DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complaints from others while flying

What kind of interactions have you had with disgruntled neighbors, Karens or law enforcement while flying your drone?

How did you handle it?
What was the outcome?
I try to avoid people as much as possible and even though some folks have noticed my drone, they generally smile and nod.
I had one Karen who approached me in a very annoying, nagging fashion telling me that I can't take pictures of her building. I told her that I wasn't and continued to fly another half hour from the same spot. She didn't bother me after that...
I get pestered by birds more than people if anything.

I try to avoid people as much as possible and even though some folks have noticed my drone, they generally smile and nod.
I had one Karen who approached me in a very annoying, nagging fashion telling me that I can't take pictures of her building. I told her that I wasn't and continued to fly another half hour from the same spot. She didn't bother me after that...
Why can't you take pictures of her building?

I didn't engage her with that question. Even though I could legally take photos of her building, I wasn't going to have a back and forth discussion about it.
You know what the best way to get yourself out of this kind of situation is to not engage and you did right. On the other hand, there are some circumstances when you should highly react.

I am super new here and about buy my 1st drone. How do you deal with birds?
Best I have seen on YouTube is bright red reflective stripes of tape over parts of your drone.

Best I have seen on YouTube is bright red reflective stripes of tape over parts of your drone.
Your best bet is to fly straight up if you're being stalked by birds. That's a manuever they can't do, then get away from them. Certain birds are notorious for attacking drones (such as seagulls) especially during nesting season.

I have had a 'Ken' complain and even call the cops for 'flying over his house'. When he started yelling across the street, and threatening to call the cops, I calmly replied "please do, so they can let you know that only the FAA controls the airspace.
When the police arrived, I showed them the video ( I always video my entire flight just in case). We calmly discussed the regulations, and the officer let me know that they had received training on the regulations, thanked ME for being calm, and went over to inform 'Ken' that I was right.
'Ken' loudly told the officer that he'd just shoot it out of the air, and was quickly informed that if he did, he would go to jail for discharging a firearm in the city. Next, he yelled that he would just use a high powered pellet gun, but was shut down when the officer informed him that even that would be discharging a firearm, and he would be arrested.
Since then, he hasn't said anything to me, and that's fine with me.
What kind of interactions have you had with disgruntled neighbors, Karens or law enforcement while flying your drone?

How did you handle it?
What was the outcome?

I engage anyone nearby where I plan to launch from immediately. I politely explain what I'm planning to do and would it bother them, and if yes I don’t fly.

Hasn't happened yet (don't fly).

Then offer to answer any questions they have, usually a few. Then fly without issue.

Since I fly often at a State Park beach with cliffs (it's allowed by the park authorities) I have this sort of encounter about 10% of the time.

With drone flying, as in life in general, so much comes down to respect. When you show you respect and honor other people's activities, thoughts, and feelings, it's usually returned.

If instead you get all assertive about your rights and confrontational about the perspective of the other party, different quite predictable results usually follow.

How did you handle it?
What was the outcome?
To be honest, I haven't had issues with disgruntled neighbors. Several reasons I attribute to not having issues. One I have told all my neighbors that I fly drones (via neighborhood webpage). Two, I never loiter over their houses or property unless they specifically ask. While flying in the neighborhood I will follow roads and at least try to respect privacy. If anyone has questions I invite them to stop by for a cup of coffee and I will show them my drones, that seems to end the mystic about them.

Law enforcement, haven't had the pleasure but i wear my FAA Registration and Trust Certificate around my neck. I also don't fly in any kind of restricted areas.

Karens; haven't had any issues with them either "yet" but if someone gets in my face I am formidable and I don't care the gender. I won't scream at you as long as you don't scream at me. I also won't entertain the absurd. But lucky to this point it has not been an issue.

Reactions: ericole and Torque
Somebody posted this way back when. I carry a couple copies for LE & Karens. I'm in Canada, but basically the same.

Attachments

• what are you doing with that drone.pdf
    948.8 KB · Views: 35
Last weekend while flying at noon in a mixed residential and small businesses area where there are high-rise apartment complexes, while at about 250 feet high I got a sudden warning "Aircraft nearby" and I could hear the low flying helicopter approaching me and then going in the direction of my drone. I didn't have much time so I lowered my drone to wait for about a minute or two because there was no way to out-manuever the helicopter due to tall buildings. As soon as all clear, I took a look around to make sure I was oriented before I come home and I realized that I had hovered for at least 2 minutes not far from the side of an apartment complex full of windows.

Best approach? Don't fly around courting or nesting birds, both for their good and yours. Other than that, I don't worry about them. Bird strikes with drones is one of those things that people like to talk about, but aren't really statistically very significant - like shark attacks and winning the lottery. Trees and power lines are far more likely to take your down down than birds.

Despite what's said by an individual in the Youtube world, there's nothing in the real world to suggest that birds are repelled by red stripes.

There's a lot you need to think about as a new drone pilot, but birds are not high on the list. Get your TRUST certificate and watch some good intro videos on the drone model you buy. The Pilot Institute has some very good "deep dive" videos on individual drone models and some good videos for new pilots.

Fly safe. Have fun. Don't worry about the birds.

Agreed I used to be worried about birds and while I do get chased sometimes, they are mostly harmless. If you really get attacked, you'll know it but that will be super rare.

Put your drone in top speed and gain altitude really fast. Whilst the bird is trying to climb, quickly lose altitude when the bird is not expecting it. They can dive very quickly so be certain to watch carefully if it closes in tightly. At which point you would quickly climb again. Sometimes the bird will lose interest, but other times they can be persistent and pester you even more, to which landing your drone temporarily is the best solution.

Reactions: roger boivin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_