diving, wouldn't it?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Looks like you have some ceiling left. It would be better climbing since the bird can probably outpace a drone diving, wouldn't it?
I just did what seemed at the time to be the best thing - it worked! and no - the birds did not follow my very rapid rate of descento_O

My strategy for avoidance (if I actually detect a bird) is to climb. I don't know of any bird that can sustain a vertical climb at over 9 mph, but they certainly can descend at 6.5 mph. Secondly, most birds (except the big predatory birds) don't like to stick around at 400 ft.

The most I've ever had was a raven show interest in a low altitude flyby. However, just wait until spring when they get territorial. I'll get hit someday.

Reactions: Danny M
I have googly eyes on the top front and rear and Firehouse dual LED strobes top & bottom. I haven't found the cut holo at Titan Drones - but I found a 20cm x 152cm roll for $7.84 Might be worth it to buy a cheap decal set for $7. and use it as a template to cut this.
Those strobe will probably blind them so the won't even see the eyes. Guess I will test what I have.

Not had a problem...yet.

But what about a very loud noise maker? Aka: a .22 cabiler rim fire blank cap?
Bird gets close a pop goes the cap. Scare it away? this is with other avoidance measures taken.

great idea - just need to buy a handgun, get a concealed carry permit, drawing more attention from the police responding to shots fired, and risk being shot when they respond to "GUN!". M80s would be a little safer for the pilot, I suppose.

Reactions: Lucas Galli
Never said “gun”

Just a pop cap. No barrel.
Only a chamber, firing pin, set up.
Not possible to shoot anything with this, it is only a noise maker.
But how would the drone handle it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78