DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clockwise vs anticlock wise, is there an imbalance in which sense/handing of props you have replaced?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
I think if you swapped CW for CCW, the drone would yaw left when you push the stick to the right and vice versa, and you'd probably want to fly in ATTI mode so the software doesn't ever try to control the heading. :p
this is not something that would ever be done it was a theoretical scenario that i was putting forwards to the OP question

Reactions: RogerDH
Fair enough but either swapping over motors or changing the direction in which they rotate seems a bit extreme as well as invalidating the warranty and probably care fresh.
BTW flying sideways swaps the direction of the leading RH motor etc etc.

All the above said by everyone, no one has answered the titular question.
As just a matter of statistics, I think you'd need a lot more samples to judge how random the damage has been. It's possible to flip Heads many times in a row.

Reactions: old man mavic
IF and only if you are tending to follow the cinematic convention (which followed the western reading convention) of panning from camera left to camera right and your flying to take advantage of this it would seem plausible that the starboard forward prop would be the one most likely to impact first. Obviously this is not hard and fast rule just a possible explanation?

What's the main reason you've changed props? I'd expect crash damage to be relatively random. Deformed props may have a slight bias. The order of folding/storing the blades may follow a subconscious user routine, or the arms may sit fractionally differently when folded, prejudicing one set of props more than the other.

On a helicopter, the tail rotor is what we used to call the anti-rotor back in the 60's, whose main purpose is to compensate for gyroscopic precession. Without it, the blades would turn in one direction and the body of the a/c will rotate in the opposite direction. The pitch in the rotors and the direction it rotates has to match to attain lift off.

What's the main reason you've changed props?
The first literal one or two pairs were the warpage thing coupled with, from memory, very slight dents in the leading edge, no other props have been replaced for warpage reasons as my flymore case storage regime seems to work. All other replacements have been solely for damage.
routine, or the arms may sit fractionally differently when folded
With my storage regime, rear props pointing forward under the gimbal but only slightly intermeshed, the tips of the left rear blades ALWAYS want to go over the tips of the right rear blades.
The fronts I take no notice of as they are not intermeshed and stored over their respective arms

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to suspect no one else has noticed an imbalance. Must be down to me then

I've yet to replace any of the props so have no data to notice any bias or lack thereof. I get the feeling that the left rear props are slightly more susceptible to combo-case-squashing than the right, based on posts about uncommanded descents I've seen.

Last edited:
thank you, anyone else?
I'm not sure how your props are getting damaged. If you fly into something you should certainly know what direction you were going as to what props were damaged.
I have been using my props for almost two years and they show no damage at all. I just changed them because I am having a yaw problem to the right, and since
I have an original new set I decided to try that., no difference, the old props were fine. You say you have knicks or cracks? Rotation direction is a non issue if you are hitting things.
If you are not there would be no knicks. Your flying in a particular way couldn't possibly be the problem, unless its Nascar in one direction only. I'm at a loss,
sorry I can't help. ????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique