DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choosing a strobe to use

LepeOutlaw

Reactions
Looking to buy some sort of affordable strobe for my air 2, in the uk. Firehouse strobes are unavailable to get here cost effectively and i was looking between the ulanzi dr 01/02 and the flytron strobon cree standalone. Anyone have any experience with these?

Cheers

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz, LepeOutlaw. I have tried tree types of Strobes and the biggest issue for me, is how they are mounted on the drone. I use mainly leg mounts on the phantom and Mavic's for the Firehouse strobes and and Velcro for the Ulanzi and cubes. the leg mounts help i locating my drone at distance and the top mounted strobes help with warding of the evil raptors that we have in abundance here in the NT. Seems to work.
Anyway enjoy your time on the forum, I'm sure there will be a lot more responses to your query.
Regards

Reactions: Mavikhan
Looking to buy some sort of affordable strobe for my air 2, in the uk. Firehouse strobes are unavailable to get here cost effectively and i was looking between the ulanzi dr 01/02 and the flytron strobon cree standalone. Anyone have any experience with these?

Cheers
:) Welcome aboard!
I bought some strobes from @msinger a couple of years ago for a phantom and still use them today. I love them. Check with him and see if he can fix you up. ?

Is Lume Cube or Topsun available for you in the UK?

I use a TopSun amazon.com/TOPSUN-Flights-Quadcopter-Inspire-Phantom/dp/B07MY2YM69 currently unavailable. It is single mode and blinding white strobe. About < $10 less than Lume Cube with its several colored snap on caps.
A similar device using the same housing as that above amazon.com/dp/B07VS28T2N/ref=dp_prsubs_2 has but 4 LEDs compared to previous strobe link. Same price for each, when previously available.

I bought a couple of the Ulanzi DR-02’s and they are very light and easy to mount either via Velcro on top or elastic bands that are included.

Very, very bright and you can choose between white, red and green lights.

Attachments

• 579B135D-AF35-414C-99A5-FC7C611E0D9C.jpeg
    579B135D-AF35-414C-99A5-FC7C611E0D9C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 65221F59-01AA-40EF-A948-F5A0D03388F4.jpeg
    65221F59-01AA-40EF-A948-F5A0D03388F4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
@Gagey52 - thanks for the information, i will consider that.

@Mavikhan - unfortunately i'm in the uk, postage costs would be far too high and i'm sure there are other restrictions in that sort of area.

@vindibona1 - i could get some lume cubes but they are way out of my price range, the ones i can currently see are selling at £130/$180 for a 3 pack, seems like far too much for what it is. Topsuns don't seem to be available much either.

@Heretik - the 'similar' device is in stock, although a bit more expensive than i'd like, does the slightly higher price justify that and how's the performance at longer distances?

@k9kids - those would be easy to get, and quite cheap, hence why I wonder how good their performance is.

I bought a couple of the Ulanzi DR-02’s and they are very light and easy to mount either via Velcro on top or elastic bands that are included.

Very, very bright and you can choose between white, red and green lights.
Those would make great navigational lights. Red and Green are common aboard watercraft discerning left and right. I cant quote the rule governing FAA required strobe lighting but Id doubt those meet that requirement.

They wouldn’t. Ulanzi claims they’re visible up to three kilometers away. FAA says anti collision lights for night flying must be visible for three miles.?

I think they’re best used as an aide for close drone orientation. Really a novelty product. Line of sight disappears long before three kilometers.???

Cheers
I recommend the flytron strobon cree. I have a red and white one. There small and very very bright!

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz, LepeOutlaw. I have tried tree types of Strobes and the biggest issue for me, is how they are mounted on the drone. I use mainly leg mounts on the phantom and Mavic's for the Firehouse strobes and and Velcro for the Ulanzi and cubes. the leg mounts help i locating my drone at distance and the top mounted strobes help with warding of the evil raptors that we have in abundance here in the NT. Seems to work.
Anyway enjoy your time on the forum, I'm sure there will be a lot more responses to your query.
Regards

I downloaded the FAA official release of the new regulations and read through the strobe section. They do not specify a color,they state that they believe that white is the most visible. They require that the light must be visible from 3 nm, be placed on the top of the drone and must be a strobe not a constant on light. There are no restrictions on how many more you have but you must have at least one on the top side

Last edited:

Cheers
Although I use a strobe (Firehouse), I actually usually do not turn it on if there are a lot of people around, or police. It is just one of my self directed "stealth" flying techniques to keep a LOW PROFILE. No vests, no pests. Sorry I cannot help with the purchase. I do love the Firehouse size and brightness.

Although I use a strobe (Firehouse), I actually usually do not turn it on if there are a lot of people around, or police. It is just one of my self directed "stealth" flying techniques to keep a LOW PROFILE. No vests, no pests. Sorry I cannot help with the purchase. I do love the Firehouse size and brightness.
That's a good point, however I am lucky to be flying in places generally sparse of people and over water, so I'm not usually bothered by people, and if they do happen to ask, it's usually something positive.

Firehouse the only way to go try Etsy shopping... if I was to say be silly and break the law which of course being a responsible drone pilot i wouldn't lol... say I flew at night at around 120 meters altitude I'm pretty sure I could see it 2.4 klms away easy ....
They say 1000 Lumins
1d31e5a7fe03e380bd9f370f5888b80b.jpg
9f3c2d02ac52958b10d21356199ed5e0.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue